PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating $$$???

05-07-2002, 09:51 PM
anyone have an idea of what powdercoating a frame may cost.
i just need an idea...thanx

also, do i need to strip the frame or will most plasces handle that?

JustRace
05-07-2002, 11:07 PM
I'm sure Chris Waters will ring in on this. He is the powdercoating expert.

Leo
05-08-2002, 05:12 AM
I had my frame, subframe, swingarm, and steering stem done..

I gave them the bare parts, they sandblasted / degreased / powdercoated 2 coats of gloss black for $250.

Leo

Ben
05-08-2002, 05:25 AM
I paid the same as Leo for the same parts. I gave them my bare parts and they took care of the rest. No places around here will dissassmble the bike for you. Even if they would, I personally wouldn't trust someone else to do it.

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 07:54 AM
I got my frame, subframe, steering stem, alum airbox, spindles, hubs, steering collar, swingarm, a-arms, exhaust shield all powdercoated 2 coats with mirror red and black covered with sparkles and my header ceramic powdercoated all for $200!!! I just took it to them, and they did all the blasting etc!!!! this is a huge PC shop that does mass amounts of powdercoating!!

Jim300ex
05-08-2002, 01:24 PM
i wanna get my frame powdercoated in the winter anyone know who can do it for me in PA??

CBW
05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by JustRace
I'm sure Chris Waters will ring in on this. He is the powdercoating expert.

well i am no expert,,,i have messed up my share of stuff and redone it,,,but thanks ;) and as far as how much $$$,,,,,,, it will vary,,,sometimes widely,,,from shop to shop. I cant even compete with shops like the one chad took his stuff to price wise. But for a full frame stripped and two coats applied is usually 155 in a standard color. But shipping is usually a determining factor.......

EricB
05-08-2002, 01:29 PM
chad you have a picture of the stuff that you got poweder coated? sounds like it looks cool.

05-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by CHRIS WATERS

But shipping is usually a determining factor.....

Ken Cornwell owner of Rocky Ridge Racing knows of a way to ship a frame one way UPS for around $30,,,that's seems ta be pretty cheap I think...Chris I still plan on having you do my frame but it's gonna be tough ta get that info out of ken,,being that he sponsors my riding buddy chris29 and he also does gussetting and powdercaoting here in KY about an hour away,,,I'm sure he's gonna want to do it, but who knows maybe he'll tell me the secret so I can have you do it.

CBW
05-08-2002, 01:36 PM
yeah that does sound cheap,,,,,,wish i knew his secret to:D

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 01:58 PM
its no secret!!! they do damned good work too!!!! go to the TC 505 post in the open forum and you can see pics!! I will bump it for you!!!

CBW
05-08-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
its no secret!!! they do damned good work too!!!! go to the TC 505 post in the open forum and you can see pics!! I will bump it for you!!!

i meant the shipping secret that rico posted about,,,,should have used the quote button......;),,,,,,,,,,,sorry but for the powdercoating i wont stand out there doing stuff on my own time for nothing,,,and not recoup my cost for my 1000 dollar gun, consumable powder, stripper, electricity,,,,,ETC.

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Sorry Chris i missed Rico's post and thought you were talking to me:o i feel dumb!!:D
I need a shipping secret for a motor!! it cost me $178 to ship my motor to TC:mad:

05-08-2002, 07:39 PM
chad ,
who did you use for shipping of your engine?

I can't see how ups would be that much unless you overnighted
it. I know you wanted insurance but it isn't that much.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 07:53 AM
I shipped it FedEX. this was before I knew FedEx had a ground service so i didnt even ask them about that. it prolly would have been much cheaper. I shipped it second day delivery. Standard delivery was $160 so i went ahead and paid a few extra to have it there sooner!! but I bet ground would have been a lot cheaper:( insurance for $4000 was about $20

mental1
05-09-2002, 10:32 AM
On the powdercoating subject, I was going to have my frame and subframe done over the winter (hopefully) but the only place I know of in Minnesota that does powdercoating does not do bike or quad frames, so How much would everthing be about for RockyRidge to do it, any idea ? Or can you do it Chris?

Everthing as in degreasing, blasting and spraying

Sparkles
05-09-2002, 03:33 PM
i paid $400canadian

iceman2488x
05-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Hey "CHRIS WATERS!!" i am thinking about getting the frame on my 400ex powdercoated white...how did it look on ur 250r after you rode it a while????..

oh and what do you all think of a 99 400ex with a white frame,red lower a-arms,steering stem...chrome header pipe/engine casings,black shifter/brake pedal,red rear sprocket,grey upper a-arms,undecided swingarm and subframe colors?????????OH AND IM GETTIN BLACK PLASTICS AND TAG BARS/Beadlock rims razr front and realtor rear tires

CBW
05-11-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by mental1
On the powdercoating subject, I was going to have my frame and subframe done over the winter (hopefully) but the only place I know of in Minnesota that does powdercoating does not do bike or quad frames, so How much would everthing be about for RockyRidge to do it, any idea ? Or can you do it Chris?

Everthing as in degreasing, blasting and spraying

i can do it,,,,,,,,,,but the shipping is the only thing i do not know a price of. if you want a price on the frame just pm me with a color choice.

iceman2488x,,,,,,,,my white frame is holding up well.....