PDA

View Full Version : Today's ride.........a good one :)

4punksdad
09-09-2001, 06:23 PM
it starts off at around 10:00am at my place.........
friends show up with a 300EX and one on a 450ES, then 2 more guys (new found friends) show up with Warrior & Raptor. The guy on the Raptor has a helmet cam so we were pumped to ride. First ride out of the garage, and the helmet cam fails & never does capture any footage.

Next ride out, we bump into another group of riders. I know one of the guys but the rest are strangers. They are riding 250R, Banshee, 300EX, yellow 400EX, Warrior, and a Raptor. Now we have a total of 11 bikes tearing up the trail.

Only 2 crashes all day. Both were the raptor riders. One guy loops it on a small hill, and the other looses control inside a 72" diameter concrete storm sewer pipe we ride through. The first crash was the guy with the helmet cam (sure wish it had been working)

The second crash is one of the guys I don't know. He was in 4th gear inside this large pipe when he totally forgot about a 45 degree turn in the pipe. He ended up climbing the wall of the pipe to the point where his bike flipped leaving him under it. I didn't see it happen, and I didn't go back in the pipe yet, but they said his bike almost did a complete flip with him on it & leaving tire tracks near the ceiling of the pipe! He was pounded hard. He took a hard hit to the head & would have been seriously injured without a helmet. Bent the bars & broke the plastic cover on the bars. No other real bike damage. He was carried out by the other riders & was said to be unable to walk went he got a ride home. Hope he is ok.........I just knew that pipe was going to hurt someone sooner or later. When you crash inside a concrete pipe, there is nowhere to go.........just you, the bike & the concrete (you lose).

then we had a guy drown a 300EX & spent 2 hrs doing oil changes to try & get the water out.

a good time was had by almost everyone.

09-09-2001, 09:43 PM
I think that pipe needs a paint in the shape of an arrow or stop sign or something, could save someone a little pain someday.

dirtclog
09-10-2001, 04:41 PM
sounds like a pretty good time. I am still going to try and catch up with you to come riding sometime. I've been loaded down lately. This saturday going to ride with a few friends out at south pedler trail. I may just get with my 2 riding buddies here and see if ok to come up your way for a ride. I still haven't gotten a chance try out stafford, va yet..may try that one next...unless your place is better!

4punksdad
09-10-2001, 05:01 PM
stafford is cool too..........either way, we could have a good time. drop me an e-mail if you want to come visit.

4punksdad
09-16-2001, 05:32 PM
I went back to the pipe today to get a few pics...........what I saw were some tire tracks about 1/2 way up the wall & that was it. It seems as if the story teller might have pumped up the details a bit.............still a bad place to crash. check out this link for more photos inside our underground riding area.
http://www.geocities.com/roadmaster70/photopagespiral.html

canadian400ex
09-16-2001, 08:00 PM
I'd get too damn claustrophobic(sp?) in that tunnel bro! Looks almost spooky! How long is it? And how loud is a piped bike in that thing? Must sound like the freakin' hell's angels!

09-16-2001, 10:33 PM
This is a little safer!

bsr
09-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Dude, tunnel riding looks really fun. Must suck for the dude that wrecked in it. how long is that tunnel 3punks ??

4punksdad
09-17-2001, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by bsr
Dude, tunnel riding looks really fun. Must suck for the dude that wrecked in it. how long is that tunnel 3punks ??

That pipe is about 1000' long & has a 45 degree bend in the middle...........then it dumps into a box culvert (square pipe) which is about 10' square & about 3000' long with 3 or more 45 degree bends throughout.

canadian400ex
09-17-2001, 07:16 PM
How do the quads sound inside the tunnel?!? Must sound sweet!

Nausty
09-17-2001, 09:11 PM
Do you ever try to ride up the side of the turns in the tunnels like its a berm? That could get really fun taking that on my blaster on 3rd or 4th gear. Not for long though. lol

bsr
09-17-2001, 10:00 PM
Sweet where is this tunnel located ? that looks pretty scary, it would suck if you break down right in the middle ...lol.

4punksdad
09-18-2001, 02:56 AM
when you sit outside the box culvert & listen to bikes coming through, it can only be described as a "ROAR"...........the hum of tires mixed with the echo of the engines is awesome.

the tunnel is located about 4 miles from my home.........front royal, va

bsr
09-18-2001, 12:46 PM
I live like 2 hours or so from front royal VA, I'm assuming its not a legal riding area. Have you ever been riding in maryland ? You should go to green ridge state forest, it should only be like an hour 1/2 from where you live.

4punksdad
09-18-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bsr
I live like 2 hours or so from front royal VA, I'm assuming its not a legal riding area. Have you ever been riding in maryland ? You should go to green ridge state forest, it should only be like an hour 1/2 from where you live.

legal riding area??????????? you mean a pay to ride place?.............no, its free :) ............I have never been chased by the cops, unless riding on the pavement. I find that if you ride slow past the problematic places, most folks will leave you alone........u know, respect?

never been to green ridge........do they have a website?

bsr
09-18-2001, 05:43 PM
Yeah they do have a website its:

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/greenridge.html