PDA

View Full Version : Cams

CrEaTiVeKiD18
03-08-2005, 09:27 PM
What does the so called cams do that i hear everyone talking about how much hp do i gain and how much are they and whats the best and can i install them myself? i have a stock engine can i still do it?? thanks for answering my stupid questions

beak7707
03-08-2005, 10:20 PM
The cam is what opens the valves. By putting a different cam in you can change power curves and just increase power. Some cams are for top end other for low end. They just have more duration and larger lobes than the stocker. That means the valves stay open longer or open farther, allowing more air/fuel into the engine ect.. there is more to it than that but thats the main deal with them. As for HP gains, they work much better with a built motor. You would gain more ponies from buying an exhaust over a cam. But once you get your exhaust then the came would be a benefit. High comp pistons also help the cam work more. In other words I think you should get an exhaust and other mods before you would want a cam. And as for you installing it, if you know your way around the motor and have a honda book its nothing. But you need to know whats going on and how to set the timing ect..

CrEaTiVeKiD18
03-09-2005, 07:19 AM
thanks!!!!! thats cool im about to get a full HMF sysytem anywayz ive heard there really good if i get that which kinda cam would be good i ride trials and im about to start getting into a few hare scrambles and i ride my local mx track too