PDA

View Full Version : some questions about the 300ex

ny300exrider
05-07-2002, 07:07 PM
i am bored and i am getting very very close to buying my used 300ex but i want to ask some questions even though i don't even have a quad. i was about to buy a 1995 300ex that was bored to 334 with wiseco pistons, 18in. shredder tires on rear 22 in. bandits in front, renthals, ac bumber, dg nerfs, k&n filter, and a complete dg rcm exaust. i wanted to see the guy ride it before i bought it to see how it runs. well put it this way, he hit 5th gear and came back with oil blowing out of a tube on the left side of the quad. i was kind of leary about this and wanted to know what was wrong. he said it was just an overflow of oil he put in. this led to more problems. i asked him why it was overflowed and he said there was no dipstick. then i looked very closely and found the nerfs were cracked half way around, and it looked like the steering stem mount or something along those lines had a big crack in it. What was that oli blowing. do you think it was blow-by or something. i also have to say i hated that dg pipe. i want to be allitle loud, but nothing like that. how does the hmf or yoshi, or white-bros r-4, or pro-circuit t-4 compare to the loudness of the dg. are those at least quieter than the dg. i am liking the r-4 and t-4 but if the hmf with quiet core compares to any of them it is worth considering.

thanks so much for readin dis long post.

PDunes300ex
05-07-2002, 08:20 PM
Id say look for a different bike. Sounds like that one was ridden pretty hard. Unless it is dirt cheap look for a nice stock or mildly modded used bike. You can usually tell if a bike has been well taken care of...and that one sounds a little abused.

Pipes: as far as pipes go, get whatever brand you want just make sure you get a compete exhaust and not a slip on for the 300ex...the stock headpipe is really small. Most aftermarket pipes are loud...bud i'd say Yoshimura complete $$$...WB Eseries...FMF powercore or Megamaxx. Just my two cents

ny300exrider
05-08-2002, 06:28 AM
thanks, i forgot to say i passed that quad up, i justr wanted to know what was wrong with it. i am thinking about the white-brothers e-series complete so i can use the disks to dampen the sound.

$$$moneyex
05-08-2002, 06:31 AM
ONLY GET THAT BIKE IF U WANT TO BE FIXING IT THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. THE DG IS VERY LOUD. I SAY KEEP LOOKING

dirtclog
05-08-2002, 07:16 PM
$3600

2000 300ex
dg skids
renthal bars
250x ignition holder
ac front bumper
22" razrs on honda wheels on rear with one brand new spare on another honda wheel
23" razr fronts on 1" offset douglas red labels
22" stock fronts on stock wheels
ceet seat cover
fmf full exhaust
k+n with outerwear

stock parts
original adult owner, well maintained

six pack in picture is sold already..stock grab bar back on.

bigbadbrad
05-12-2002, 10:52 AM
point of the 250x ingtion holder?
whta does it do? what does it look like?
thanks i was just wondering

Jim300ex
05-12-2002, 03:17 PM
where did u get that chrome headpipe cover, wanna part some of that bike out?

DEAL
05-12-2002, 03:27 PM
Your best bet is buying a 300ex that is stock or near stock , because a bike that was tinkered with alot will most likely mean you are working on it alot. Believe me , I learned my lesson when i bought mine.
It ran good for about 6 months , then little problems just started showing up and it just got worse and worse , thank god i got it pretty much settled now other than my starter.

Zero Z400
05-12-2002, 03:41 PM
Dirt wheels did a review on the HMF for the 300ex. That thing is loud a s f***. The quite core was 103db, the CT pipe is only 102db. And the normal hmf is 107db. That is some loud stuff.

Later

dirtclog
05-12-2002, 07:15 PM
the 250x ignition holder lets you take the dumb looking "batwing" off the handlebars and even put aftermarket bars on (renthals) and keeps it all looking stock. keeps the ignition switch in the same spot.

got the heat shield from james lucky enterprises

depends on how low I have to go to sell the quad as to what I'm going to part out...I was going to possibly put the stock wheels and tires on front and stock exhaust back on if the price went down to much.

FreeStylexrider,
This isn't intended to be a flame but if you bought a quad and six months later you had some problems, I think it was your fault not the previous owners. I've seen many quads get thrashed in less than 6 months.

This quad is clean and strong for anyone interested..I'll deliver from Columbus, Oh to Savannah, Ga...make an offer if you think to much

05-12-2002, 07:43 PM
I put a FNF Power Core pipe and K&N filter with pre charger on
my 300 ex. You can't beat the loud, low tone of a 4-stroke.

