PDA

View Full Version : Which Pipe???

Foxrage
05-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Im going to buy a pipe soon But not sure what to get. I want something the has alot of power and quiet but i want to be able to make it go its full potential when i decide to hit the track. I was thinking getting the sparks with the spark arrestor but you have to change it with rivits. So im thinkin ill just get it or a TC and a different headpipe if i can. I am really not sure any suggestions and pics are welcome but i would like the complete system Pic.

ny300exrider
05-08-2002, 06:31 AM
the tc will probably give the most power but i think it is one of the loudest pipes made. i think i will be going with a whitebrothers e-series complete, or maybe the hmf with quiet core

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 07:29 AM
TC reccomends running the stock headers!! just get you a TC pipe,,about $300,,,and be done!! then just grind the welds out of the header!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 08:42 AM
The stock header is good, but not as good as an aftermarket if u know what u want.

good rule of thumb - stock sucks, aftermarket is good :cool:

BornOnFire
05-08-2002, 09:01 AM
I just installed a White Bros E-Series slip-on on my 400 EX last week. It is pretty loud and I did notice some power increase. For the price, I would say that this is a great buy. I got it from Marcums for about $210. I also grinded the welds as suggested in an earlier post. The bike breathes a lot better now. So much, that I had to re-jet substantially.

Good luck!

05-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Most power and quiet don't go together when your talkin about thumper exhaust...I powerbong will quiet down any aftermarket slip-on if it will fit. Most all aftermarket exhaust's are good,,just don't do the powerbong and bills thunder combo,,I heard they suck.:eek:

Terry marcum talked highly of the new redesigned big gun complete system,,call him up and get his opinion,,he's a real swell guy..:huh

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
The stock header is good, but not as good as an aftermarket if u know what u want.

good rule of thumb - stock sucks, aftermarket is good :cool:
WRONG! Its according what your doing, if you think its worth $200 for a 1/4 of a horsepower increase then maybe an aftermarket header is what you need. higher flowing isnt always the best,,,you need backpressure too,,,just like my old Z-71, I had straight exhausts all the way from the headers out the back,,it was loud as **** band it would stumble on the bottom end,,get it wound up and it would take off!! the best header is the best mixture of backpressure and high flow,,,the stock header is a perfect example of this!! this is TC's explaination of a stock header!!!

05-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Chad are you saying if I put your old Z-71 headers on my 416 with the TC pipe it will give me 1/4 more HP????:huh

PsychoDave
05-08-2002, 10:34 AM
YA SEE......NOW THIS IS WHY I AM STILL WONDERING IF I SHOULD GET AND AFTERMARKET HEADER....I WONDER IF IT WILL MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE TO MY 416....A 1/4 H.P. IS not WORTH IT. BUT IF IT BREATHES BETTER AND I CAN PUT BIGGER JETS IN IT AND GAIN 1 OR MORE H.P. I WOULD DO IT......I KNOW I AM GONNA GET **** FOR THIS (FROM NIGHTTIME) BECAUSE I BEAT A DEAD HORSE WITH MY LAST THREAD....

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Chad are you saying if I put your old Z-71 headers on my 416 with the TC pipe it will give me 1/4 more HP????:huh
OK Rico,,are you trying to make me feel stupid!!!:D im just saying that opening it up as much as possible isnt always the best thing to do!!! i dont think an aftermarket header is worth the money,,,sure i have already been through 2(Big gun and Yosh)but with my 505 it will be the stock header and the TC pipe!!! Recommended by one of the best engine builders, so it definatlely wont be a "bad" thing to do!!!!!!

VegasEx'r
05-08-2002, 11:09 AM
Chad, you said Its according what your doing.
Knighttime, you said The stock header is good, but not as good as an aftermarket if u know what u want .

These statements sound like you are saying the same thing. The stock header has more backpressure, which generates more torque. Aftermarket headers flow more air, which means less torque, but more top-end, right? So you are both right, and you are both doing something different, right?

