PDA

View Full Version : steel ramp

mach5racing4
03-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Where's a good place to buy the steel to build a steel ramp, i have access to a welder and plenty of room for the ramp but i cant find steel at a good price. one place was charging like $8 a foot for 1"x1" steel, im in mass. let me know thanks

Juggalo
03-09-2005, 10:35 AM
steel prices are really high right now

hondaracer305
03-09-2005, 05:32 PM
If your looking for some 1x1 tubing, go to lowes, they have a 6 ft piece for like $8 here. but yes steel is very expensive because they are building a damn in china so alot of the supplies go there. :mad:

mach5racing4
03-09-2005, 05:36 PM
sweet i will check out lowes, also i am checking a couple of scrap yards.

JUSTINcredible
03-09-2005, 06:19 PM
dam chinese

hondaracer305
03-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
dam chinese

werd :tired:

Juggalo
03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
btw to make a ramp your going to want 2x2 and not 1x1. 1x1 isnt going to be strong enough.

mach5racing4
03-09-2005, 08:08 PM
what does everyone that builds them use? 2x2 square tubing?

Jason1
03-09-2005, 08:53 PM
for gods sake dont go to lowes... thats like sending Noah down to the corner bait and tackle store to get supplies to build the ark

8 bucks a foot.??!? steel is high but thats crazy !! what gauge, was that solid square bar ?

the reason 2x2 is used is because its pretty much the perfect size to build a ramp. depending on what thickness and bracing and so forth of course id say 1 1/2 to 2x2 is the way to go. weather or not your building a quad, 50, bike, or sled ramp makes a difference too.

there is no right or wrong way... but unless your using massive massive massive bracing and your using thick material construction an entire ramp out of 1x1 is the wrong direction to go. would be like making it from wire.

hondaracer305
03-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Jason1
for gods sake dont go to lowes... thats like sending Noah down to the corner bait and tackle store to get supplies to build the ark

8 bucks a foot.??!? steel is high but thats crazy !! what gauge, was that solid square bar ?

the reason 2x2 is used is because its pretty much the perfect size to build a ramp. depending on what thickness and bracing and so forth of course id say 1 1/2 to 2x2 is the way to go. weather or not your building a quad, 50, bike, or sled ramp makes a difference too.

there is no right or wrong way... but unless your using massive massive massive bracing and your using thick material construction an entire ramp out of 1x1 is the wrong direction to go. would be like making it from wire.

LOFL, i didnt think he was talking about a huge ramp, ours is made from 1x1 tubing and is very strong, but (yes your right) at the bottom where all the weight is, its bending a little, i think bracing right at the bottom where the tires hit would keep it from doing that, but i know you know a hell of a lot more than i do about welding ramps. 1x1 was way easier to get my hands on than 2x2 so thats what i used, and i didnt want it to be that heavy since i have to manually lift it off the trailer when i take it places.

mach5racing4
03-10-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm building it for quads and sleds. I will try to get some 2x2. the 1x1 was normal tubing not solid.

Jason1
03-10-2005, 10:57 AM
yeah like i said you could use 1x1 but it all depends on thickness and bracing and of course durability... i mean is it just a temp ramp to last a show or you planning on hitting it for ever ? things like that are a huge factor. a ramp should never never bend, that is a huge red flag its not strong enough.

for instance, using 11 gauge 1x1 to build a 50 ramp is perfectly acceptable. i mean its all in what you want like i said, you could make a ramp out of twigs in the woods and elmers glue if you wanted to and it would work..........but for how long. its just those kinds of things you have to think about.

if given the challenge, if i could use nothing but 1x1 14 gauge i could definately make a very strong ramp. it would be a pile of work cuz thew thing would be nothing but a spider web of braces.

but main point....just general rule of thumb, for full sized machine ramps 1x1 is not the way to go at all. you need something stronger for the main framed pieces.

the tall upright in the back and the bottom rails need the most strength. after that the side rails... then upright supports... then the cross braces. then the x bracing. thats the order of strength break down. deckings' a whole nothing issue.

mach5racing4
03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
cool, thanks for the info, i want it to be strong and last forever, so i will probably go with 2x2

Juggalo
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
we can build you one if you want

Jason1
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
hes from MASS, so if hes gonna do that may as well get it from me in PA

mach5racing4
03-10-2005, 08:32 PM
i e-mailed alloy industries and got a good price, i am just seeing if i can get a friend or 2 to go in on it cause i dont have the money to spend on it myself.

Juggalo
03-11-2005, 03:45 AM
jason is a great ramp builder and hes right youd prob be better off buying from him...

Rootar
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
get it from jason if you can be alot less of a headache but if you do build it get 2x2 14 guage its what i have for mine and jason we are getting closer to getting mine finished (gotta finsh the curve and and then finsh welding it up and put the surface on it but the base frame is done when its completely done ill post pics for everyone but i dont want to till its done then ill post the pics ive taken of it over time, dont know exactly when ill get it done and i know everyone hates waiting on progress pics so im gonna do it all at once when its COMPLETELY done and sitting out in the pasture.

btw if your going to build it let jason tell you how and dont argue with him jsut do exactly what he says and be sure and write it all down too i know my ramp wouldnt be going as smoothly as it has been if it werent for jason

Jason1
03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
thanks lads

TRUTH
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Who is Jason and how do you contact him? I REALLY want to build or buy a ramp to hit this summer with quads and wood chip for sleds, but I don't know ANYTHING about ramps. Frank.

Rootar
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
hey dude thats jason rite above your post you can pm him or go to his website and contact him on here in his forums

TRUTH
03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
Haahah, sweet man! Thanks! Frank.