SUPER_DAVE
05-12-2002, 08:13 PM
What about a Curtis Sparks pipe are they any good?

05-17-2002, 03:18 PM
i have a 87 250x handelbar cover on my 2002 300ex just hit it with some paint to match and they look slick like dirt clog said i have some renthals on mine and the bat-winged ones just didnt fit well.

"BLAHH"300!!
05-17-2002, 03:57 PM
that oil comming out of that tube wassn't from over filling.
his ring's are shot. the bike will still run strong with it like this, but you need to replace the ring's. the compression on this bike is a little low too probabbly, couse he's loosing it right out of that tube. if he's ran the bike this for a long time then chances are there's been wear on the valves and possibly a few scratches on the cylinder walls'. if the walls are scratche'd and the bike is already bore'd to a true 330 then you'd need to bore again. the 330 is the largest' "DEPENDABLE" bore for the 300ex. so pretty much if you bore again on this bike then you be going off into unchartered territory, running hot and the like's. the 300 already runns a little hot as it is, the 330 bore didn't cool it down any and any larger and you could light a cigarett off the head.hehe.
my ring's are shot and i'm blowing oil too, but i'm still at stock bore when i get around to getting it fixed i'm only ganna jump it up to a 305 so i leave plenty of room.
i still run mine hard with out worry, and i've learned to recognize when to let off the throttle to keep from blowing out oil (the rev. limiter will start to kick in and smoke will blow out the exhaust, if it blow's out when your in a dough-nut it'll blow onto your head pipe and really smoke. not cool when you trying to look cool)
plus the 18inch rear tire's arent helping. i have th 18's for mine, but i also have a set of larger tire's on extra rim's. i can run the larger tire's all day and it might not blow out at all, but when i run the 18's i've gatta wash my sox.
....that guy was trying to pull a fast one you, or maybe he just didn't know. but i wouldn't buy this bike. good thing he told you it bored to 330. if it was at stock bore i'd say get it, replace the ring's bore if needed and replace the rear tire's with some's 20's or 22's......later man....

"BLAHH"300!!
05-17-2002, 04:02 PM
if you have the cash and are into racing then this might not be a bad bike.

replace the ring's, bore up, and add an oil cooler....you'll have a fast machine. it'll keep it's cool, keep up with the big boy's and be alot lighter
...but i wouldn't recomend this for the average trail rider,
A.K.A -- YOU

"BLAHH"300!!
05-17-2002, 04:20 PM
if you have the cash and are into racing then this might not be a bad bike.

replace the ring's, bore up, and add an oil cooler....you'll have a fast machine. it'll keep it's cool, keep up with the big boy's and be alot lighter
...but i wouldn't recomend this for the average trail rider,
A.K.A -- YOU

Scott
05-17-2002, 04:33 PM
A 330 will run with a stock 400, but not with anything bigger (416, 440). Also the 300 and 400 are within a couple pounds of each other, so you're not going to be any lighter. Actually, I was thinking the 400 was about 3 pounds lighter, not that it really matters...

BTW, I have a 300. One friend has a 330, everyone else has 400's/440's. When it comes to raw power, I'll be dead last out of my group. Gotta pass em in the woods, cause they'll kill me in the open and on hills.

As for the size thing, I'm 6' and 180lbs and I don't feel cramped on mine. In the woods, I'm very comfortable with the "compact" 300ex. But my next quad will be a 400 or a Z400 for the increased power and room. Gotta be able to double my boy once he's able to walk!

"BLAHH"300!!
05-17-2002, 05:41 PM
....i didn't mean he'd out power em'. just that he'd be able to hang with em'...not necisarally out run em' but not be left at the starting line while there through half the course.

i've got the 300 too. freind has the 400. i don't know where i lost all my weight at but the differance in the 2 weight wise is like night and day. i can grab my nerf bar and lift it to it's side with one hand. but i can't do that with his 400. and i'm not that strong.

Rastus
05-18-2002, 10:15 AM
400's are probably wider.The stock 300EX front rims and tires are narrow,etc. Thats why i reversed my rims to get it wider.300;s, and 250X's are fun in the woods though. Some guy on a mojave250(stock) wants to race me. Whos gonna win?

"BLAHH"300!!
05-18-2002, 05:10 PM
reversing your rims puts stress on youe tie rods'
i woudn't recomend it...there are a few people on this site that do it i believe, and one guy on here with front wheel spacer's
the guy with the spacer's has been tryin' to sale em' becouse it put stress on his tie rods and he keeps bending em'....
i've got an adjustable axel on mine, but as far as the front goes, it's stayin at stock unless i get wider a-arm's.....

but you know.....ur' bike....