PDA

View Full Version : Check out this 480 build!

devil6
03-12-2005, 09:29 AM
Lots of ponies for the needy.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6682

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by devil6
Lots of ponies for the needy.

http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=6682

devel can you tell us about it for those that cannot see what your referring too?

;)

devil6
03-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
devel can you tell us about it for those that cannot see what your referring too?

;)

Well, 51.57 hp @ 8900 rpm

34.24 TQ from 5900 _ 7500 rpm

480 13.8-1 comp + porting. Megacycle X1 cam

but the way to get the best idea of the power on tap is to see that a stocker never hits 30ft lbs of torque but this combo is past 30 ft lbs from 4800 rpm all the way to 9000 rpm

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Well, 51.57 hp @ 8900 rpm

34.24 TQ from 5900 _ 7500 rpm

480 13.8-1 comp + porting. Megacycle X1 cam

but the way to get the best idea of the power on tap is to see that a stocker never hits 30ft lbs of torque but this combo is past 30 ft lbs from 4800 rpm all the way to 9000 rpm

thats pretty good numbers to say the least! x1 cam i know who runs that- good for him!

devil, thanks ;)

devil6
03-12-2005, 10:02 AM
No prob. I am still amazed at what you can get out of these motors, compared to stock trim.

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 11:05 AM
No prob. I am still amazed at what you can get out of these motors, compared to stock trim.

absolutely

my 530 is 18% increase on stock cc's gets 75% increase in hp

a 480 is 7% increase on stock cc's gets 56% increase in hp

goes to show you that it's harder get get more and more and more

:D

awesome though isn't it?

Ex_Rider43
03-12-2005, 02:12 PM
why do 480's and 500+ dont pull more then 50-55 hp???

jasmin plante got his motor built at LRD and was pulling 50hp (crappy if you ask me ). he sent a motor to a known guy here and he's now at 57 and still on stock bore!!

devil6
03-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Ex_Rider43
why do 480's and 500+ dont pull more then 50-55 hp???

jasmin plante got his motor built at LRD and was pulling 50hp (crappy if you ask me ). he sent a motor to a known guy here and he's now at 57 and still on stock bore!!

I would love to know what was dont to that 57 hp motor as i have never seen a stock bore 450 pull that mutch power out of it. What fuel was he using? what comp? I'm not looking at peak numbers here either, i am comparing the curves to the bike i know is stock as a reference. I have seen some dyno's get 40+ out of a stocker, and thats just not true. Not all dynos read the same, so in order to compare you would have to have that 57 hp bike on the same dyno and day as the bike i linked to here. It's pretty rare a trx hits over 50 legit hp, Chads is built as stout as anyone i can think of, maybe he can help us out on what it takes to crack 57, cause without alky, i dont know. Hey chad, whats your makin now anyways?

Ex_Rider43
03-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I know its a lot but the guy know what he's doing .

I will send my engine there after this season too so we will see!! I also have a friend who received his bike from him and the numbers are about the same

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 03:39 PM
I would love to know what was dont to that 57 hp motor as i have never seen a stock bore 450 pull that mutch power out of it. What fuel was he using? what comp? I'm not looking at peak numbers here either, i am comparing the curves to the bike i know is stock as a reference. I have seen some dyno's get 40+ out of a stocker, and thats just not true. Not all dynos read the same, so in order to compare you would have to have that 57 hp bike on the same dyno and day as the bike i linked to here. It's pretty rare a trx hits over 50 legit hp, Chads is built as stout as anyone i can think of, maybe he can help us out on what it takes to crack 57, cause without alky, i dont know. Hey chad, whats your makin now anyways?

devil6.

my 530R is making 59hp at 43ft/lbs of torque on stock carb and sub-par pipe. i plan on hitting over 60 on stock carb this month ;)

dyno video and plots can be seen on my site if you want further info.
http://www.chad502ex.com

jeepnrocks
03-13-2005, 09:03 AM
nice numbers!!

Punk'd
03-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Lookin good;)

Orr#34
03-14-2005, 08:46 AM
I have a 400ex that wwas making 54. something. But that was before i did even more work to it. It was a 518 when i tore into it again to replace the rod with a better one. I also have a 450R that would probally push 55 or more. but i haven't had the chance to dyno it yet but at the first TT national i will dyno it and see what it will do. all i know it will tack out a 90mph. with stock rev limiter and 14 36 sprockets.

Hawk III
03-14-2005, 09:31 AM
if you call baldwin he will tell you that farr's race bike is around 55-56 hp. the draw back to it is the bike has to be torn down after about 5 hours race time. (he told me after every race tim's is torn down) it is possible to get those hp numbers but at what price for reliability?

03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
so where does the x1 cams power come in with that 480? or does it improve everywhere? how is the low end?

chad502ex
03-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
so where does the x1 cams power come in with that 480? or does it improve everywhere? how is the low end?

using the x1 on that 480 is exactly how that 480 is making that kind of power.

03-14-2005, 03:08 PM
using the x1 on that 480 is exactly how that 480 is making that kind of power.

so if it was a stage 2 hotcam it would be less? where is the power delivery on the x1? if thats the reason it makes mass power then i might get 1 when i go with my 480 or 470 or whatever

devil6
03-14-2005, 04:00 PM
From what i understand the X1 is a pain to install, so you probably don't want it.