BTW, chad, do you know when your motor will be done?

knighttime
05-08-2002, 11:28 AM
U r a little quick to call me "WRONG" on my assesment of the aftermarket header pipe (powerbong). This topic has been brought up many too many times and commented on by people that do not have all the facts.

Rico and I have tried the powerbong and know of its awesome power. U have not.

Tom at TC racing is right that a ground out stock headerpipe is OK. But the reason is because he doesnt have a good deal with any manufacturer of header pipes and hasnt come out with his own like he did with the muffler I think. He just doesnt promote them cause it doesnt make him any money, and when the stock one is ground it works well on his heavily modded engines.

If u really wanna perk up your 400ex get a muffler and header pipe.

Something from FMF
Power Bomb
The PowerBomb stainless steel headers will be available in both single and dual systems with both giving excellent weight savings combined with lurking performance habits that help make every four stroke excel. These are the very systems that helped Yamaha of Troy's Ernie Fonseca to grab a supercross title and are considered to be one of the finest bolt-on mods that you can make to your machine.
The FMF Power Bomb is a stainless steel four-stroke header pipe unit that has a unique bulge precisely located in the header system. This "Bomb" is technically positioned at this key point in the system for increased performance

Details-Power Bomb
*A "Pre muffler" of sorts, the Power Bomb actually lowers sound output because it creates more surface area for the sound medium (exhaust) to become absorbed by.
*The surface area of the perforated core lets the sound exit into the absorbing material (steel wool packing) and then allows the air to expand, cool, and ramp back up of air higher pressures (R.P.M's).
*The FMF Power Bomb is instrumental in producing a power increase via scientific flow characteristics
*Through the expansion and contraction of exhaust sonics through the system, the flow is increased by nearly 10%.

knighttime
05-08-2002, 11:33 AM
that seperates the truth from the bull***** :eek:

U can c that the powerbong gives u better horsepower at the bottom and top.

This was taken off of www.fmfracing.com and is their dyno for the 400ex.

MOFO
05-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Truth be told..... Hmmmmmm.....

I dont see any dyno charts showing the "shaved stock header"..... :huh

** side note **
-----------------------
This dyno shows another good point. All of you guys out there that want to remove the rev limiter on a stock engine (or slightly mod'd engine), this proves that increasing RPM past the rev limiter does NOT make more HP....only over stresses the engine and its components....

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Vegas, it will still be about 3 weeks before I get my motor back:(

Knightime, yes I have experience with a powerbomb. im not saying there not good but there definately not the best. my best friend has a 440 with a PB and a Big Gun pipe. He put my old Yosh system on and immeditely bought it from me!!! it made such a difference that it must have had something to do with the jets he had in matched up better with the yosh because like the engine builders say, i pipe doesnt really make a lot of difference,,in his case it did, but then again he does have a 440 kit and HRC cam!
overall i really dont know how well the PB performs but i do know the Yoshi system performs much better, if you havent compared it to any other then you relly dont know how good it is either,,,we all have this "____ is the best because thats what i have" attitude but you never know until you try something else!!!
Also when you said "stock sucks, aftermarket good" I didnt know you were refering to the PB anyway!! thats NOT a good rule of thumb because like we both agree,,,its according what your looking for!!

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 11:56 AM
And about the Dyno chart,,man look real close,,thats 1/2 a horsepower!!! And of course it would be FMF's dyno which of course would have the best reading!!! Is 1/2 a horsepower worth over $200 to you???? And 1/2 is the MOST,,,we know how the company with the product likes to use a beat up 400 with a stock system compared to a new bike with their system for comparison!!!! 1/2 horsepower LMAO,,what a waste!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 11:59 AM
let me explain "stock sucks" "aftermarket good"

What that means is that there is not one stock part that cannot be replaced with a Superior aftermarket replacement.

Also I posted the above dyno to show some concrete facts and not just some "i tried this on this"; "he says that"; "my engine builder says this"; "my friends a mechanic"; etc.

Dyno charts dont b.s. :eek:

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by VWVR6
Truth be told..... Hmmmmmm.....

