PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out 400EX

Red29Rider
03-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Alright im new to this site, so i might as well introduce myself, the names Nick im 16 from a small town near Johnstown PA and pretty much the only thing to do around it is ride. I just got a 2001 400EX yesterday, from my stepdad's workbuddy, the guy only road it four times, the only thing wrong with it was that it had a plug in the right rear tire, other than that looks like it just came out of the dealership. Payed 2,500 for it at pretty much mint condition so that was pretty much a steal. The quad is bone stock, shiny yellow only thing thats on it that didnt come from the factory is 3 years-expired registration sticker. anyways I previously owned a 320EX which nickeled and dimed me to death with mainly rear end and electrical problems, so i finally decided to give up on it, sell it and get somethin that can take more of a beating...now as i said before the quads bone stock, so can anybody make any good suggestions for first modifications to make to the quad, and im not talking like 4,000 dollar motor rebuild jobs mind you im a high school student with a minimum wage job during the school year, and the only other source of money i have is my old Honda 100XR that im goin to probably try to pawn off for some extra cash...so what would be the best things to do first that are fairly economical for power and performance, pipes, filters, etc???

400EX QUADER
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Welcome, A k&n air filter, hmf pipe,outerwear,jets,and a cam.

Red29Rider
03-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I still have my K&N from my 300 would that work ok? that would be a quick 10 second change if it would. Any parts that can be rigged off DVX 400's cuz my grandpap owns an arctic cat dealership....lol i prefer hondas though still ;) (i get discounts on parts through parts unlimited :) )

400EX QUADER
03-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Get ur self some dvx shocks.;) Just try to see if it will go on the airbox and if the filter fits then it fits.

Rootar
03-09-2005, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by 400EX QUADER
Get ur self some dvx shocks.;) Just try to see if it will go on the airbox and if the filter fits then it fits.

he is kidding about the schocks (arent you) yea get a uni or k&n filter HMF has great pipes cheap your stock head pipe for torqe get it jetted right

400EX QUADER
03-09-2005, 08:50 AM
yes I was kidding. I can't really think of much that will fit the 400ex.

FF1O5
03-09-2005, 01:00 PM
so sell the dirtbike and buy this stuff:
(from prior exprience on a budget)
-HMF Slip-on/around $209
-Hotcam stage 1 or 2(same price,around $150,depends wich one you want)-OR- cam from an XR400(ebay)
-Air filter(Twin air,Uni,K&N,whatever you want)around $35
-Sparks degree key/around $30
-Some good rear tires/around $60 a piece-$120
-you can cut the fender for looks,free
-air scoops look real good and cool the motor/around $60
-remove choke from carb(free),42 pilot jet,rejet carb/around $30
-Some nice bars/grip,easy pull clutch,park brake block off and kill switch/around $200

thants only around $800 and a great start for an all around good bike.

Red29Rider
03-09-2005, 05:40 PM
alright thanks still open to any more suggestions too (not cutting any fenders i like the stock plastic, chopped the plastic on my 300 and it throws mud on you pretty bad, on the rare occasion that my 300 doesnt have axle brakes or electrical problems :mad: ) by the way, while im at it anyone have a rough idea on the top speed of a stock 400? also anybody notice any power differences when riding it in the cold (it felt a lil weaker today and its like 14 degrees out)...thanks guys for all the help :D