PDA

View Full Version : Stumped!..A few Predator Questions

smokin_fst_pred
03-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok, I got the battery fully charged, checked all connections everything seems to be fine. But, the thing is when you touch the starter button nothings happens. Another thing when i took the side plate off on the left side, were the magneto is, there was oil in there, not sure if there supposed to be or not.

On another forum someone said it may be a fuse, can anyone tell me were the fuses are on the predator?

Also, right after the started stopedd working, it would bump start (pull it behind another quad, and pop it in gear) I'm wondering if a fuse was bad, would it still "bump start"

Can anyone help me:ermm:

RGERBER875
03-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Ok, this might sound lame but it has happened on two preds. So bear with me,

On the left side ( starter button side ) of handle bars cut or zip ties and re plug in the connections to the starter button, the zip ties are causing the wires to come unplugged.

Tell me if I am right

440exnacsracer
03-10-2005, 08:58 PM
make that 3 preds, happend on mine too

03-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Mine too:rolleyes:

Masher13
03-14-2005, 06:15 AM
I have had intermittent bad connections at the starter button itself. Had to take it apart and clean inside.

bradley300
03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by smokin_fst_pred
Ok, I got the battery fully charged, checked all connections everything seems to be fine. But, the thing is when you touch the starter button nothings happens. Another thing when i took the side plate off on the left side, were the magneto is, there was oil in there, not sure if there supposed to be or not.

On another forum someone said it may be a fuse, can anyone tell me were the fuses are on the predator?

Also, right after the started stopedd working, it would bump start (pull it behind another quad, and pop it in gear) I'm wondering if a fuse was bad, would it still "bump start"

Can anyone help me:ermm:

on my 300ex, i routinely blew the starter fuse. the starter would not work, but it would bump start

RGERBER875
03-16-2005, 08:22 AM
I am afraid to say it might be your 1 way bearing, did u notice a drag when trying to start before this happened.

Do some searches on one-way bearings or flywheel bolts and do some catching up, the 8 bolts that hold on the flywheel or backing out and breaking, ( change oil to see if metal shavings ) anyway Polaris is replacing parts for free even if out of warranty, the new flywheel bolts have different part number and have a locking agent on them such as locktite. Good luck

smokin_fst_pred
03-16-2005, 03:16 PM
UPDATE:

ok, i hook the truck to the battery with the with jumper cables, four wheeler to truck batter..and it started...i even tried charging the battery and it will not hold charge, so im think its the battery..

Any other sugestions?

dunepred
03-16-2005, 03:45 PM
have you check your rectifier ?

Tyler25
03-16-2005, 08:09 PM
get a new battery and start the tests all over again!

bpitas
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
My '05 came from the factory with a bad battery. If I charged it on the bike, it would hold a charge long enough to start, and if I killed it in the woods it would start back up if I did it right away, but spending any time off would kill it.

I just got a new battery last weekend and everything is fine, so I'm thinking maybe a few '05s got bad batteries.

-B

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by smokin_fst_pred
UPDATE:

ok, i hook the truck to the battery with the with jumper cables, four wheeler to truck batter..and it started...i even tried charging the battery and it will not hold charge, so im think its the battery..

Any other sugestions? My money is on it that its a recitifier! We had the SAME THING I had a thread about this at predatorowners.com before, it fixed our problem,but I would start with a fresh battery AND a recifier, Pro Com sells theres for half of what OEM is.

QuadJunkies
04-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by dunepred
have you check your rectifier ? hows yours doing BTW?? Did you get her all fixed ? :)

smokin_fst_pred
04-18-2005, 02:46 PM
the problem with mine was..inside the starter button theres a lil spring...and there 2 little "keepers" that keep the spring inside it..one had vibrated out...i got one and havnet had a problem since :macho

Its doing fine now had my first drag race yesterday...fastest pass was 6.080@50.54 mph in the 300ft.

chronicareo
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
smokin_fst_pred...... did u find out if there was supposed to be oil on the magneto side case? because i was missing a bolt from that side and oil slwly was seeping out so i guess i have oil in there too!

MAaudioX10
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes, there is suppose to be oil in there. There are rotating parts that need to be lubricated inside that case.

chronicareo
04-06-2006, 09:04 PM
thanks a bunch bud