PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 450r locked up!!

andy roth
03-11-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey all I just bought a 2004 leftover new 450r and the thing locked up in about 20 mins of breaking it in!!! I was soooo pissed! I call eastside Honda ( know as Troy Racing) in Dayton and they said bring it back. I waited till the Honda Rep. looked at it and I had to call them 3 times to get to talk to the honda rep.(MARK NEWHOUSE). Well he told me that the right side crank bearing failed because of the two outside washers on the crank was put on in the wrong order. He said that they would warranty the thing and I was pissed off because I wanted another 450r. I cant imagine the metal thats in the case and I know they dont disassemble and clean them completely. Has anyone else had this problem? And the worst part is I'm going on a trip to florida to ride next week! Well Mark NEWHOUSE( honda rep.) said that he would call me and find out how long for them to repair it . But he never called back , Now that is what I call BAD customer relations in my book Well what to do now?

03-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by andy roth
Hey all I just bought a 2004 leftover new 450r and the thing locked up in about 20 mins of breaking it in!!! I was soooo pissed! I call eastside Honda ( know as Troy Racing) in Dayton and they said bring it back. I waited till the Honda Rep. looked at it and I had to call them 3 times to get to talk to the honda rep.(MARK NEWHOUSE). Well he told me that the right side crank bearing failed because of the two outside washers on the crank was put on in the wrong order. He said that they would warranty the thing and I was pissed off because I wanted another 450r. I cant imagine the metal thats in the case and I know they dont disassemble and clean them completely. Has anyone else had this problem? And the worst part is I'm going on a trip to florida to ride next week! Well Mark NEWHOUSE( honda rep.) said that he would call me and find out how long for them to repair it . But he never called back , Now that is what I call BAD customer relations in my book Well what to do now?

wow that is horrible, i would go over marks head, and talk to the manager, or the president, get over there heads and talk to someone high up there and try to get them to fix it asap and explain your situation

03-11-2005, 09:29 PM
call hondas 1-800 number and they will straighten the guy out

phoneman409
03-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Man sorry to here about that.
I had something similar happen to me but it was on a 2004 RC51 street bike. The 2nt week I had it the oil light would come on at idle. I took it in and three weeks later they said they had the parts in to fix it and told me that one of the gaskets in the engine was blocking the oil from getting to the engine and making the light go on. I did everything to get a new bike. Called and called to bigger and better people in Honda. Honda never did anything. I sent letters called everyday. Six months went buy with me making payments on this bike and not having it. $268.00 a month. I got it back and on the way home it died on me. I took it back and started all over again. It took two months for me to get it back this time and the night I took it home someone stole it from me. It was never found again. I hope they are are happy.

I truly think that my bike was a fluke and that I got bad customer service from the place I had service done. I will always have Hondas and think that you should call Honda and tell them that you would like a different shop look at it. Keep calling and someone will help you at some point.

Jersey450R
03-12-2005, 07:10 AM
dude man, that just blows. if that was me, i wouldnt even leave that dealer until i had a DIFFERENT 450 in my truck. 20 minutes and your stuck with a quad that has to have its motor opened up already. that just sucks. i feel for ya man, good luck.

andy roth
03-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Well I tried to get them to give me a new 450r today but with no luck. They give me that B.S. about it being a used bike now and That if I wanted a 2005 model then it would cost me $1000.00 more!!! How's that for customer service?And this is my 2nd atv I've bought from them. Well they(The dealer) said they would get the parts and have it ready by Thursday at the latest and deliver it to me. Well I am sure that they will make sure every piece of metal is out of the engine!(YEA RIGHT) I am going to call 1-800 honda and really tell them what I think of the way I am being treated. I am starting here to let everyone know what to expect when things go wrong. I guess they think that I dont have any friends that I ride with,talk to and tell about this.

ckasper18
03-12-2005, 07:17 PM
I am real sorry to hear that.I have been in the honda bussiness now for over 43 years and your dealer should jump threw hoops to take care of this problem i personally would have the parts urgent ordered and have the quad tore a part and back to you asap.If you were my customer you would be first on the list and you would have it back in a day or two.
The lemon law is a funny thing and i had went threw the same thing as you but not with honda it was ford.I had bought a $30,000.00 conversion van that started on fire because of some wiring issues and 2 months later i got it back and 3 days later i had more issues i was also pissed but the dealer took real good care of me which was great but i know how you feel.
The Honda dealership should take care of you if they value there customer let me know how things turnout.Good Luck.....
Mikes Cycle Shop Wisconsins oldest honda dealer..Chris

andy roth
03-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks everyone on the replys and looks like i'm not the only one thats been thru this! I will let you know how things turn out.I will be calling Honda Monday first thing.

gdkarma
03-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I know it isn't the same as having an all new quad, but what are the chances of getting an extended warranty? That might be a good idea, in case something goes wrong 2 years down the road. Just a thought. Maybe the dealer can give you a good deal on the warranty. I bought one for my VTX1800 after I purchased it back in 2001, and you can get these pretty cheap if a dealer is willing to give you a deal.

