PDA

View Full Version : Proof of 2 stroke ban?

XANDADA
03-11-2005, 12:02 PM
Just curious, why does everyone say that 2 strokes are banned from motorcycles & quads in 2006 or 2008 or whatever year?? Does anyone have proof of this? I can not for the life of me locate a federal document which supports this! I have read on these forums, at least 50 people, claim that it will be in effect in a given year and has been mandated by the EPA. I have gone to the EPA website and several other federal sites to locate this info and have come up empty. Everything that I have found has stated the exact opposite - two stroke engines are alive and well and have a future. The only thing that the EPA says is that after 2006, they must meet new stricter emissions standards (and so do 4 stroke engines). Quads/cycles sold as competition models do not even have to meet this requirement. Here is the latest info I can find from the EPA: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/nonroad/2002/f02039.pdf

Quad18star
03-11-2005, 01:17 PM
I ahve heard about it on TV , read it in newspapers and magazines , and from my local dealer when he went to the national dealers meetings .

What will happen , like you said , is that if they don't meet certain emission requirements , they will be banned from being sold . Things will happen like what has been happening with vehicles .... if a car or truck doesn't meet Federal regulations on emissions .... it is illegal to sell or operate them .

Now technology is advancing , and it is being capable for 2 strokes to emit less emissions than some 4stroke type engines . I just read an article out of a Bombardier Outboard Motors book about the new "E-Tec" motors . 2 stroke motors with less emission than a 4stroke ... I was impressed .

03-11-2005, 01:19 PM
i have bulletins from bombider (evinrude/johnson) and mercury about it.. its coming..

Jesse

XANDADA
03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
What does the mfg's bulletin say? Doesn't Mercury know about their own Optimax product line which exceeds the 2006 EPA standards as well as the 2008 proposed standards?! http://www.mercurymarine.com/mercury_optimax

Evinrude, a subsid of Bombardier, has the e-tec product line which also exceeds the 2006 standards http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Campaigns/Emissions.htm

jesshamner
03-11-2005, 01:40 PM
I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't seen any documentation of a ban of all 2 strokes. Brad Oakley of www.blackwidowatv.com has developed an engine that he says will meet requirements and won't be subject to banning. He says there is a way around it.

03-11-2005, 01:55 PM
its the 2010 proposal thats gonna squash em.. in 06 and in 08 and in 10, the noose will get tighter and tighter ... there not going to just flush them out completly..

Jesse

XANDADA
03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
I have been wondering the same thing. I haven't seen any documentation of a ban of all 2 strokes. Brad Oakley of www.blackwidowatv.com has developed an engine that he says will meet requirements and won't be subject to banning. He says there is a way around it.

Yes, he's selling it for competition use which the EPA directly states in the above link - does not need to meet ANY of our standards. Any mfg including Yamaha or Honda can do this also...

jesshamner
03-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Who wants to sell a non competition 2 stroke anyway? lol. Whats stopping them from selling it as a comp quad when customer can take their comp quad to the trails? Will they be outlawed on trails?

03-11-2005, 02:08 PM
yall are misleaded by the whole thing.. you can still use the 2 strokes you have, they are just not going to be producing them any longer..

if i can get this scanner workin ill post up the paperwork i have from the major manufactures

Jesse

XANDADA
03-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Dirt Merchant
yall are misleaded by the whole thing.. you can still use the 2 strokes you have, they are just not going to be producing them any longer..

if i can get this scanner workin ill post up the paperwork i have from the major manufactures

Jesse

MFG's call that a "voluntary withdrawal from the marketplace" ...that is nowhere near a gov't enforced ban on a product.

I respectfully think you are being mislead or don't understand what a ban is. There is nothing prohibiting them from making it except themselves. Doesn't Honda plan on making the cr250, cr125 in 2006? I haven't heard anything about them discontinuing those products, which means that they must meet the 2006 EPA standards (or are being sold as competition models).

03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
mercury dropped there best selling hi po motor because it was 2 stroke in 05 without notice... so judging from that, ill say it would happen without notice.. but i could be wrong, its just going on from what mercury had happen.. you can still get the parts, but you cant buy the complete motor.. you can go order it, but then will be toldits no longer produced..

the motor is the 2.5 liter efi motor.

Jesse

XANDADA
03-11-2005, 02:56 PM
That's cause they replaced it with the Optimax line (2 stroke) which made it obsolete. It was replaced with another, better two stroke...

deathman53
03-11-2005, 06:18 PM
aren't cr250's and such already competition only bikes, I know the banchee and blaster, trail blazer and most 2 stroke atv's are gone, unless they get changed to competition only bikes.

baker250r
03-12-2005, 09:32 AM
So u mean their goona stop making the TRX 250r?? :huh

SadisticShee
03-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Im tired of hearing all this two stroke bull****' my banshee is gonna be around forever so NEW JERSEY can get used to it