PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Problem

JOEX
03-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I can't get Windows XP to load, it was working fine up to today, I was actually just getting used to XP. It will boot to the black XP screen then a blue screen with some text at the top will appear for about a half a second then the screen goes black then to a screen with an apology about Windows not loading properly and options of restarting in safe, normal and other modes. None of them work, it keeps doing the same thing.

What do I need to do or check?

FastHonda400ex
03-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Joex,

Did you upgrade any hardware or install any other software right before having the XP problem? If so, it's most likely whatever configuration got changed. If not, then you might reset the BIOS by unplugging the electrical cord from the outlet and removing the CMOS battery off of the motherboard. Wait for a couple minutes and then reinstall the battery, put it back together, replug the electrical cord back in, and then start the computer. Let me know what you find out.

JOEX
03-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I have two hard drives and have been switching between them for the last couple of months or so with no problem. Could this problem suddenly develop because of this? I run them completely seperatly, not as master and slave. Actually there was a time that the configuation got mixed up and had to change something in the BIOS. now if I can remember how I did that :p

I haven't done any other software or hardware changes since this new HD and OS.

Where do I find the CMOS battery? I suppose I could look in the manual:p

batgeek
03-07-2005, 10:58 PM
i smell a driver malfunction.

you can go into safe mode and either diable or use generic drivers for stuff like your vid card, sound card, etc... and see if you can straight boot after doing those.

when you do find the problem, all you have to do is reinstall the offending driver.

hopefully the offending drivers aren't for any on-board components.

also, lets hope it wasn't a hiccup in your registry files, cuz that would be a ***** to fix.

you can look at these in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\servicename\ErrorControl

If the value is 0x0 (Ignore, no error is reported), do not display a warning and proceed with startup.

If the value is 0x1 (Normal, error reported), record the event to the System Event Log and display a warning message, but proceed with startup.

If the value is 0x2 (Severe), record the event to the System Event Log, use the LastKnownGood settings, restart the system, and proceed with startup.

If the value is 0x3 (Critical), record the event to the System Event Log, use the LastKnownGood settings, and restart the system. If the LastKnownGood settings are already in use, display a Stop message.

batgeek
03-07-2005, 10:59 PM
yer CMOS battery shouldn't be had to find. it looks like a flat silver disk about the size of a quarter.

should be somewhere on yer motherboard, all mfgs put them in different places on teh mobo.

JOEX
03-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Long time no see batgeek:)

It wont boot in safe mode, at least not though the 'apology' screen:rolleyes:

JOEX
03-07-2005, 11:11 PM
The registry is out of my league, I have no clue what to do there:ermm:

YZ400EX
03-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I just had the exact same problem on Friday..Called tech support and it was determined my Hard Drive went bad..got my new one today and am back up and running..I did reformat the old harddrive and it worked fine, but I lost everything..Try reinstalling windows..aslo when you place the OS disk in restart the comp and boot from cd..then choose install windows and do a repair..this may fix the problem..it didnt for me, but its there for something..give it a try

JOEX
03-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Bad HD? Not what I wanted to hear!:mad: :p

Thanks for the info, i'll try a reinstall if the other options don't work. This HD was new a couple of months ago:(

batgeek
03-07-2005, 11:30 PM
watch them XP repairs, i just spent a whole day yesterday fixing a neighbor's computer that he did the XP repair thing to :D

this is why i always advocate partitioning your hardrive and installing Windows on one and using the other for everything else.

if XP craps out on ya, all ya have to do is slick that one partition with XP, and reload. all your pics and important stuff is still on your second partition.

JOEX
03-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
watch them XP repairs, i just spent a whole day yesterday fixing a neighbor's computer that he did the XP repair thing to :D

this is why i always advocate partitioning your hardrive and installing Windows on one and using the other for everything else.

if XP craps out on ya, all ya have to do is slick that one partition with XP, and reload. all your pics and important stuff is still on your second partition.
I was thinking about partitioning but I dont know much about it.

I don't understand the last part of your post, what OS is on the second partition? Does all data automatically go to both partitions?