PDA

View Full Version : esr trx6 or trx5

jcas
03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
My 87 has an ESR 310 kit w/trx9 port, cool head w/ high compression dome, c/f reeds, cr reed cage, and 38 mm airstryker. Right now I'm using the ESR trx6 pipe. Will going to a trx5 pipe make a noticeable difference? I know I'll lose some low end, but will the bike pull harder and longer at the top end? I use this bike mainly in the dunes and open areas. Thanks

YFZRob
03-12-2005, 06:36 AM
I have an ESR 310 kit w/ TRX-7 porting. ESR suggested the TRX5 pipe, but I want more low end. The pipe is slower to come on, but has a pretty impressive top end. I am actually looking to buy a TRX6 or PT Race pipe. Would you be interested in trading? I have all of maybe 2 hours on my TRX5.

zedicus00
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
the trx-5 would b good if you get a good deal on it. if you mostly run open areas and hav 9 porting i would recomend a trx-11 pipe. you will love the topend it gives you.

rdgarry
03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Hey yfzRob I have a PT midrange pipe that that worked great with my CT310, I have a 350pv now and would like to try ES top end pipe, if your interested in trading let me know.

jcas
03-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Went to the local honda shop today to pick up a vp gas jug and they had a new (but dusty) trx5 pipe on the wall. I asked the sales person if it was a 5, and she said it's been up there so long she didn't know. She got it down and said if I wanted it I could have it for $150 w/ tax. Put it on, and it's awesome. Feels so much stronger than the 6. Top end is sweet. I really have no traction now! So anybody interested in the 6? Anyone know what the average shipping cost would be? Thanks

YFZRob
03-14-2005, 08:44 AM
rdgarry,

Well, after speaking with ESR, they have convinced me the TRX5 pipe won't be any softer on the bottom end than any other pipe except for low only pipes like the TRX6 and others that are designed just for "low to mid" power.

smwood79
05-03-2005, 08:51 PM
YFZRob, check your PM's, I have a nice TRX6 pipe. I think I need TRX5. Let me know.

1988R
05-04-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by YFZRob
I have an ESR 310 kit w/ TRX-7 porting. ESR suggested the TRX5 pipe, but I want more low end. The pipe is slower to come on, but has a pretty impressive top end. I am actually looking to buy a TRX6 or PT Race pipe. Would you be interested in trading? I have all of maybe 2 hours on my TRX5.

If you want to sell you TRX5 im in the market for one. Let me know

YFZRob
05-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Well, the bottom was very disappointing until I just recently swapped to race gas with the 18cc dome. There is a VERY strong bottom end, as well as a shorter 'off pipe' RPM range now. I am still debating about keeping the pipe or selling it. I don't think I want any other ESR pipes since I'm not too pleased with fitment.

Prey
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
i was hoping to hear that about the domes, i popped my 310 and am taking it to a pro build and switching from the 98 octane dome (21-22cc something like that) to the 18cc and was hoping to see a difference.....i have the trx5 port

YFZRob
05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I was AMAZED at the difference. Speaking of domes and octane, that's one thing that really gets me. They show 98 octane for the pump gas dome, which doesn't exist, but when you talk to ANYONE at ESR, they all claim that 93 octane pump is fine with the pump gas dome. Well, after going through TWO top ends, I have finally switched to race gas and the 18cc dome. So far so good, but I'm going to pull the head in a couple more hours of riding just to make sure there are no signs of detonation. If I followed the instruction sheet and used 98 octane or more, I probably would have saved myself a LOT of money.

Anyway, you'll be very very impressed with the stronger bottom end with the race gas dome. For an extra $2.00 a gallon for 110 leaded over 93 pump, it's worth it! Even for just the power improvement, let alone keeping the top end alive for more than 2-3 hours of use! :mad:

What's the TRX-5 porting? I thougth the low-mid was TRX-7? and then TRX-9 for the mid/mid-high.

Prey
05-06-2005, 08:45 AM
trx5 is low and mid end port, its really for gncc type riding but i use it for mx as i always race budds creek (real steep hills and a lot of hairpin turns).

think trx7 is more of a mid for mx and trx9 is more top end for drag racing

on the steepest hills at budds it will strongly pull all 6 gears up the hills (my predator with stock tires and gearing would not stronly pull 3rd)

i mixed 1 gallon of 115 octane with 4 gallons of 93 octane to try and come up with 98 octane which ended up not working either (kaboom) so im switching domes and will just run 115 octane only

1988R
05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Prey
trx5 is low and mid end port, its really for gncc type riding but i use it for mx as i always race budds creek (real steep hills and a lot of hairpin turns).

think trx7 is more of a mid for mx and trx9 is more top end for drag racing

ESR's porting is TRX 7,9,11 which is bottom-mid,mid-top-and top and their pipes are TRX 5,6,11 which are 6 being a bottom-mid pipe the 5 is an all around pipe and the 11 is top end

YFZRob
05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Wow, that's surprising. Darin informed me differently on the porting. I'm very glad I didn't get TRX-9 porting! When I told him this was most a trail bike and I didn't want a mushy bottom, he suggested the 7 porting, but with a TRX-5 pipe, which would be a decent combo.....sounds like a mid combo, definitely not a low/mid-low combo.

What did your piston look like when your motor died? I'm trying to figure out if my problem is the same as yours.....octane. My piston was melted on the exhaust side down to the upper ring practically. After talking with numerous people and Jay at ESR, he claims that it's either a bad flywheel or not enough octane. He claims this because to melt a piston that badly, it takes massive detonation, caused by either improper timing or not enough octane. The flywheel is practically brand new on my motor....I was shocked when I inspected it, so I can only account that octane is the problem. My jetting is pig rich too.... 50 pilot, DDJ needle on 4th clip, and 190 main.

Prey
05-06-2005, 10:16 AM
apaologies, 88r is right, i was getting confused between pipes and porting, i have the trx7 porting.

Mine did not melt, it just broke at the top of the piston, i had just finished break in and did a 4 lap race, it would not start for the 2nd moto and this is what i found

http://home.comcast.net/~kstanka/atv/image/piston.gif

YFZRob
05-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Well, mine looks kind of the same way, but it looks like it melted away, not just snapped off. Here are some photos....

http://www.looseboltsmotorsports.com/images/Piston0006.JPG

and

http://www.looseboltsmotorsports.com/images/Piston0007.JPG

powerslider
05-06-2005, 09:15 PM
That is detonation all right..

Prey
05-07-2005, 01:40 PM
i had my bike at a pro builder today, he noticed a lip sticking out right at the top of the exhaust port where the piston/rings had been rubbing, hopefully i can contact ESR again about it and they will do something about it

suppose it doesnt matter, I will want to keep exactly what i have when he gives it back to me