PDA

View Full Version : Battery and stator question

400racer1412
03-09-2005, 04:25 PM
if i am running 2, 50 watt lights wile i am ridding will it run out the battery? cause i iam pretty shure that when you are ridding you are charging your battery or somthing like that.

wilkin250r
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM
You've got a few different things happening while you're running lights on a system with a battery.

First off, your stator is 100W, but that doesn't mean you can use all 100W for your lighting. You still need power to run your tail-light, plus account for any losses in the system. A good rule of thumb is about 75-80% of your total power can be used for lights.

Now, with using 100W for your lights, you've got a few different things going on, and it's kind of a complicated interaction. You're lights may be overloading the stator, and if your battery is fully charged, it will supply the extra power the lights are pulling, which will drain the battery. This won't necessarily kill the battery, but if the battery drains too far, it can't supply the extra power needed any more. Now, your stator is trying to supply all the power the lights need, PLUS trying to recharge the battery. This will cause the stator to heat up. Too much too long, and you'll fry the stator, and end up with an expensive repair.

For a short period of time, you'll most likely be fine. But I really can't give you an exact figure on how long you can run like that before you do serious damage.