View Full Version : Curtis Sparks full system for slip-on?

speedracer350X
03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
I have a stock, '03 400 EX. Would it we better to get a Sparks X-4, versus a slip-on for the money? I don't plan on doing any major engine mods, like to keep it near stock. Probably going to have my quad for the next 10 years or so. Also, I see on the Sparks website they offer a spark arrestor. Does anyone know if that will knock down the DB's some? noise will be an issue in my pipe selection. Long story short, I put a Cobra Jet exhaust on my 350X a few years back. It was wayyyyyy to loud, so I bought a Sparky spark arrestor and put that on the pipe, sounds very nice and tolerable.

cals400ex
03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
the x-4 makes great power. one of my buddies runs one on his built engine and it runs really strong. however, you can't buy the x-4 in stainless steel and the ceramic coating from sparks is crap. i would not buy a sparks pipe that isn't stainless. i guess you could buy this and get it coated by someone that is good. i bought the x-6 in stainless, because it comes in stainless. it never has given me any problems. as an alternative, i would buy a FULL HMF exhaust. you can get different colored silencers for an extra $20 and these pipes are stainless. a different buddy has one of these and they make great power. you can also get a spark arrestor with this to quiet things down a bit. just so you know, these aftermarket pipes with a spark arrestor will still be a decent amount louder than a stock exhaust, which you probably already know from owning a cobra. i would go the hmf route!

speedracer350X
03-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes, I realize any exhaust will be louder than stock. I guess I'm kinda partial to Sparks to give them some business. I think they have a good reputation. Also, I remember back in the day when Mr. Sparks raced an ATC 200X 3 wheeler for Team Honda back in the early to mid 80's.He seemed to have those 4 strokes dialed in back then. Personally, to me it seems that any slip on, no air box lid, proper jetting, produce roughly the same results on a stock 400EX, without much variance in a particular brand. But the way I figure, if I'm going to spend $250 -300 on a slip on, might as well just save a little more and get a decent full system. Anyways, thanks for the advice, any personal experience with thse parts is appreciated!!

Bender
03-11-2005, 10:30 AM
Sparks IMHO is so over rated. They made good power in the day, but so do most pipes. The quality and fitment is not that great, epecially for the $ money you gotta shell out just to have that nifty Sparks sticker. HMF, Big Gun, CT are really nice. Didn't Sparks do really bad in some recent 450R pipe shoot out? They can't even keep manage to update their website. Don't be too brand loyal when you're forking over your hard earned cash for a product, unless mom or dad is paying then go for it. I'd go with HMF , great pipe, great quality, good customer support and I don't know anyone who has not been happy with one.

speedracer350X
03-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Good point. Guess their are a lot of other pipes to choose from out their. I'm always the last to modify my stuff anyways. Sparks pipes are a little on the salty side it seems. "Course, the older I get in life, the more true the saying is "you get what you pay for. " Then again, of course every company sells the "best performace parts" available. Live and learn sometimes. Appreciate the advice and experiences with these pipes. Thanks!!!

cals400ex
03-13-2005, 01:26 PM
yeah, i will add to my previous post too. if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't buy sparks. i havne't had a problem with my stainless x-6 at all but you can clearly tell when you have the hmf and the sparks in your hand which one is made stronger, and it isn't the sparks. however, it is lighter.