PDA

View Full Version : what else should i do with my 440 kit

voges
05-07-2002, 08:48 PM
My friend asked me to post a thread for him.

He has a 2000 400ex and is going to put a 440 kit in it soon. I may also in the future.
We want to know what engine components we should upgrade if we are going to install the 440.
price does not matter we just want ideas
and what are the most important components to check or upgrade.

Wheelie
05-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Here's what I would recommend:

A good cam(HRC, GT Thunder, etc), Porting, 3-Angle Valve Grind w/ 1mm oversize intake valves, Full exhaust system (Sparks, WB, Yoshi), 39mm Keihin FCR, K&N Filter w/outerwear.

Look over everything closely while it's apart to check for anything unusual. Have whoever does the head work replace valve seals, check valve guides, seats, etc.

This is the setup I plan to run in the near future. It should run pretty good........hopefully.

BTW---Call engine builders to find out if lightening the flywheel would be beneficial or not.

oynot400
05-08-2002, 08:13 AM
I agree with Wheelie. With the extra cc's of the 440 you need to let the engine breath to get the full benifit of the 440. I would put in cam with the spring kit. Which cam is up to you for the type of riding/racing that you will do. Some port work with a valve job. A high flow air filter, K&N or UNI. A larger carb FCR or Quicksilver and don't forget the exhaust.
Granted this is doing everything, you don't have to do it all right away but I would do all the internal motor mods at once along with the exhaust and air filter. The carb can be added later.

DEAL
05-08-2002, 08:44 AM
A good cam with a big bore kit is a must have item.

nakomis0
05-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Your also going to need Hardened Rockers to go with your aggressive cam. I think my sig. has most or all the mods you can do without, building the Lower half of the engine.

Desert Rat
05-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Check my ride at the bottom. The only other things I may do in the future is some head/valve work and a bigger carb. I ride mostly in the dunes and my ex will keep up with most of the moderately modified banshees and raptors unless they are running all out in the flats. It's a 2000 and has been ran hard for 2 years with no problems.

DiceMan400
05-09-2002, 03:59 PM
If you get a drop in cam you will not need to get your rockers hard faced....... Valve spings, port, polish, drop in cam, and new carb will set you straight..... Oh and a full exaust is a good idea too......... Try to stay under 11:1 comp so you can run regular pump gas.......

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 04:39 PM
Definatley get the cam and port\polish work while you have it apart! You only need to hard face the rockers if you get a very aggressive cam and some engine builders still believe they dont need to be hardened!! The valves and springs and stuff arent really a big deal and dont make a whole lot of difference until you get into the really big bores. A carb would be nice too!!!!