I dont see any dyno charts showing the "shaved stock header"..... :huh

** side note **
-----------------------
This dyno shows another good point. All of you guys out there that want to remove the rev limiter on a stock engine (or slightly mod'd engine), this proves that increasing RPM past the rev limiter does NOT make more HP....only over stresses the engine and its components....
very true!!!! might as well get you a rev box to go with the PB!!!! notice how the stock versus PB stays pretty much the same all the way to the point where horsepower actually begins to fade!!!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 12:02 PM
please settle down

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 12:03 PM
let me explain "stock sucks" "aftermarket good"

What that means is that there is not one stock part that cannot be replaced with a Superior aftermarket replacement.

Also I posted the above dyno to show some concrete facts and not just some "i tried this on this"; "he says that"; "my engine builder says this"; "my friends a mechanic"; etc.

Dyno charts dont b.s. :eek: read my other posts!!! I think your funny!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 12:04 PM
:huh

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 12:08 PM
please settle down
man im just screwin(whatch the profanity now) with you,,,i think its funny that since you have a Powerbong,,its the best!!! like I said in the begining i didnt even know you were refering to PB and you jump right out chanting powerbong,,powerbong!!! I was just saying that stock sucks,,aftermarket good, isnt necessarily true!! your right,,there usually is a superior product over a stocker,,,but do you need it for your application????!!!!!!! is it worth over $200 to you for 1/2 a horsepower???

MOFO
05-08-2002, 12:14 PM
ChadEX....keep in mind he's not running a stock engine. I've personally rode his bike....its more than 1/2 hp....you can take that to the bank!

05-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Putting on a powerbong requires jetting changes,,which means your getting more power. The way I see/read the dyno there's pretty much a 1 HP gain over all,,and to be honest the powerbong and stock header are neck and neck until ya got her hammered wide open,,THEN the powerbong shows it's gain in power. I've spoke with Tom Carlson once or twice on the phone and he recommends the stock header for this reason,,it's a bottom end header which is how he builds his motors...there torque monstors,,he doesn't build them for top end speed. Tom also has built his silecer around the stock header,,because that's all he's had to play with over the years,,it's worked for him so why try other headers. The powerbong adds power from mid range up,,but you don't loose any bottom end. I don't think I wasted my money on the powerbong,,I got it to be different and ta get a little more power out of my stock motor,,now she's a 416,,I garauntee she's breathing and getting even more power over a stock header,,with a ton of torque and bottom end power,,3rd gear wheelies with a 36 tooth rear sprocket and 18 inch tires,,,no problem mon. All pipe/header combo's have a different power curve,,were you want your power is up to you,,,I do know one thing,,,I'm gettin a kick out of this pissin contest,,my suggestion is to drink more water and it'll help ya pee farther... so a big :blah goes out ta all of ya...LMAO

Just keep er clean guys so this thread doesn't get locked..m-kay;)

knighttime
05-08-2002, 12:20 PM
u arent really funny at all, i hope u dont have a plan to take your act on the road.

I'm not sure even what u r saying and well i guess this somes it up with u => :huh

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 12:26 PM
Was I trying to be funny???:confused: your confusing common sense with humor,,,looks like you dont have a whole lot of it!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 12:26 PM

PsychoDave
05-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info RICO....now I will get a POWERBOMB....I think i added a bit of fuel to the feud too.....really thanks for the input guys. :D :D :D

knighttime
05-08-2002, 01:05 PM
choice psychodave, just dont tell TC racin'

05-08-2002, 01:20 PM
Dave slap a cobra on that powerbong and you'll have one bad arse, fire breathing, pissed off 416ex..:D

knighttime
05-08-2002, 01:35 PM
My brother has a cobra exhaust on his '86 zuki 230 and that thing still rips. :blah

Loud as **edited**.

edited by ?

PsychoDave
05-08-2002, 01:42 PM
I HAVE A wb "R" SERIES AND EVERYONE SAYS THAT I HAVE THE LOUDEST QUAD....LOUDER THAN A DS, RAPTOR,AND OTHER EX'S.
I LIKE IT LOUD!!!!!

