PDA

View Full Version : TRX450r shocks on a 400ex

marty
03-08-2005, 04:51 PM
If you want to put r shocks on an ex you will have to grind a little off the rear of the mounts on your quad, and a little off the top of the shocks. The rear part of the mounts hang down just a little bit lower than the front, and hits the shocks. The nut that is welded inside the top of the shock mount to bolt the fenders to just touches the shocks. I only had to file a small flat spot on the shock to clear the fender bolt, and I ground the rear of the upper shock mounts to look like the fronts. It was very simple.

The r shocks are 1/2 inch longer and much thicker than the stock ex shocks.

nosliw
03-08-2005, 06:57 PM
how are they?

marty
03-09-2005, 08:34 AM
I have not had a chance to set them up. I went for a short blast, and jumped on the bumper, and there is a HUGE diffrence. They control the quad better than I thought they could. Im a 99% trail rider and I'll end up with a very soft setting, but MX riders should like these shocks too. I can't wate to pound some of the rutted out trailes I ride. I'll give a better opinion once I get some time on them.

marty
04-03-2005, 11:32 AM
I have some time on the new shocks. I also put a nonrebuildable PEP stearing damper and Bear Claws, 22"rear and 23" front at the same time, so comparisons are not exact.
The springs may be a little stiff, and the quad sits almost at the top of the shocks travel. The quad seems to rest 2" or less from the top. The preload is backed all the way off.
The adjustments seem a little sensitive and I have them set about 1 to 1.2 turns from full soft. It did not take long to get them where I liked them.
The front of my quad in now planted firmly on the ground. There is no bouncing or anything. The front tires follow the ground very well. I can take woops faster and with less effort than before. With the stock shocks letting off the throttle on a woopy trail was a very bad idea. The quad got all bouncy and would try to eject me. I am very happy to say I can decelerate over woops and keep control. I have only jumped a few times ant nothing even close to big, but the quad leaves the ground more consistantly and I seem to beable to control the way I leave the jump a litte better than before. The quad lands like a fluffy bag of sand. It lands softly beacous I set my shocks as soft as I can for fast woops. landings seem much less bouncing than before. I give the creidt for this to the tires. I like them alot. But thats a nother post.
The only thing Im not compleatly happy with is the spring rate is stiffer than I would like, If you hit big jumps the rate is probably good and these shocks seem like thay can be set very stiff if you want.
I had talked to several places but no one wants to sell me springs. I liked GT thunder had to say, and if I understood them when they rebuild 450r skocks they shorten the body(great for the ex), and give the shocks more travel. Plus the multy rate springs. Even with out being rebuilt these shocks should improve any guad you put them on.