PDA

View Full Version : Is my 300's clutch dying?

Ben
05-07-2002, 02:28 PM
When I bought my 300 the clutch cable snapped when I was putting it in my truck. The guy had a spare 300ex cable and put it on. Now I have been studying for law exams since I had it so I haven't had much time to look at it. But when I ride it it slips. The adjuster on the handle bars is all the way out and it has a little play in the clutch handle. I haven't messed with the adjuster on the engine because it is hard to get to and I haven't had a chance yet. I've never had a quad clutch go so I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible that the cable is not adjusted correctly on the engine bracket and this is causing it to slip?

2. Is it possible that the wrong cable was used and this is causing it to slip?

3. Is it likely that I need to buy a new clutch? How much is this going to cost me?

Ben
05-07-2002, 05:03 PM
I know someone has a thought on this. I would really appreciate some opinions.

NJ300ex
05-07-2002, 05:14 PM
Several people have had this problem on the site before. Most adjusted there clutch by the engine and it was fine afterwards. Others did this and it was still messed up so they replaced the clutch. I would say adjust it by the engine and go from there.

dirtclog
05-07-2002, 05:14 PM
whew, you should have bought mine............

I would go with incorrect clutch adjustment...maybe wrong cable. Buy a new one so you know for sure it is correct one. If still slips then I'd go with worn clutch.

now $3600

05-07-2002, 06:57 PM
It sounds like the clutch is gone.