Foxrage
05-08-2002, 02:07 PM
Holly ****!!! Well Thanks for all the help!! I think im going to go with the TC pipe Cermic Coat the steal Parts of it Polish and chrome the silencer and Heat sheild. Can anyone Help find prices on this stuff:
TC With Discs
Chrome Heat sheild and motor mounts and oil Tank
Ceramic Coat Stock head Pipe

Thanks

Wired
05-08-2002, 02:19 PM
i currently have a pro circuit T-4 slip on on my 400ex. is there a header pipe that will give me a few more poneys? and i might be going with a 416 kit in the future so i have to keep this in mind? anyone have an answer for me? remember, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all! ;) :D

knighttime
05-08-2002, 02:25 PM
hey dude, put on your spectacles and look at the dyno chart mixed in with the above nonsense

Live2Ride300
05-08-2002, 02:36 PM

Foxrage
05-08-2002, 02:39 PM
One more thing. Should i get a swing arm or Get a TC 416 kit and cam. What else will i need for the motor if i do that?? And how much will it all be? THanks

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 02:40 PM
its OK Knightime, not everyone wants to give up over $200 for less than 1 horsepower!!! not only that the grinded weld might just make up that -1 hp
hey Nacs you can have your header ceramic powder coated for about $20. it looks real good but it isnt as scratch resistant as regular powdercoating
here is a pic of my header coated!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 02:47 PM
shut up about the freakin header pipes until u show me a dyno chart that backs up whats coming from your keyboard

:macho

**sigh**

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 02:50 PM
you already showed a dyno proving that the PB dont make ***** for power so I dont really have to do I:D
Nacs....good choice!!!!! you can spend that $200 on getting your TC 416!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 02:51 PM
chad, u r something i tell ya, cant even read a dyno, well ok, u are smarter than FMF and all i wrote is wrong. happy now :D

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 03:02 PM
the dumber you make yourself look,,the happeir i get,,,keep it coming!!:D
look everybody,,,mommy bought me a powerbong and its the best thing thats ever happened to me:rolleyes:

knighttime
05-08-2002, 03:31 PM
in times like these, i'm glad i have the powerbong

:D

bama400ex
05-08-2002, 03:42 PM
i like how chad says the only reason you like the pb is because thats what you got. wtf. i guess the only reason all these people on here like their 400ex or any aftermarket part they have on theirs, is it is just simpley what they have.i think chad must think T.C. is some kind of god and all others people opions are just trash. well heres a news flash chad. T.C. aint the only guy out there who knows what works on a 400. surley any idiot would see this. and im not trying to take anything away from T.C. or say so and so is smarter. all that i am saying is just because your hero T.C. dont recommend something, it dont mean its a bad product. but neways ill stop here. feel free to flame away chad. im just tired of reading all of these post where all you can say is ''T.C. said this, T.C. said that''. and im sure im not the only one. have a great day.

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 03:51 PM
Look,,somebody jumps in with just as much common sense as knightime, Why dont you 2 put your sense together and see where that gets you.
I originally said that "stock sucks, aftermarket good" isnt necessarily true its according to your application,,,knighttime jumps in talking about how the PB is the best thing made when i hadnt even said anything about it!
So bama, go back and read it again!
And knightime stop sending me all these PM's,,,I know your mad your wrong,,,but its gonna be OK!!!!

knighttime
05-08-2002, 03:57 PM

the end

Foxrage
05-08-2002, 03:59 PM
GGGG wiz Talkin about me gettin off subject. Can you guys Quit this crap and help we with my problems.:D Can anyone tell me the price to:
TC Pipe w/ Discs
Ceamic coat everything.
Chrome Heat Sheild, Motor Mounts and Oil Tank.
TC 416 Kit
TC MX Cam
And anything else i would need.

Thanks

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 04:02 PM
I believe the TC pipe is about $329 or somewhere around there. To ceramic coat just the headers is about $75-$80. Were you wanting to get TC to port\polish and build the motor or you just wanting to get the parts from him and have it done????

