PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

baker250r
03-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Hey, i installed my clutch tonight, and i pullin on the clutch lever and it hardly disengages at all. anybody know wuts wrong?

zedicus00
03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
could be as simple as needing adjusted. maybe you bent the bresure plate? what yr is it? maybe you forgot the steel spacer ball or the washer that goes on the bearing?

baker250r
03-11-2005, 08:08 PM
the only thing i adjusted is the cable.... is there other adjustmetns on it? it is a 88 motor, and it has some aftermarket basket... but what company, i dont know. i got the ball in the thing and i got all plates in and steel plates i couldnt have bent the presure plate, cuz i didnt drop it or anything. is there a special way u put the first or last friction plate in? i never had the basket off or anything, so preaty much all i did was a plate swap.

zedicus00
03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
actually thouse presure plates bend really easy if u titen the bolts down all the way 1 at a time it will b bent. go in a star pattern and go about 3-5 turns on each bolt until they r all in completly. o and there is an adjuster on both ends of the cable i believe. i dont hav a stock clutch lever though.

dober250R
03-11-2005, 09:38 PM
i don't think you need the ball with an 88 motor...........scope it out in a clymer's manual......... i swear, i think of that thing as the bible............ just be patient. I know what it's like to have an R with something wrong, i built mine from boxes with pieces everywhere, got her cheap though.

zedicus00
03-11-2005, 10:49 PM
88 still uses the ball... u should hav dun the 89 update while u was in there though

baker250r
03-12-2005, 09:12 AM
I did cross tigten them, so i shoulf be fine there. what im asking, is there a clutch plate that is sposed to in first a certain way? my friends dad has worked on small engines for years and said there usually is 1 clutch plate like that. my cable is adjusted all the way out on either end.... so it should actually not be engaging. another question is, is the basket aposed to be tight, or be able to wobble a bit?

baker250r
03-12-2005, 09:13 AM
I also read the manul over and over, lol

JTRtrx250r
03-12-2005, 10:48 AM
the baskets do wobble a slight bit, even after being rebuilt..

remember...if the perch is adjusted all the way out...it will slip unless you have something else going on

a good trick w/ a new clutch is to let them sit over night in the tranny oil you run, sometimes if they're dry it takes a bit to get them worked in..(just like when ya let a bike sit for along time...it act's like there is no clutch untill it re-works itself in)

Did you install it w/ the "rounded" side of the plates up ...or down?

ckasper18
03-12-2005, 10:55 AM
You really should put the update kit in make sure the ball is round and does not have a flat spot .on it

ckasper18
03-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Make sure you also have the steel plates all facing the same way there will be a flat edge on the outside of the plate on one side and the other side will have no edge on it run your fingers across the out side edge and you will see what i am talking about

baker250r
03-12-2005, 11:11 AM
ok, i checked the balkl, and it has no flat spots, but there is a pit in where it goes into... that pushrod thing. is there sposed to be a pit there? the problem im having with this is... i push in on the clutch... and the pressure plate does not push out.

zedicus00
03-12-2005, 11:15 AM
there right u are supposed to soak the plates b4 using them so if its in yur quad roll it a lil ways an let it sit summor so the entire plate soaiks. and when i put mine together i noticed the last steel kept catching on the teeth i had to take the plate off move the steel around and hold it there while i was puting the plate on.... u might trt spinning the plate and stuff while u watch the edge jus to make sure its not bent.

baker250r
03-12-2005, 11:17 AM
what does the update kit consist of? i have a feeling i might already have i tin there.. seein as i got everything else

baker250r
03-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by baker250r
the problem im having with this is... i push in on the clutch... and the pressure plate does not push out.

and yes i let it soak. lol

zedicus00
03-12-2005, 12:19 PM
did u reuse the basket? if it had groves in it at all it may be causuing that.... thats what mine was doing

ckasper18
03-12-2005, 12:28 PM
If you have the ball bearing in there then you dont have the update kit it comes with a new rod flat bearing washer new pressure plate and the the little piece the ball bearing fit into let me go look in stock i may have the kit ..........

baker250r
03-12-2005, 01:19 PM
boy i feel hella dumb now..... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! lol. my clutch cable is stretched way out.... so i need a new one of them.

ckasper18
03-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Its always the easy things