PDA

View Full Version : stock a-arms, ball joint & bushing help

mach5racing4
03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I just removed my stock a-arms on my '03 400ex and i was wondering how do i remove my stock ball joints and buhings so i can powder coat them? is there an easy way, a press or something? please let me know thanks

mach5racing4
03-12-2005, 04:44 PM
anybody?????

mach5racing4
03-13-2005, 05:43 PM
come on, someone must have ran into this before

ReconRider25
03-13-2005, 06:15 PM
next time do a search. but they cant be taken out. nonremoveable.

mach5racing4
03-13-2005, 07:59 PM
so the a-arms and the balljoints are one piece? if a ball joint goes you have to replace the whole a-arm? also where do i search?

300ex73
03-14-2005, 05:48 AM
You can't disassemble the stock ball joints. But what you can do if you're like super careful about doing it, is remove the dust boot. Just use like a thin flatblade screwdriver and put it under the boot. There's like a hard ring around the base of the joint, and that's where you need to pry up. You'll see what I'm talking about. And remember to be very careful about prying up on it, as to not damage it.

If you do manage to get them pryed off in good shape, then set them aside where they won't get damaged, cuz if they do, you're f**ked. If all goes well, then you should be able to get your powdercoater to put some heat reflective tape over the exposed joint when it's being sandblasted and coated. When it gets baked, the grease will generally liquify and run out, but it's ok, just make sure to pack plenty of fresh grease in there.

As for popping the boots back on, that can be a little bit of a trick. What I did is set out bench vise apart just far enough for me to set the boot on, then press it down all the way around. Remember not to hit the a-arms directly with a hammer, or you could damage your new pc job. I set a piece of soft wood on top as I was applying pressure.

Another way would be to take a piece of pipe that is the correct diameter to fit around the boot when it's on the a-arm, but not so big you can't get pressure on all sides, and then use it to drive the boot back on.

If you have any questions about any of it, feel free to ask. This is the way I took mine apart to get them coated, and I've had no problems since. And just to show you that this does work, and that the stockers can be pc'd, here's a pic.

mach5racing4
03-14-2005, 10:47 AM
awesome, you answered all my questions. i will give it a try thanks alot

300ex73
03-15-2005, 07:33 AM
N/p, just glad I could help. Like I said, if you have anymore questions, just ask, feel free to pm me.