Foxrage
05-08-2002, 04:19 PM
I was just going to get the usuall little things i was wondering like if i have t have anything else special.

shook
05-08-2002, 06:18 PM
I bought a sparks x6 pipe for my 425 and thi sthing hauls a@#!!

shook
05-08-2002, 06:22 PM
I bought a sparks x6 pipe for my 425 and thi sthing hauls a@#!!
It sounds good to a deep sound actually is better sounding and is quieter than my e series slip on was and I had the spark arrestor in it.I love it money was an issue I would recommend the TC slip on dont get fooled by it being a slip on its only the first foot ,foot and a half you use then it gets big tubing from there so it does make good low end and mids ita nice pipe and looks decent to not like a W/B

ChadEXer
05-08-2002, 06:40 PM
FST, Trinity, and TC all said that the megaphone system before the pipe is the most important part of a pipe!!

Foxrage
05-08-2002, 06:48 PM
How in the **** is your sparks quieter than you WB????

Tommy 17
05-08-2002, 06:53 PM
i heard norms wb pipe... and i heard tcs, dmcs, etc... everything but sparks and lrd... and the wb pipe is the loudest and the ****tiest sound of them all...

shook
05-08-2002, 07:25 PM
I agree the W/B is the loudest and worst sounding pipe I ve heard on a 400

05-09-2002, 06:12 AM
Ding---Ding---Ding Round 3...:eek:

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 07:23 AM
Come on Rico,,i would have knocked him out in the first round!!!!
Dont let me offend you about this powerbong stuff Rico. i just think its funny that some little girls mommy bought him a powerbong so its the best in the world!!!
Your still my role model Rico,,,POS powerbong or not:D

bama400ex
05-09-2002, 10:05 AM
one more thing. chad you said is 1/2 hp worth $200. well if you look at the dyno chart one can cleary see that on the very top end it makes almost 2 more hp. so thats about 1hp per $100. now, to the point. your spending about $2400 on your tc engine, correct? im pretty sure thats where i read elsewhere. now is the 505 gonna give you 24 more hp than your 416? i think it might be pretty close if your lucky. so dont go around saying thats a bad buy dollar per hp increase unless your gonna pratice what you preach.oh yeah, and im finished with this thread so go ahead and get the last one in if you must.

PsychoDave
05-09-2002, 10:16 AM
touche'

MOFO
05-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Come on Rico,,i would have knocked him out in the first round!!!!
Dont let me offend you about this powerbong stuff Rico. i just think its funny that some little girls mommy bought him a powerbong so its the best in the world!!!
Your still my role model Rico,,,POS powerbong or not:D

If you were to ask me, your the one thats acting like a little girl....whining about everything....:eek:

Oh, and Bama, you hit the nail on the head...I was going to point that out myself, but sometimes its just not worth your time. If this guy REALLY knew what he was doing, I think he'd being building his engine himself...

knighttime
05-09-2002, 10:29 AM

If you were to ask me, your the one thats acting like a little girl....whining about everything....:eek:

Oh, and Bama, you hit the nail on the head...I was going to point that out myself, but sometimes its just not worth your time. If this guy REALLY knew what he was doing, I think he'd being building his engine himself...

exactly

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by bama400ex
one more thing. chad you said is 1/2 hp worth $200. well if you look at the dyno chart one can cleary see that on the very top end it makes almost 2 more hp. so thats about 1hp per $100. now, to the point. your spending about $2400 on your tc engine, correct? im pretty sure thats where i read elsewhere. now is the 505 gonna give you 24 more hp than your 416? i think it might be pretty close if your lucky. so dont go around saying thats a bad buy dollar per hp increase unless your gonna pratice what you preach.oh yeah, and im finished with this thread so go ahead and get the last one in if you must.
NO it will not make a 24hp increase,,,It will be more like 35!!!! my 416 was at about say,,,,,35hp maybe????
There are 465's on here(Alkys 472 and TRX 465)that are running around 63 horsepower!! So Im guessing the 505 will be somewhere pretty damned close to 70hp!!!!
Bama,,please put on your glasses and look at the dyno again,,,thats ALMOST 1 horsepower!!! And please try to notice that that 1 HP comes after the power begins to drop off!!!

