PDA

View Full Version : Porting head pipe????

enduro400rider
03-08-2005, 07:14 PM
i have seen some things saying to port your head pipe what do they mean by this i have heard of porting you head but not your head pipe what do you have to do and what kind of power gains would you get it would be on a yoshi head pipe if it makes a difference thanks

FoxRacing81
03-08-2005, 07:17 PM
I have never heard of anyone porting a head pipe but porting is making bigger so maybe there making there head pipe bigger?

I don't know, never heard of that.

-Mx

Toadz400
03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
They are probably talking about grinding off the welds on the inside of the headpipe. This increases flow, but not by much.

blue416ex
03-08-2005, 08:04 PM
my friend asked me to clean up the inside of his stock z400 header and it was a small almost unnoticable power gain i would imagine putting a smotth swirl pattern in the header may have an effect of pulling the exhaust away from the head like rifling a carburetor but no great power gains it was alot of work for nothing in my opinion:rolleyes:

duke416ex
03-09-2005, 07:29 AM
I ported my head pipe, it is just taking a dremel and smoothing down the welds on the inside of the pipe where it connects to the motor, you will see a small(small) change in power curve. I did this for two resons. One was to save money, the other was because when I got to asking around at the local tracks, all the pro riders recommended it. They said it allowed you to keep the bottom end power that you lose a lot of times with aftermarket pipes. Almost all of them were running stock headers.