PDA

View Full Version : Do i have to toruqe the bolts?

Rootar
03-11-2005, 07:21 AM
i was wondering this because i got my whole front end off my 400 for painting the arms and cleaning it up and all that but when i put it back on do a have to tourqe the bolts as to the specs in my clymer manual it says (i think) 21 ft/ibs and 29 ft/ibs of tourqe or sumthin like that for the ball joint nut and for the arm bolts ( the 4 where they hook up to the frame) I wanna know this caus ewe dont have a torqe wrench and if i absolutely have to torqe them im gonna have to get my uncle to come up here and do it cause he is a mechanic and he has one.

300exOH
03-11-2005, 07:40 AM
You don't really have to have a torque wrench but it is recommended. Just make sure you don't over tighten them and you'll be fine. If you overtighten the front end may bind. Just check eveything after you get it together to make sure everything moves freely.

BTW-I just picked up a cheap torque wrench at walmart for $20. Worth the investment IMO. Good luck.

300exOH
03-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Forgot to add...Don't forget the blue locktite;)

kwatts400
03-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I would try and use a torque wrench if possible. I've seen some bolts break off in some pretty ugly places because off over tightening them (countershaft sprocket bolt). Its a very good investment for your quad.

Rootar
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
where would i find a torqe wrench at in walmart??? where else could i find one and are they like adjustable and what not what would i need to look for when looking for one? and yea thanks for reminding about the locktite i mite have for got if someone wouldnt have said something bout it

300exOH
03-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Rootar
where would i find a torqe wrench at in walmart??? where else could i find one and are they like adjustable and what not what would i need to look for when looking for one? and yea thanks for reminding about the locktite i mite have for got if someone wouldnt have said something bout it

No problem on the locktite reminder. I found the torque wrench in the auto section with the air tools. They only had one model when I bought mine. Mine is adjustable from 10 ft. lbs. to like 100 ft. lbs. If you can afford a more expensive one go for it but even a cheap one should do the job.

Rootar
03-11-2005, 06:57 PM
thanks for the info ill hjave to pick one up but im gonna borrow my neighbors tomorrow and get my frotn end back together so i can get some picks of it while its all pretty

trx310
03-12-2005, 07:06 PM
just tighten it up to snug and then give it two more strong pops. I even tighten my head bolts like this, never had a prob.