VWVR6,,i know Im acting like a little girl!! i just want to fit in:D

knighttime
05-09-2002, 10:35 AM

VWVR6,,i know Im acting like a little girl!! i just want to fit in:D

We at exriders prefer that u act like a man.

MOFO
05-09-2002, 10:37 AM
Hey Rico, you got any popcorn over there? This is gitt'in good. :D

bama400ex
05-09-2002, 10:54 AM
70 hp? well im not sayin it wont, but id want to see the dyno pull. and each square on that dyno sheet is 2 hp. so maybe you should put on your glasses. i said i wasnt gonna post again but im just had to point that out.

Evan
05-09-2002, 10:55 AM
OK time for me to jump in.

If yall had read what vegas'exr said you wouldnt be aruguing. THe stock header works better for lowend, and aftermarket larger diameter header works better for topend. This is also true in cars so it dont take a genuis to figure it out, the larger diamter header, you lose backpressure, so you have more topend. The smaller, you have more backpressure so you have better bottom end. All of this works to a certain point, like if you get to big a header it will suck and if you get to small a header it will suck. YOu have to find the application that is best for you. Chad I would belive since you are dragracing you wouldwant a tradeoff, of some bottom end but you still need topend unless you have a short dragstrip. TC builds there motors for bottom end thats why they use the stock header.
NACS400EX- get what ever pipe you like, I seriously doubt you would notice a difference in power between any, its not like your racing pro, just ride harder if you are racing MX.
I have heard several pipes, the Sparks sounds good but it sounds like something is loose all the time, the TC is pretty good it has kinda a brapp brapp sharp sound, my PC shorty sounds close to a TC, just as loud or louder.
When it all comes down to it get whatever pipe you like the sound and looks they all do about the same.

knighttime
05-09-2002, 10:59 AM
but did u c the dyno chart I posted? It looks to me that the p.b. gives more lowend HP as well. :confused:

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:13 AM
If you read my very first post this is what you would have read QUOTE higher flowing isnt always the best,,,you need backpressure too,,,just like my old Z-71, I had straight exhausts all the way from the headers out the back,,it was loud as **** and it would stumble on the bottom end,,get it wound up and it would take off!! the best header is the best mixture of backpressure and high flow,,,the stock header is a perfect example of this!! this is TC's explaination of a stock header!!!QUOTE
Now X-rider your right,,,but isnt that basically the very same thing I said???? then Knighttime jumps in talking about how the PB is the best header and "stock sucks, aftermarket good" i was just arguing that this isnt always the case and its according to your application,,looks like knighttime is arguing with himself over the qualitly of his PB!!!!!!
Knighttime if i give you my address will you come over here and point out on this dyno where it gives increase in bottom end?? im having trouble finding it,,,,i only see a small increase after the power has began to drop off!!!!

knighttime
05-09-2002, 11:16 AM
u cant read the dyno chart, ahh...well that explains a lot in it self.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bama400ex
70 hp? well im not sayin it wont, but id want to see the dyno pull. and each square on that dyno sheet is 2 hp. so maybe you should put on your glasses. i said i wasnt gonna post again but im just had to point that out.
Bama go back and look again,,,but this time LOOK. that is 1 HP,,,even Rico said the same thing!!! Do you have trouble reading charts???? Bama I dont wanna make enemies with you,,,im already gonna have to whoop knighttime. please just read the post I posted before this one,,,,how much power the PB really makes isnt the issue here. i was arguing that "stock sucks aftermarket good' is bullchit! it depends on your application and what you want,,,then knighttime jumps in chanting PB<<PB<<PB!!!

knighttime
05-09-2002, 11:19 AM
give it a rest, im sick of this nonsense. And I really dont care if u like what I have on my quad or not. Give it a rest unless u have somethin intelligent to say. We dont like havin' to hear the same stuff over, and over, and over, and over, etc.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:21 AM
QUOTE FROM X-RIDER TC builds there motors for bottom end thats why they use the stock header.""""
This is correct and brings me back to the whole point in this argument!! "stock sucks aftermarket good" isnt true! With my application the stock header is better than a higher flowing header. I never once said the stock header is better than a aftermarket header!! For Knighttime the PB header might be what he needs,,,but he doesnt need to say stock sucks!!! Do you understand what im saying here????

MOFO
05-09-2002, 11:21 AM
[B]And about the Dyno chart,,man look real close,,thats 1/2 a horsepower!!!

Hmmmm...now you see 1 HP gain...I thought it was only 1/2??? Your statement of how the power gain is only after the peak power is pointless (you make it sound like its a bad gain). All pipes build power at different levels.....obviously this setup is made for mid-top. You've already pointed this out yourself! So what are you tring to prove? Other than the fact that you cant let this go....

Also, if you read the dyno in ALL respects, you can see the pipe combo DOES NOT take away any low end, if anything there is a very small gain in the lower RPM range. This blows your whole theory of how ALL aftermarket pipes are only for high end and take away low end (ie your Z71 example....which for the record is mostly true and I agree with..depending on what type of exhaust system you buy. I'm currently shopping for an exhaust for my Z71)

Eric

knighttime
05-09-2002, 11:29 AM
QUOTE FROM X-RIDER TC builds there motors for bottom end thats why they use the stock header.""""
This is correct and brings me back to the whole point in this argument!! "stock sucks aftermarket good" isnt true! ,,,but he doesnt need to say stock sucks!!! Do you understand what im saying here????

When I say "stock sucks" I'm not trying to make anyone sad. I have lots of stock stuff on my quad. What I mean is that there is an aftermarket part that will either perform better or look nicer than every stock part on my quad. I know the stuff is expensive, but thats not the point I'm tryin to make.

Think about it like this. I wanna build a 250R. I was planning on buying a junked one and fixing it up (until I found out how much of a sellers market it is for a 250R). A few nights ago I was in the garage suckin' down a few buds and thought that If I do build the 250R I outta make it out of all aftermarket parts, cause I would probably replace all the stock parts anyways, except for the engine/tranny assembly.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

So lets have fun and not be so sad.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:39 AM

Hmmmm...now you see 1 HP gain...I thought it was only 1/2??? Your statement of how the power gain is only after the peak power is pointless (you make it sound like its a bad gain). All pipes build power at different levels.....obviously this setup is made for mid-top. You've already pointed this out yourself! So what are you tring to prove? Other than the fact that you cant let this go....

Also, if you read the dyno in ALL respects, you can see the pipe combo DOES NOT take away any low end, if anything there is a very small gain in the lower RPM range. This blows your whole theory of how ALL aftermarket pipes are only for high end and take away low end (ie your Z71 example....which for the record is mostly true and I agree with..depending on what type of exhaust system you buy. I'm currently shopping for an exhaust for my Z71)

Eric When did i say all aftermarket headers are only good for high end????What am i trying to prove?..... my whole point here AGAIN,,is that stock doesnt "suck" for my application!!!!
And about the "bad gain" thing,,,,more power AFTER the peak power is a bad gain for me because I short shift drag racing and dont go over the peak power,,,now, for someones else,,this may be what they need!!!!

knighttime
05-09-2002, 11:43 AM
u should have stated that u drag race, and I think we would all like to c a dyno of your finished quad with your ground stock pipe and a dyno test with an aftermarket header pipe. I'll bet $100 that the stocker will lose in the dyno test.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:46 AM
Eric,,,,do you understand my whole point here now????
Flowmaster is definately the best exhaust for your Z-71!! i have 2, 30 series mufflers being shipped to me and i only need 1 of them. Flowmaster is a sponsor for one of my show trucks. i already have 1 muffler(on my 4x4) and they just sent me out 2 more(one for my new truck)!! Brian at Flowmaster said they will be shipped by the end of the month!! then if i was you i would just weld up the muffler with no pipes,,i dont even have a turndown on mine(sounds the best that way and its cheapest) If you want,,,holler at me and i will hook you up!!!

MOFO
05-09-2002, 11:47 AM
When did i say all aftermarket headers are only good for high end????What am i trying to prove?..... my whole point here AGAIN,,is that stock doesnt "suck" for my application!!!!
And about the "bad gain" thing,,,,more power AFTER the peak power is a bad gain for me because I short shift drag racing and dont go over the peak power,,,now, for someones else,,this may be what they need!!!!

