PDA

View Full Version : Best exhaust pipe for the dunes????

New-400ex_guy
05-06-2002, 10:11 PM
need a pipe that is quiet for the dunes. which is the best one??

i hear the fmf quietcore is good, but are there any others, that are preferablly less money?? is the HMF with quiet core quiet enough for the dunes??

thanks

out4sand
05-07-2002, 08:22 PM
Depending where you are going to ride most aftermarket pipes aren't going to make the noise limits for the dunes. If you ride in Oregon, Sand Lake has a 97db limit but Coos Bay & Florence have a 93db limit. They will let you off if you are within 2db of the limit but 95db is still pretty tuff to do with most open ended 4 stroke pipes. I have a Mega Max II on our 400ex and had it tested once at Sand Lake by the sand patrol, a courtesy check, and it hit was 94db I think but that was with new packing and before I did any motor work so who knows what it would hit now. If you are really concerned about the noise levels I would go with some sort of disc style pipe like the Mega Max or WB e-series, they seem to put out less of a bark.

www.out4sand.com

twisted threads
05-08-2002, 04:36 AM
I had the Wb and I don't think it will pass either. I now have the yoshi full system and It is lot Quieter than my Wb. You can also get the T.E.C. end caps for the yoshi that will make it even more Quiet.

rc3
05-08-2002, 08:11 PM
I have white brothers, and a quiet core and I can make it legal by using the quiet core and about 7 discs, but to tell you the truth it makes your bike pretty much the same as the stock pipe. A lot of the systems that take a quiet core are gonna do the same! Wb is a great pipe to have with 12 discs and no quiet core but it is loud

OutlawEX
05-12-2002, 12:16 AM
just take off ur header and it makes it run good

No im just joking dont get a Big gun

Chef
05-12-2002, 04:28 PM
Big Guns are said to be the best pipe out right now...well atleast thats what TERRY MARCUM said...It seems to work fine on my bike....

400exRacerX
05-19-2002, 03:19 PM
LOL Terry Marcum......All the Big Guns I've seen have fallen apart, if you want a good exhuast system get a LRD,,, you wont regret it.

chad400ex
05-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Well, as far as quiet pipes go, I think the yoshi is a good choice. Everyone I ride with that has a piped 4-stroke thinks mine is pretty quiet. I have the T.E.C. endcaps and they really work. (a good $40 investment). For riding at Sand Lake I am fine without the endcap inserts, but for the Oregon Dunes, you can put the smallest cap in and run until you're past the noise check guys. After that, swap in the normal spark arrestor screen (which takes less than a minute) and you're back to full airflow/full power. I'd like to get checked sometime just to see how loud it is, but I almost think it would pass without the inserts. (oh...and the inserts will fit inside the stock toolbox)

airheadedduner
05-31-2002, 04:29 PM
I saw a shootout in dirtwheels mag. They had the WB pipe at 92 or 93dbs and making just under a CT's pipes power. In my opinion it is better to call LRD or Sparks. Racing shops, while more expensive, ofer great service. Plus they can custom build you a setup that will be quiet and powerful. I am super happy with my LRD pipe on my R. They make an add on silencer which puts the R well under the leagal limit and adds 2 hp!!! Thanks for all you that run quiet exhaust and keep are dunes safe from bein taken away by environuts.