PDA

View Full Version : Is this actually true when breaking in a motor?

JDiablo
03-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Should i use this method when breaking in my new motor :confused:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

NacsMXer
03-12-2005, 11:58 AM
You are correct. If you ask any professional motor builder, the majority will agree that this method is the most effective in ensuring the most power out of your motor.

I broke in my old 440 kit in heat cycles, the way that Duncan Racing tells you to do it. You take it easy on the motor at first, and this is not the best way to seat the rings.

With my new 452 stroker kit, I broke it in with the mototuneusa method, and I really think it is a more effective way of seating the rings than using heat cycles. So once you're ready to go, make sure you have REGULAR petroleum oil in there, and go rip like you were leading a race. Make sure to constantly upshift/downshift and vary the RPM's and you should have a solid motor after a tank or two of gas. :devil:

-Nice avatar by the way bro, I got the same riding gear! :cool:

Out_Sider
03-12-2005, 12:42 PM
that is about what my mechanic told me to do, only to make sure its warmed up good, then go mash thru the gears, greatly varying rpms:cool:

tdsongster
03-12-2005, 01:10 PM
When I first got my 400ex I pretty much did the motoman break in. I went just a little easier then what he suggests on his site, but much harder then what the manual suggested. When C&D took the engine apart (1 year of riding) to do a 416 kit, it was really clean. This time I am breaking the engine in even harder. I will let ya know how it goes after a week or two.

nopulse95
03-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Question about this break-in process. What if I am installing a new cam, should that break in procedure work for the cam, or will it actually damage the cam?

tdsongster
03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
I think you need to do something different for the cam. Let it run for 20 minutes or something. Call C&D racing (402)614-2508, they will tell you exactly what needs to be done. When I got my 416 back, that was all done for me.

Hope this helps...

JDiablo
03-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer

-Nice avatar by the way bro, I got the same riding gear! :cool: [/B]

lol thanks man,and yes C&D is building my motor too,ill PM them or call um up or suttin and ask them how to break in the motor,thanks eveyrone

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 08:36 PM
i use this method too!

When my 530R was freshly build, i wore in the engine on the dyno using similiar method. If you do, you'll notice lots of metal flowing out on oil change. This is due cause the method causes the wear to occur immediately on the cylinder and rings and not over time if you were to wear in using the users manual wear in method.

i use "wear-in" instead of "break-in" cause i dislike using "break-in". that ugly word gives me the creeps.!!

lol

tdsongster
03-12-2005, 09:16 PM
So Chad, do you do MX or XC with that 530R?

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
So Chad, do you do MX or XC with that 530R?

xc, hill climbing and drag this year!! :D

hope everything holds up for it all!! I'm always nervous on a new build

<knees clanking>

chad

JOEX
03-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Back to the cam break in...

Is there a different break in method for the cam? If so, would it be better to break in (wear in) the rings with an old cam installed then install the new cam and break it in as directed?

ReconRider25
03-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Is there a different break in method for the cam? If so, would it be better to break in (wear in) the rings with an old cam installed then install the new cam and break it in as directed?

i wouldnt think so, since when you buy a brand new quad, its breakin in the motor and cam at the same time.

K_Fulk
03-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Everything I have had to broke in i have just went out and rode like normal. I dont hold it pinned for extended periods of time, but i'm not scarred to get in it.

The directions with hot cams say to run it at least at 3k some rpms or higher for a certain amount of time, cant remember all the details. So yes you would want to break your cam in the same way.

I would brake in a new cam with a new piston just to get everything broke in all at once.

Cody_300ex
03-14-2005, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Back to the cam break in...

When I totally rebuilt My mechanic told me to break it in like it's gunna be riden, Just don't hold WFO or at a steady RPM for more than 2 or 3 seconds.

XCRACER26
03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Dirtwheels says you should not let the motor idel and ride in the middle of the rev range for 30 min long. But thats just a mag.