So all of your advice you have been giving is based on your "not even close to stock" engine??

Oh, you dont need to yell.... we're all right here.....no need to get your feathers ruffled up. :devil

MOFO
05-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Eric,,,,do you understand my whole point here now????
Flowmaster is definately the best exhaust for your Z-71!! i have 2, 30 series mufflers being shipped to me and i only need 1 of them. Flowmaster is a sponsor for one of my show trucks. i already have 1 muffler(on my 4x4) and they just sent me out 2 more(one for my new truck)!! Brian at Flowmaster said they will be shipped by the end of the month!! then if i was you i would just weld up the muffler with no pipes,,i dont even have a turndown on mine(sounds the best that way and its cheapest) If you want,,,holler at me and i will hook you up!!!

cool, I'm actually between a Flowmaster like you mentioned and possibly a Gibson.....they seem to give good results on the 5.3

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:51 AM
u should have stated that u drag race, and I think we would all like to c a dyno of your finished quad with your ground stock pipe and a dyno test with an aftermarket header pipe. I'll bet $100 that the stocker will lose in the dyno test.
im gonna take it to the dyno at Highlifter as soon as I get it back and i will let you know. I will take a aftermarket header with me! Knighttime,,,can i borrow your PB when i go!!!:D

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:53 AM

cool, I'm actually between a Flowmaster like you mentioned and possibly a Gibson.....they seem to give good results on the 5.3
my friend has a Gibson exhaust on his Z-71 with the pipes that come out the side,,,the Gibson sounds damned good,,,but it has a more mellow tone to it and doesnt have as much rumble as the Flows!!!!!

MOFO
05-09-2002, 11:55 AM
thats the sound I'm looking for....deep but not very loud (except under WOT conditions)

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:56 AM

So all of your advice you have been giving is based on your "not even close to stock" engine??

Oh, you dont need to yell.... we're all right here.....no need to get your feathers ruffled up. :devil
the only advice i have been giving is that stock doesnt suck for everyone,,Tom uses the stock header no matter how big of an engine he builds,,,,,tom may not be the best builder in the world and use the best products and have the best advice,,,but racers have proven that hes damned close!!!!!

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 11:59 AM
thats the sound I'm looking for....deep but not very loud (except under WOT conditions)
the Gibson and Flowmaster pretty much both fit that description,,,,they both whale under WOT,,,,,but at idle and regular speed the Flows have a little lower of a grunt!!!

MOFO
05-09-2002, 12:00 PM
ok, ok...lets all agree to disagree (kinda, but not really, if you know what I mean)....I think we're all very stubborn minded people....which makes for interesting debates! :D

bama400ex
05-09-2002, 12:20 PM
the funny thing is nacs didnt get a whole lot of info about pipes but this thing is over 5 pages now. lol

MOFO
05-09-2002, 12:35 PM
actually if you read between the BS, there is alot of information about pipes and exhaust systems in general. Its not that typical Brand X vs Brand Y discussion now. :D

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 12:56 PM
There aint nutn like over 6 pages of debatin'!!!!!!:D

knighttime
05-09-2002, 01:12 PM
I give in and ChadExer and I r friends now.

Can u get that dragster up to West Virginia for the EXriders ride 6-28 till 6-30? :confused:

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 01:43 PM
Man,,WV is a long ways from here!!!! I wish I could though! Who all is supposed to be there??

knighttime
05-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Man,,WV is a long ways from here!!!! I wish I could though! Who all is supposed to be there??

Everyone who is kewl is goin' :D

Foxrage
05-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Ill be there maybe. Well if you guys want i will delete this. Hey i am finding alot out though. I think ill just go with sparks cause i dont care how loud it is and if someone does ill slip the stocker on.

ChadEXer
05-09-2002, 01:52 PM

Everyone who is kewl is goin' :D
I think we should have it somewhere closer to the middle of the US,,,like TX for instance!!! Dont you think!!!!