03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
From what i understand the X1 is a pain to install, so you probably don't want it.

o install is no prob, dont matter how hard it is, i just want to know where the power is, like mid to top or all over, or what

devil6
03-14-2005, 04:08 PM
o install is no prob, dont matter how hard it is, i just want to know where the power is, like mid to top or all over, or what You have no idea what this cam takes to install, it is NOT a drop in cam, it requires a bit of machine work and your head to come off and material to be removed in certain places. I am not 100% but i think this cam is simmilar to the hrc

jeepnrocks
03-14-2005, 04:16 PM
arent cams that are non-drop ins usually top end cams?

devil6
03-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
arent cams that are non-drop ins usually top end cams?

brif
03-14-2005, 04:34 PM
so if it was a stage 2 hotcam it would be less? where is the power delivery on the x1? if thats the reason it makes mass power then i might get 1 when i go with my 480 or 470 or whatever

The x1 is a great cam, although for all the extra work required there is other choices which would perform nearly as well with alot less hassle. I'm sure chad will agree, to get the full benefit from this (or any of the other non-drop in cams) will require alot of tuning preferably with the help of a dyno. Most of us simply don't have the access, skill or money required the gain the last little bit out of these set-ups. I believe the HRC cam would be a better cam for the masses.

I'm currently running a johnson 400-375 cam, for all the extra work involved I'm almost wishing I'd just bought a HRC and been done with it. Remember with these big cams you're also looking at a set of valve springs($200) and a adjustable cam sprocket($25). If a johnson you have to press on a cam sprocket holder. the x1 and the "big johnson"( saying it like that now I kinda want it, jk) you have some other work involved also(machine work). Not to mention they also have to be degree'd in(you can buy this kit through hotcams($129).

I'm not trying to talk you out of the x1 if that's what you have your heart set-on. Just offering another alternative. Who know's , they may even be another alternative cam available before too long......:D

03-14-2005, 04:44 PM
i am actually gonna go with the stage 2 hotcam most likely, it makes good power, and adds it everywhere, not just in 1 spot, i was just curious about the X1

chad502ex
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by brif
I'm sure chad will agree, to get the full benefit from this (or any of the other non-drop in cams) will require alot of tuning preferably with the help of a dyno.

absolutely!

all of your post is well put brif. a drop-in fits the masses

or if your really interested in pushing the envelope,...

just send me the motor i'll build it for ya for a fee!:D

03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
absolutely!

all of your post is well put brif. a drop-in fits the masses

or if your really interested in pushing the envelope,...

just send me the motor i'll build it for ya for a fee!:D

when you dyno test an engine, what do you check for, degree of the cam, and jetting, or what? we have a dyno up at the dunes that is like $15 for 3 runs, i was thinkin about tuning my bike on it, but dont know what to look for

chad502ex
03-14-2005, 05:57 PM

the HCS2 will not make the power as the X1- period. The overlap on the X1 is 66 degrees. The overlap of the HCS2 is ~43 degrees.

the more overlap a cam has the more top end HP the engine will produce on the same engine setup. cam timing also plays a factor here, but one can generalize on the overlap statement.

the x1 requires cam tower modifications. The X2 does not.

03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
the HCS2 will not make the power as the X1- period. The overlap on the X1 is 66 degrees. The overlap of the HCS2 is ~43 degrees.

the more overlap a cam has the more top end HP the engine will produce on the same engine setup. cam timing also plays a factor here, but one can generalize on the overlap statement.

the x1 requires cam tower modifications. The X2 does not.

so what is the best cam then, for a 480cc woods racing bike with high comp piston, fcr, the works

chad502ex
03-14-2005, 06:18 PM
when you dyno test an engine, what do you check for, degree of the cam, and jetting, or what? we have a dyno up at the dunes that is like $15 for 3 runs, i was thinkin about tuning my bike on it, but dont know what to look for

degree'n a cam in on the dyno is a task that takes more time to perform than performing jet changes. Many dyno owners will encourage and permit jet changes. On the other hand, degree'n in a cam takes a little more time to perform. I was fortunate to have patient dyno operator(s) [shout-out to Mobile Dyno and Motorsports Performance in Frederick MD] that allowed me to degree in my cam while strapped on the dyno.

first things first!
1. dial in jetting (A/F) with your setup
2. observe A/F reading for 13:1 air fuel ratio. below 13 on A/F, jetting is rich. above 13 on A/F jetting is lean. go to step 3 not until 13 is obtained throughout rpm range.
3. next observe hp curve prinout, if power increases all the way to rev limit on plot then your done; if not go to step 4.
4. degree cam (retard cam timing) to push torque up towards rev limit. Because hp= (torque x rpm)/5250, the more torque you can push up in the higher rpm's- the more hp the engine develops. 5250 is where all torque and hp curves cross (see dyno plot attached). If the goal is hp, then retard cam timing. if the goal is torque advance cam timing. find desired cam timing- go to step 5.
5. dial in for new cam timing to optimize newly obtained power.

try looking at the 530 dyno below with a calculator and pick any rpm, then use the equation in step 4 and you'll begin to realize how to obtain hp or torque ;)

I think I'll copy and paste this for my website, huh!

hope this helps.

chad502ex.com