PDA

View Full Version : 2004 stock 400 ex help

wood4you
03-07-2005, 07:29 PM
I did a search and all I got was jetting with diff pipes....

I have a brand new bike and it seems that its to lean stock at sea level...

I put a 150 main in it and it was better but still im clueless about 400's maybe bump the pilot up one too??

Also if you can is there any free mods like pull the cork air box lid etc and what kinda jetting to do with those??

Thanks

nosliw
03-07-2005, 07:50 PM
what made you think it was lean stock? getting really hot or something?

wood4you
03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
it was hot ...no power from bottom to mid , and the fins on the head near the exhaust started to turn gold...

Also thanks for answering my question with a question...

please is this a normal thing anyone put a larger jet in a stock bike...to make it run better gain bottom end ??

nosliw
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by wood4you

Also thanks for answering my question with a question...

just trying to get more info out of you to help diagnose the problem dip****

now, i have heard of people swapping to larger jets on a stock bike. why dont you try letting the fuel screw out a little, if that doesnt work then bump the needle up a notch.

wood4you
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
just trying to get more info out of you to help diagnose the problem dip****

now, i have heard of people swapping to larger jets on a stock bike. why dont you try letting the fuel screw out a little, if that doesnt work then bump the needle up a notch.

I must have misunderstood you ...I thought you had read the post about it being to lean, a condition that makes it hot/lose power....my bad sorry to confuse you you you poopy head :D only reason I say that is no hard feelings for calling peeps names ....

so open the fuel screw abit...ok thats somtihng to try next time im out

how about those free mods or any other ideas

nosliw
03-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I must have misunderstood you ...I thought you had read the post about it being to lean, a condition that makes it hot/lose power....my bad sorry to confuse you you you poopy head

so your being a smart *** now? i know what a lean mixture does to a gas engine. if your losing power from bottom to mid why would you address the main jet? i would first adjust at the fuel screw(maybe bump to a 42 pilot) and then tinker with the needle jet settings.

nosliw
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
free mods..... remove the choke, grind out headpipe welds, remove airbox lid and rejet for that. probably more that im forgetting, but those are the main ones.

wood4you
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
is there a core I can take out of the silencer like in the yfz, raptor,450r??

nosliw
03-07-2005, 08:47 PM
yea, but it just makes it louder. performance gains are so minimal i dont think it would be worth not having a spark arrestor

wood4you
03-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
so your being a smart *** now? i know what a lean mixture does to a gas engine. if your losing power from bottom to mid why would you address the main jet? i would first adjust at the fuel screw(maybe bump to a 42 pilot) and then tinker with the needle jet settings.

Look I dont wanna fight with you or any one....I was making fun of our posts, ( it will make good read for some one). And if I remember right the main jet is still being used at the mid to top level....I wanted to get the machine to run cooler all around..

see some bike are lean from the factory, cr 250, yfz 450 etc.

I just wanted to know if this was the case with the 400 ex.....

nosliw
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
And if I remember right the main jet is still being used at the mid to top level....I wanted to get the machine to run cooler all around..

about 3/4-wot

i think i read that they come a little lean because of emissions, but i'm not sure about that. wouldnt surprise me, it IS honda afterall.....:rolleyes: