PDA

View Full Version : pulling a V-Nose trailer

mwmg416
03-07-2005, 06:05 PM
I was wanting to know if a vnose pulls beter than a flat nose.
some one told me that in a head wind it would pull the truck all over the place , but I have a 8.5x20 flat nose that pulls pretty bad in a wind. also does a vnose help alot on MPG?

mwmg416
03-07-2005, 06:46 PM
anybody?

4punksdad
03-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mwmg416
I was wanting to know if a vnose pulls beter than a flat nose.
some one told me that in a head wind it would pull the truck all over the place , but I have a 8.5x20 flat nose that pulls pretty bad in a wind. also does a vnose help alot on MPG?

all enclosed trailers catch wind. Most of the problem is side wind or cross wind. Enclosed trailers pull better with a good balanced load.........and tandem axles pull better than single axles. The main reason for a v nose is not wind resistance, but pull through loading ability for vehicles with no reverse.

mwmg416
03-07-2005, 07:11 PM
most of the vnose trailers I see in the midsouth are not pull through models. they have a small V which looks like it would have less wind resistance than a flat nose. I was just looking to see if anyone had experience pulling both kind.

4punksdad
03-07-2005, 07:22 PM
most of the vnose trailers I see in the midsouth are not pull through models. they have a small V which looks like it would have less wind resistance than a flat nose. I was just looking to see if anyone had experience pulling both kind.

I wouldn't spend the extra money if it didn't have a second door for pull through ability. I have pulled all kinds of trailers. Each has its own "personality" and each tow vehicle adds to the variables.

mwmg416
03-07-2005, 07:28 PM
is that your trailer in the photo? if so what do you pull it with? I have a 2004 f250 psd 4x4

Punk'd
03-07-2005, 08:49 PM
V nose is better it is more aero dinamic or w/e

roostin_dale
03-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
I wouldn't spend the extra money if it didn't have a second door for pull through ability. I have pulled all kinds of trailers. Each has its own "personality" and each tow vehicle adds to the variables.

Well where we bought our V-nose, the trailer was the same price for V-nose or flat nose. V-nose trailers are good for storage up front (if you dont have a door). Plus I think they look cool...lol.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/p8ee191ec714a2de317ecd87b6414d1d4/f4e664a6.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/pf301e951a3974045d697888368d26eaa/f4e664ae.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid160/peb4cc53308d05b837b3dc73173ec9b40/f4e664a9.jpg

4punksdad
03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
is that your trailer in the photo? if so what do you pull it with? I have a 2004 f250 psd 4x4

I have pulled it with a few vehicles............ford f-350 dually v-10, ford excursion v-10, and a dodge 250 van with a 318. All performed well. My trailer is a blizzard snowmobile trailer. 8' wide interior for side by side loading. It is also all aluminum. @ 25' it only weighs about 2500 LBS empty. Empty it is subject to blow around on the road during high winds..............loaded it trails like a dream.

popo
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Instead of buying a new trailer to help bust the wind.

Try looking at www.nosecone.com much better.

mwmg416
03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
already looked at nosecone. cost $650 plus shipping for my trailer

jacobw
03-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
I have pulled it with a few vehicles............ford f-350 dually v-10, ford excursion v-10, and a dodge 250 van with a 318. All performed well. My trailer is a blizzard snowmobile trailer. 8' wide interior for side by side loading. It is also all aluminum. @ 25' it only weighs about 2500 LBS empty. Empty it is subject to blow around on the road during high winds..............loaded it trails like a dream.

4punks how id your dodge van pull your trailer we have a 1ton one with and 318 and I wonder how well it will pull and enclosed trailer?

wilkin250r
03-11-2005, 03:00 PM
All of my educational background in physics tell me that the V-nose will have better wind resistance, but I doubt it will make a dramatic improvement in gas milage. If you're looking at 10mpg pulling a flat-nose, I bet you wouldn't see over 11mpg pulling a V-nose.

Also, in a cross-wind, the v-nose really doesn't have significantly larger surface area for the wind to hit. And the V-area that the wind DOES hit is at the very front of the trailer, which will have the LEAST impact. I would bet you couldn't tell any difference between a v-nose or a flat-nose in a crosswind.

To me, the v-nose has two distinct advantages. In most models I have seen that are offered in both flat and v-nose, the length of the trailer from tongue to rear is exactly the same, so the v-nose adds a few extra square feet of storage space. Or, with models that have a front ramp, it allows for drive-through ability.

Unless the cost is outrageous, if given the choice I would take a v-nose over a flat-nose any day.

MOFO
03-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
All of my educational background in physics tell me that the V-nose will have better wind resistance, but I doubt it will make a dramatic improvement in gas milage. If you're looking at 10mpg pulling a flat-nose, I bet you wouldn't see over 11mpg pulling a V-nose.

Also, in a cross-wind, the v-nose really doesn't have significantly larger surface area for the wind to hit. And the V-area that the wind DOES hit is at the very front of the trailer, which will have the LEAST impact. I would bet you couldn't tell any difference between a v-nose or a flat-nose in a crosswind.

To me, the v-nose has two distinct advantages. In most models I have seen that are offered in both flat and v-nose, the length of the trailer from tongue to rear is exactly the same, so the v-nose adds a few extra square feet of storage space. Or, with models that have a front ramp, it allows for drive-through ability.

Unless the cost is outrageous, if given the choice I would take a v-nose over a flat-nose any day.

I agree with you. I do not see how a V-nose would NOT cut down on wind resistance vs a flat nose when pulling.

4punksdad
03-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by jacobw
4punks how id your dodge van pull your trailer we have a 1ton one with and 318 and I wonder how well it will pull and enclosed trailer?

It pulled it fine. The only thing I disliked was the fact that the spare tire was mounted on the rear door of the van which caused dificulties when hooking and unhooking the trailer due to close clearance. I wouldn't want a 318 if towing long distances..................but my 45 minute trips were no problem.

jacobw
03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
4punks I made a mistake out 1 ton dodge van has a 360 I dont know if that will make much of a difference

popo
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I agree with you. I do not see how a V-nose would NOT cut down on wind resistance vs a flat nose when pulling.

True.

http://www.nosecone.com/images/table.jpg

jja125
03-14-2005, 03:10 PM
what would be a good tow vehicle to get?? i just got back from georgia and got 8mpg the whole way with my dodge dakota. i don't think i can stand it anymore and was looking at new full size trucks today, but i don't really know which ones are good/bad, etc. and don't say one of those big international rigs they are selling now - i'll only get one of those when i win the powerball. i want a crew cab, full size truck. i like the f250 superduty deisels but somebody today just told me that motor is horrible??

Warnerade
03-14-2005, 07:41 PM
my friend has pulled a flat and a v-nose with an expedition...he said he got better gas mileage..

im getting one in the middle of april..ill let you know then if this post is still up, wich i doubt it

jja125
03-15-2005, 09:10 AM
i have a little 12' v-nose. it was the same price as the flat nose. it seems to haul better than a flat nose if you have it loaded right. the only thing i don't like is on mine the v part goes up really close to the end of the hitch which seems to make it harder to maneuver in close quarters. most other v-noses i've seen don't seem to come up as close to the hitch point as mine so they might be better. but it does seem to cut down on head wind resistance when you are towing with a smaller vehicle.