03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by gdkarma
I know it isn't the same as having an all new quad, but what are the chances of getting an extended warranty? That might be a good idea, in case something goes wrong 2 years down the road. Just a thought. Maybe the dealer can give you a good deal on the warranty. I bought one for my VTX1800 after I purchased it back in 2001, and you can get these pretty cheap if a dealer is willing to give you a deal.

i would get extended warrenty for my R, but i put so many parts on it, that within a week the warrenty is voided ;)

jeepnrocks
03-13-2005, 09:27 AM
man that sux :(

andy roth
03-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Yea you can puchase a 3 year extended warranty within the 6 month factory time period(Well thats the way my last atv was). And if I deside to keep it that long maybe I will. I heard that Honda may come out with electric start next year and thats something I miss on from my Kawasaki kfx400, By the way thats the bike I traded in for the broke Honda and I never had any problems with it within the two years I owned it. Go figure That I trade my Kawi for problems! LOL

ridered11
03-13-2005, 10:01 AM
honda tried to blow me off also, but with a 2000 honda odessy (minivan). something with the airconditioning was screwed up from day one. to make a long story short, we refused to have the airconditioning system replaced and demanded a new van, and after talking to president of honda and many others, we got it. it wasn't easy, but it can be done, just keep b*tching and they will let in

good luck man, sorry to hear about that

Punk'd
03-13-2005, 11:53 AM
they should cover it if not call the 800 number

andy roth
03-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Well I talked to Honda customer service today.I told them how my Honda rep. was'nt very perfessional and how upset that my new 450r locked up within 20 mins of run time. They said they couldnt help me in receiving a new 450(just what I thought too). And they also was sorry thhat the Honda rep. didnt return my call sooner. (It took 4 calls to the dealer to get the Honda rep. to call me back and he was at the dealer all day and finnally called me at the end of the day at 5:00). Someone else is having the same problems I'm having also on another post. Someone tell me whats going on inside these engines. I think the right side crank bearing is ether the incorrect size or a bad product. They are telling me it's the right side crank washers installed in wrong order?

houdy450ex
03-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Anyone know what serial numbers have bad bearings. Why would`nt honda recall this,what plant makes these engines? If its made in Marysville and mine goes bad I`m gonna stick my foot in some assemblers ***! Just got mine two weeks ago, only have about 2 hours on it.Guess I`ll cross my fingers and buy extended warranty!

awj8074
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
http://img179.exs.cx/img179/883/quadfix7hx.jpg
http://img179.exs.cx/img179/374/quadfix21gf.jpg

heres the invoce from the dealer when my bearing went bad.

awj8074
03-16-2005, 09:38 AM
i seems that its always the right crank bearing too.

03-16-2005, 05:15 PM
are these available in a kit? a bearing kit made by honda?

chad502ex
03-16-2005, 05:27 PM
not sure about this being the reason for failure but honda did change the part number from
91008-HN1-671 to 91008-HN1-672

this is the right crankcase crank roller bearing

:confused: :confused:

03-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
not sure about this being the reason for failure but honda did change the part number from
91008-HN1-671 to 91008-HN1-672

this is the right crankcase crank roller bearing

:confused: :confused:

well if that is the change...then i need to speak to my dealer and get a new bearing

rowlrag
03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Good God!!, from the estimated cost of that invoice they should have put in a new motor, i priced one and if I remember it was around $2800 retail.

jaspurx
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
It would appear that honda should have left the lemmons to trees , and produce quality products instead:grr:

chad502ex
03-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by jaspurx
It would appear that honda should have left the lemmons to trees , and produce quality products instead:grr:

i like that statement

86atc250r
03-17-2005, 09:18 AM
How's that for customer service?

Demanding a new 2005 ATV for a 2004 failed engine is probably not the best route to attempt. I don't think you'll get far with that mentality.

However, if I were you I'd be demanding a crate engine instead of a rebuild. That's a much more reasonable and likely to be approved request.

TCracin440ex
03-17-2005, 09:26 AM
i dont know if anybody has said this or not....i didnt feel like reading all the posts they were too long....but dude you cant expect them to give you a new bike when the motor failed...you should get them to give you a brand new motor to go in your 04...take it and be happy with it...if it was in my hands i wouldnt give you a new bike either...get honda to give you a new motor and dont expect something for nothing...i know you paid your money for your bike just like everybody did....but dont expect another brand new bike just because motor failure...my motor went in my truck and i didnt expect a new truck....i just got another motor

awj8074
03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by rowlrag
Good God!!, from the estimated cost of that invoice they should have put in a new motor, i priced one and if I remember it was around $2800 retail. honda didnt have any motors in stock so we had to go peice by peice. had to wait 2 weeks becuase half the case was on backorder