PDA

View Full Version : Ron Hamp Cycle

chad502ex
03-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Hello ppl!

Just wondering if anyone has used the services of the "KING" of 450's, Ron Hamp?

This guy truely is the "KING". He offers just about anything you need on these engines.

He has already made a crf hit 70hp.

He offers custom cams, custom kits, carbs and the whole works!

What I'm into getting from Ron is a crf tappered bore carb to 43mm and was wondering if anyone has gotten this from him already.

his web addy is
http://www.ronhamp.com

let me know if anyone has used his services please.

thanks in advance

D Bergstrom
03-12-2005, 04:19 PM
I have never had anything done by him, but he has done quite a few CRF's on thumpertalk.com. From what I hear he does really good work and he is highly recommended.

Doug

chad502ex
03-12-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by D Bergstrom
I have never had anything done by him, but he has done quite a few CRF's on thumpertalk.com. From what I hear he does really good work and he is highly recommended.

Doug

the man with a plan!

shaneb
03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
He is really busy and charges about 2k for the head work .....

There are a few flat track guys that get similar power to Ron Hamp ....

Also why bore the 41mm to 43mm ?? most people are using the hsr45 ...

Shane

86atc250r
03-17-2005, 08:50 AM
HSR has no TPS - throttle response and part throttle tuning will go down the toilet.

shaneb
03-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
HSR has no TPS - throttle response and part throttle tuning will go down the toilet.

Do not think so, the flat trackers are using this carb I bet that have a solution to the TPS problem (if there is a problem at all)

86atc250r
03-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Do not think so, the flat trackers are using this carb I bet that have a solution to the TPS problem (if there is a problem at all)

For some applications the sacrifice at part throttle may be worth the gain at full throttle.

Don't think there's an issue? Do you think Honda & Yamaha put the TPS in place because they love wasting development $$$ on pointless electronic gadgetry?

The TPS enables the CDI box to use a 3D timing map that significantly improves part throttle, throttle response and tuneability at part throttle - it has no effect at full throttle.

Try disconnecting yours before giving me a sarcastic "do not think so"

Anyhow - there may be a workaround by jerry-rigging up an Automotive TPS and setting it to work within the parameters of the stock TPS - wouldn't be too difficult, but I doubt many have the "know how" to get it done.... Heck, most don't even understand what it does....

chad502ex
03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
position through resistance reports back to pre-programmed "mapping" a value that the CDI can interpret as a particular A/F velocity at every throttle posion from idle to WOT so that the exponential response of the carb can be determined into a somewhat linear approach by adjusting timing to velocity for maximum output.

or something like that,..

CV carbs (constant velocity) doesn't require TPS because CV carbs are linear and velocity increases a contant rate as throttle is opened as opposed to stock 450r carb.

is this making sense to anyone?

shaneb
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
For some applications the sacrifice at part throttle may be worth the gain at full throttle.

Don't think there's an issue? Do you think Honda & Yamaha put the TPS in place because they love wasting development $$$ on pointless electronic gadgetry?

The TPS enables the CDI box to use a 3D timing map that significantly improves part throttle, throttle response and tuneability at part throttle - it has no effect at full throttle.

Try disconnecting yours before giving me a sarcastic "do not think so"

Anyhow - there may be a workaround by jerry-rigging up an Automotive TPS and setting it to work within the parameters of the stock TPS - wouldn't be too difficult, but I doubt many have the "know how" to get it done.... Heck, most don't even understand what it does....

Chill out punk ....

Disconnect yours and try it .....

My might be able to measure the diff on a dyno but thats about it ...

Ever talked to anyone running the hsr45 ?? I have .....

I have disconnected the tps on a few differnt bikes and I could not tell a diff at all ..... Do you have any experince or are you just spitting out what you read in dirt wheels ......

#1speedbump
03-17-2005, 05:40 PM
oh no another know it all. I am so happy that we can have such knowlegable peeps on this forum. it's just a shame that he wasnt here all along, we would all be better off for sure.:rolleyes:

Shane, before you go and start with the attitude maybe you should sit down and get to know the person your arguing with. Gabe happens to be one of the more intelligent people when it comes to quads and their various parts. He has contributed to this site and another with very helpful and well informed knowledge.

For the sake of the people on the other forum please do not become a memeber there. It has enough going that we dont need any more sensory overload from people with your vast array of knowledge.

shaneb
03-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the advise please do not take it the wrong way if I ignore you completely ....

the fact is that this statment is not correct.

"throttle response and part throttle tuning will go down the toilet."

I have spoken to Ron (Hamp) and others about the hsr45 and they have no problems with throttle response ...

chad502ex
03-17-2005, 06:34 PM
shaneb dood chill man, your batting a 1000! I thought i was bad a piss'n ppl off! LOL

shaneb
03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Here is a link to the other builder that is big into the flat track scene with the 450s ...
DRS is the name of the company you will find it on the page below

http://www.terrypoovey18.com/sponsors.php3

86atc250r, char502ex and #1speedbump
I would not bother to talk to this guy am I sure you know more than him anyway

chad502ex
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by shaneb
Here is a link to the other builder that is big into the flat track scene with the 450s ...
DRS is the name of the company you will find it on the page below

http://www.terrypoovey18.com/sponsors.php3

86atc250r, char502ex and #1speedbump
I would not bother to talk to this guy am I sure you know more than him anyway

shane, i don't understand your issue that you are having with us, but i could really care less! I have not seen anything you have offered technical at all, just attacks and meaningless *****'ing. I even checked out your links on your signature thinking that maybe you had something that could benefit technically for the viewers and me- only to find out that the information you post on your website sucks donkey dongs! anyone who uses a flexible arm on the end of a dial indicator to degree in a cam has no freeg'n clue! I read you diary on your build and that crap made me laugh my arse off! keep trying or offer proof (technically) that your words are wisdom and not just "rumor".

shaneb
03-18-2005, 02:24 PM
thank you for the kind words

people like you are proof of the following concept in math.

- * - = +

Please continue to bash me, if you were to agree with anthing I had said I would have most likley been wrong.

For everyone else give RDS a call they are on the leading edge of the 450r ....

shaneb
03-18-2005, 02:32 PM
sorry I missed this part ....

"I read you diary on your build and that crap made me laugh my arse off! keep trying or offer proof (technically) that your words are wisdom and not just "rumor"."

I have a 400ex (that I can dune) that can keep up with the inner circle sparks(400ex) bikes at four stroke wars.

I can not tak any credit for the engine build (but FDO can). But the engine and chassis tuning seem to be fairly good becuse I can keep up or beat many bikes that a much lighter than mine.

What is your claim to fame ??

chad502ex
03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by shaneb
What is your claim to fame ??

I have never claimed fame

Heh, if there was ever fame, where is my fortune?

Just for everyone to be included- this was my PM to shane after he PM'd me harsh words.

shane all i'm saying is that your just starting trouble. if you have any techical info in engine building or contributions- mention them! it just seems as though everything you say is just talk or BS with no proof thus far. you even drummed into two of my threads and just started trouble. where is your "contribution" of your success? you can't even post a dyno from your build other than your 44hp 440 ex on your site done years ago.

But since you've asked about my accomplishments or contributions?

thus far here' is my humble opinion......
my "accomplishment" is that I was the first to build the 502 before anyone in the entire country had in 1999 on the 400ex and it still performs better than 99% of the machines out there even as a "backup" quad.

my "contribution and accomplishment" is that i designed and built a 530R before anyone had and infamous engine builders have even copied and sold replica kits as their own.

my "contribution" is that i don't charge $0.01 for information and post my success and failures are for everyone to learn and comment on.

my "accomplishment" is that my 502 is making 75ft/lbs of torque! yea, maybe a measly 48hp peak but that engine wasn't setup to be hp engine just torque'r.

contribution to atv racing? i do this as my hobby and still lead the pack of so-called famous engine builders that can't keep up with my numbers.

get real shane. if you wanta talk reasonably, i'm willing to wipe the slate clean and start over and maybe learn a thing or two from each other. otherwise, if your not interested in repairing and starting over, exposed middle. The choice on how we proceed is yours!

BTW: Ron is da man! :macho

cataway
06-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Ron is a very clever guy. his only failing is ,like me , he is getting old and very few can fill his shoes. he knows how to get power out of an engine with many claims to fame.