PDA

View Full Version : death ride

hrc85250r
03-07-2005, 04:40 PM
hmmmmm, well i guess it was late august...a cold morning dew all over everything... i had my 85' 250r in the back of my buddies dodge and he had his slow-*** polaris 435 4-stroke on his trailer and we were headin out to south colton to start a 70 mile ride to a town called cranberry lake....so we got there and everything was cool, he had a 4 gallon tank of extra gas and i brought a 2 gallon container of premix for the R, we strapped them down to his racks, we brought cell phones and stuff incase while we were in the middle of nowhere...well, the way you get from colton to cranberry you have to guess-navigate you way through a bunching of hunting camp trails that only wheelers and snowmobiles can get to and eventually end up on huge 2-lane sized dirt/gravel logging trails that are basically empty in the summer and get busy in the fall....since this was late summer there was, naturally, noone around...we saw one guy working on his camp on these main "corridor" trails in the first half of the trip while we (I) were cranking around doing probly 70-ish average the whole time....it was awesome great day to ride, about 75-80 high temp outside and a few clouds to keep you from being blinded by sunlight....we would stop evry 15-20 mins and let our machines take a breather and we could get a drink....all was well and there was no vehicles or people in sight for about another 30 mins and we started getting closer to cranberry which is more or less just a snowmobile town which is dead when there is no snow...the the wide trails started getting a little windy and at this point all clear cutted logging areas are far behind us....all of a sudden i come up to a wide turn that i could do wide open 75 mph run through without my front tire sliding too much and 100 feet in front of me there is a HUGE peterbuilt with an empty logging trailer on the back taking the turn wide so he doesnt catch his rear trailer tires on the banks of the trail....so my heart stops and i slam the bike into as low a gear as i could get it in crank the brake on and lean way back to get the tires to grab....well let me tell you razrs cant stop you in 100 feet going 75! so there is no way out, the bike and i are to tall to get under the huge trailer and since he is taking the turn wide there is no way around him, so into the bank of the road i go...the banks themselves are about 3 1/2 to 4' tall from the bulldozers or whatever plowing the road through the woods, so i figured it was the best way to go....i crank right into them at an angle so i could rool over in this soft crap rather tha to jump it and fly into the trees.....i smack the bank at about 25-30 and i flips twince and i land under the wheeler and my tether didnt pull of so there it is running wide open on top of me my leg about 6" from the cranking rear wheels and god knows how close my legs are to the chain and sprockets....i yank the tether off subconciously and she stop in about 2 secs from oll the rotating mass of the tirs and stuff....i push it off of me and take a look at her...what did i do!!! pretty much nothing...thanks to my new on the fly clutch lever with the nylon mounting surface thing it just rotated and i just twisted it back, i ground the middle edge of plastic behind the seat into some rocks, but it isnt bad at all....i had a small bruise and big bump on my shin from the peg landing on it..thank god for drinking vitamin d milk all those years! and the the trucker gets out and asks me if im all right, i thought he would be snapping on me...i said yeah im good just hope the wheeler is, and it started right up first kick! i was a little shaken up at this point but i chilled out after a little ridin at half pace...well the rest of the ride went good until the way back...remember how i said "guess-navigate" well, i wasnt kidding....we got lost big time and couldnt get around some of the chains on some of the camps trails and we were like 10 miles from home!!! i was pissed and almost completely out of all of my gas including my extra 2 gals...i lift my 250r over one of the gaits and my frined cranks over some HUGE rocks with his polaris and we head out to the road...i decide i am going to dilute my gas with some of his as he still has about a gallon left of extra... BIG mistake...i am guessing i diluted it to probly...i know im an idiot 200:1 or something stupid like that....i didnt put much in there probly a 1/2 gallon or something, but my tank was almost dry....so i cranked it through colton to get to the start point which is about 5 miles from where i diluted....i had to crank so if i did run out i could coast back to the start....well i cranked going about 75 the whole 5 miles and she was running awesome....we got back packed up and headed out...got home and she started right up with fresh premix and i rode it into my garage and parked it fot the next day...i took her for a ride and was riding some smooth 4 th gear wheelies and all of a sudden she locked up solid! i got it back home and pulled her apart and with me crying like a baby the rod was locked onto the crank pin....so with the premix so lean the bearings heated up enough to turn the webs blue aorund the pin and fry the bearings soild while throwing pieces of bearing through the tansfers into the top/sides of the piston....800$ later shes good to go!

wow, i wrote too much, sorry guys..

AlbaKFX
03-07-2005, 05:24 PM
:eek2:

It would be much easier to read if you put some breakers in there to make different paragraphs, but I read it anyway. Tough luck... I knew something was coming when you said you added 1/2 gallon of pump gas to a nearly empty tank of a 2 stroke. Im surprised it didnt die on you going back home... you're lucky it did that when you were just messing around

03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
man long story to read but that blows big time

YFZ450Ridr
03-30-2005, 09:00 PM
15 minutes of my life is gone, j/k but that really sucks. my dad blew up his old bike, it was an 82 or so. that sounds like a fun ride except for the 'guess navigating' lol. did you end up fixing your R, she back up and running strong?