PDA

View Full Version : Taking out my 400ex motor for rebuild-cant get out the swingarm bolt?

SnotMe80
03-08-2005, 06:19 PM
i am removing my 400ex motor for a rebuild and i can not get the swingarm bolt to budge. i got the nut off but it will not budge after that. any help or tips would be great.
thanks
Rob

hondardr4life
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Well, as my one friend who lacks a little up top always says when I'm workin on mine, HIT IT WITH A HAMMER. Sometimes it actually works. But can't you rebuild a 400 motor while its in the frame? I know you can do a 300 motor in the frame.

hardbodyt
03-08-2005, 06:40 PM
I had the same problem I had to cut it out with a sawzay and a dremel. It took a long time but it was bent inside use a sharp blade and dont cut the frame or hit the cases.

tj_escott
03-08-2005, 07:11 PM
I had the same problem with mine. A local dealer said my bolt was the hardest bolt he ever had to tackle he tried heat, hammer, air impact chisel gun with a modifided tool. We finally got it out, but it took a 20 ton press and 3 men. If you use a press make sure you brace the frame up. Good luck.

tj_escott
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Forgot to say you can rebuild the top end, inside the frame I have done it many of times.

Punk'd
03-08-2005, 09:02 PM
could it be bent?:confused:

duke416ex
03-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Yea like tj said, it is not that hard to rebuild it in the frame, it more than likely isn't bent, it just gets corroded and stuck in the swingarm bearings. I used a torch, I know aceteline doesn't cut alum, but it got it hot enough to melt it, you just have to cover everything up and be careful what you get close to. You might as well get ready to order one, the cheapest I found was planet honda, nut and bolt was like $23, you wil more than likely need a bearing kit too, they're like 35.

JDiablo
03-09-2005, 05:15 PM
ha that sux,most likely it is probably seized up,in some cases i have heard of a plasma cutter being pulled up,next time when you install your new bolt put some of that silver anti-seize stuff on and it and maybe some grease too if you can mix the two,then you shouldnt have a problem again