PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean a new Helmet.

Lando
03-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Ok, so I went out and bought a brand new shiny helmet HJC CL-X4 Logic black/silver. I went riding this weekend splashing mud speckles everywhere and was wanting to know what the best way you all have found for cleaning a helmet? I don't wanna know what material or substance you use to clean but more about the manner in which you clean it.

Do you just take a wet towel to it or do you use the power washer on it? Was curious if I take a power washer too it will getting the interior padding of the helmet wet hurt anything or will it be ok just having to let it dry?

I guess my main question is: So is it ok to soak the whole helmet or should I be careful about not getting the interior padding wet at all?

cds
03-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I just take several wet towels to the outside of mine. Yes, it's a little scratched up, but not too bad.

Dunno about your HJC, but on mine, the cloth lining snaps out. I put that part in the washing machine after it gets dirty and smelly.

I'm not sure what the likely consequences of repeatedly soaking the styrofoam padding, adhesives, etc. is.

Happy riding,

JOEX
03-07-2005, 11:04 PM
I have a similar HJC, not sure the model off hand. The piece around the ear should unsnap and the rest of the liner should come out, note the way it comes out for easier reinstall.;) I wash the innards by hand in the sink and the outside with what ever i'm washing the quad with. I'm not too concerned with how shiny it is:p

Sportrax10
03-08-2005, 06:54 AM
I would get one wet rag and get off the dirt, then a new one to wipe the whole thing off with...

Id probably take the visor off, and clean that in the sink...

Whenever nessesary Ill take the padding out and clean it in the sink...

cjkranz
03-08-2005, 08:32 AM
try this for next time. Use a good automotive wax (or plastic wax) on your helmet. Put several good coats on it. The water, mud, dust, etc will just wipe off. Works great and keeps your helmet looking great.

chevy19
03-10-2005, 07:23 PM
i usually clean mine off with a damp rag of paper napkins then i let it dry and but a good coat of wax like mothers and do like 2 or 3 coats and then its good for a couple months the mud dosent stick as easy with the wax