PDA

View Full Version : how to acquire a dirtbike title?

SnowFlake
03-07-2005, 04:57 PM
I have been looking around about how to make my 94 dr350(the dirt version) street legal however, i have one problem, NO TITLE!!!! the only thing i have is a peice of paper with signatures on it from the last guy and his reciept from the bike he got it at. i live in NJ and dmv sucks, so i was wondering if anyone had gone through this before that would be able to steer me in the right direction, any thoughts would be helpful. thanks.

03-07-2005, 06:22 PM
heres what your going to have to do and it will suck...drive to DMV and ask ;)

Hondadudeehhhh
03-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
heres what your going to have to do and it will suck...drive to DMV and ask ;)

DMV= saitan's *** hole

450 Racer R
03-07-2005, 06:42 PM
you don't get a title for dirtbikes/quads. just a certificate of ownership, a receipt from the dealer. you'll have to make it street legal with lights, turn signals, whatever. and go to dmv and get it registered.

SnowFlake
03-07-2005, 08:56 PM
will i still be able to register it without the original receipt, just have signed papers from the past two owners? by the way thanks for the fast responses!!!

honduh440
03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
only very few states dont have titles for quads and dirtbikes but most do. i dont know what to tell you about getting one

SnowFlake
03-07-2005, 10:12 PM
yeah i think i will take a trip to dmv:scary: and squeeze some info out of them......but thanks for the input guys.

03-08-2005, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by SnowFlake
yeah i think i will take a trip to dmv:scary: and squeeze some info out of them...... have fun and good luck

efilnicafesin
03-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by SnowFlake
yeah i think i will take a trip to dmv:scary: and squeeze some info out of them......but thanks for the input guys.

Post back when you find out the info.. I want to do the same thing, but have been too lazy. I have 2 quads and a sled with no title. Even in NJ with it registered and insured, it can't be impounded. If you don't have it registered and get caught on state land, they can impound...

SnowFlake
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
this is from the dmv website "if not titled or registered, a notarized statement from the last owner to the purchaser, describing the vehicle and sale price (accepted for non-titled motorcycles only) " So they basically want me to trace every owner since 1994 which i think is impossible. i am going to see if there are others ways to do this when i make it there or call.

SnowFlake
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
ok after calling dmv a couple of times (it is better to call them in the morning when they first open) i was finally told that even if my dirtbike was pyhiscally road legal i still cannot title it in NJ because the Certificate of Origin states that it is not for road use, if it didn't say this i could put it on the road, so i hope the crazy woman at dmv is correct. It also seems that if i titled my bike in other state i might be able to put it on the road in jersey but i don;t feel like doing all of that.

here is a link to the dmv website (http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/cit_registration/v_reg_motorcycle.html)

SnowFlake
03-17-2005, 07:54 AM
sorry efilnicafesin, almost forgot about ya, the link will answer your question about registering