PDA

View Full Version : Help!...KFX400 or Vinson 500 Shift?

B2ATV
03-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi All,

I have a dilemma...I want to puchase my first atv, and I'm torn between a sport (KFX 400) -vs- sport utility (Vinson 500 shift) atv. I want something FUN and somewhat sporty to ride. Not planning on doing any major utility work with it (snow plowing, ranch work, towing, etc.) and I'm not going to race it. I plan on trail riding only. I was all set to purchase the KFX, then spoke to a local trail riders organization president, and she strongly recommended a 4X4...she said she see's a lot of non 4X4's getting stuck where they ride. I'm assuming they must ride a lot of hilly/muddy areas.
How many of you "trail riders" have any problems getting stuck with your KFX/Z's? Can more aggressive tires on the KFX help with muddy trail riding? Anyone have any experience riding both kinds of atv's...what would you recommend? I know a lot of you are going to ask - what kind of trail riding are you going to do?...but I'm not 100% sure what I'm going
to find here in the Rochester, NY area for trails.
Any advice would be welcome...I'd hate to make a $5-6K mistake!
Thanks!

jvd182
03-11-2005, 12:58 PM
hey im from rochester to. It really depends tell me were you ride and i could probly tell you about it. My aim is jvd183 if you have aim.

jvd182
03-11-2005, 01:01 PM
and ya my friend has a z400(same thing) and practicly i never get stuck on my 300ex because ussaly the very very big spots have high spots you can cruise right though even though i kinda find getting stuck fun. You really dont need to worry about it because they would have 4X4's that could help pull you out if you need it. You could add some irazrs, razr 2's, holeshot hd's in the 22 size would also help.

redrunner
03-12-2005, 07:50 AM
In all the rides I have done:

1) sport quads a lot of fun and a work out.
2) buddies on 4x4 don't get dirty and wear jeans.
3) i get stuck they pull me out.
4) utilities can be modded to kick arse.
5) utilites can be modded to jump, well kinda.
6) basically they are two different sports all together.

just my .02 cents;)

spangman
03-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I'll throw this at you, I have a 400EX and the owner of my company has a new Brute Force 750, I went riding at his house the other day (very, very muddy conditions) we were both in "work" clothes. On the 400EX my clothes were trashed in like 5 minutes, he stayed clean because of his fenders and the fact that he didn't have to "holeshot" every hill. He went as fast or as slow as he wanted to. I never rode a 4X4 before, and all I can say is WOW. That thing will go places that my friend's heavily modified Jeep won't go, mainly because of the width of vehicle, but there are also some entrance/departure angle issues. I used to think there was no good reason to buy a 4X4 unless you had a farm or needed to plow the driveway etc. I don't feel like I want to buy a 4X4 anytime soon (because I like my 400EX and the kind of riding that I do mostly with my friends supports the 2WD). If you have any friends that have quads, the best advice is to ride as many as you can before buying a "NEW" one. Both machines will go alot of places, but the 4X4 will go more places. They also both require different riding styles. Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide.