PDA

View Full Version : 400EX head gasket.....HELP????

shamisc
03-09-2005, 01:35 AM
We are in the process of building my 440 back and we've run into a couple snags. First off, we got the entire engine together and were torquing the head cover bolts and the bolt on the front right pull out the threads but would not come out. So, we had to cut the head off the bolt, remove everything down to the cylinder and heli-coil it. Got it back together, and low and behold, a couple of rags were covering up the timing chain tensioner on the bench. It's the one that slides in!:mad: Now we have to tear into it one more time. My Question is, is my head gasket going to be OK since it's been torqued down twice, or do I need a new one??? PLEASE RESPOND WITH HELP ASAP!!! If it matters, I'm running Sparks 12.5:1 JE 440 and gasket with GT thunder HD headstuds.

RAPTORAZ
03-09-2005, 05:37 AM
Since it hasn't been run yet, I'd reuse it.

shamisc
03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm just worried about it b/c of the compression I'm running. I might order a new and just try this one out to boot.

MIKE400EX
03-09-2005, 11:20 AM
So long as you didn't heat it up/run it, the gasket should be fine.

K_Fulk
03-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I had to tear mine apart a couple times before i started it last summer and didnt have any problems. Cometic paper gasket 12.5:1 piston.

drunken master
03-09-2005, 06:54 PM
What I'd be worried about are the cylinder studs streching when you torque them down multiple times. This will lead to a blown head gasket.
:chinese:

shamisc
03-10-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by drunken master
What I'd be worried about are the cylinder studs streching when you torque them down multiple times. This will lead to a blown head gasket.
:chinese:

I have GT Thunder HD studs.;)