PDA

View Full Version : pilot jet help

2004exrider
03-07-2005, 03:04 PM
i need some help, right now i have a k&n filter, hmf slip on, and a stage one cam. the main jet is a k180 (any thing else was still to lean) :huh and am wondering if anything sounds weird about that ... i am also putting in a #42kehin pilot soon and if there is any adjustments ill have to make thank you

eagertorace
03-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
i need some help, right now i have a k&n filter, hmf slip on, and a stage one cam. the main jet is a k180 (any thing else was still to lean) :huh and am wondering if anything sounds weird about that ... i am also putting in a #42kehin pilot soon and if there is any adjustments ill have to make thank you

I took the choke off mine and put in a 42 pilot. You shouldn't be running lean with a 180 main. I've got a 160 main in mine. It depends on what elevation you're at.

2004exrider
03-13-2005, 07:33 AM
also wondering, is it necessary to drop the needle if it runs fine with the jet i have, and if i do will i have to go down a couple jet sizes to compensate for amount of fuel?
Oh yeah, the k175 was to lean the k185 to rich so im hoping the 180 will be right.
ps, not sure of elevation but i live north in ohio

thanks

bonified5
03-13-2005, 09:20 AM
why do u take the choke out? Wouldent that cause it not to start?

FF1O5
03-13-2005, 09:26 AM
No it would not,the stock 400ex carb has an accelerator pump(not sure what exactly it does,but I know you dont need a choke),so all you have to do with no choke is pump the gas once or twice before starting and it will fire right up!(with a #42 pilot jet)

The choke itself,a butterfly valve, resticts air from flowing to its full potential in the stock carb,so when you remove it,you notice a little gains in acceleration,ect.A very cheap(basicly free except the cost of the #42 jet),easy mod for a few extra ponies!

EDIT:in the "articles" section of this site there is a how-to on how to remove the choke,ect.

2004exrider
03-20-2005, 10:24 AM
wow, got that pilot jet in and it runs awesome. 30 degree weather and didnt even need the choke.wish i would have done that a long time ago