PDA

View Full Version : help me out

GreenBuds420
03-07-2005, 06:18 AM
hey whats up guys i want to put an exhaust on my stock 400ex please someone explain to me an exhaust setup. i know i cannot just put an exhaust on the bike. If i need anything else air filter etc.. please let me know thanks for ur help

DaleJrFan
03-07-2005, 06:32 AM
your best bet is to put a k&n air filter on and go with a full exaust system. throw your air box lid away and re-jet according to you alittude and riding.

hardkoratvmxr
03-07-2005, 06:34 AM
When most people buy an exhaust the usually change the stock air filter to a high flow airfilter just to get the amount of air going in matching what is going out. You will also need to change your jets and needle to accomodate the amount or air with the right amount of fuel. And depending on your riding type ex. mx,gncc,trail ride. you might want to take off the air box lid for additional air. but in doing so if you dont have a good well oiled filter that could be bad for the engine.

GreenBuds420
03-07-2005, 06:35 AM
i dont really have much money to spend in one shot what is the very first thing i should do k & n air filter and jet kit?

DaleJrFan
03-07-2005, 07:31 AM
yes,for now, than get a full exaust

duke416ex
03-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Every mechanic in my area says not to run a k&n without an outerware, but it is pretty dusty here in the summer. I have one on my bike and have never had any trouble, but I am also not a uni fan.

aviator4
03-07-2005, 08:18 AM
I'd have to agree with your mechanics. An outerwears is cheap compared to the investment you have in your quad. Why risk it? I've got both the UNI and the K&N. the K&N is easier to oil back up, but the UNI is easier to clean. The Dyno shows no difference between the UNI and the K&N, when they are both properly oiled. The K&N is a little more expensive, but it does a better job of keeping fine dust particles out of the engine, IMO.

But definatley go with a filter first, then get your jets, THEN get your exhaust. Don't get just a slip on. Go for the gusto and get a FULL system, including the header. Sparks and HMF seem to be the top exhaust systems right now, but they're pricey.

I will have my full LRD system for sale here in the next few weeks simply because I'm putting a new Sparks system on my bike (it's going on a showroom floor at a local shop and thats what the sell). If you're interested, I would sell it to ya. There's nothing wrong with it in the world. It was just re-packed. By no means is it falling apart. I can send pic's if needed.

GreenBuds420
03-07-2005, 03:30 PM
how much is your full exhaust system?

DaleJrFan
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
depends on what kind you want, I am getting a curtis sparks for $440 from a local shop. a slip is around 250 or so,again depending on the brand you get.

aviator4
03-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I would let it go for $200 and will throw in new exhaust seals. Hows that?

DaleJrFan
03-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Hey Victor, I will buy it for 200 if you wanna get rid of it. I will call you later tonight or tommorrow. -Steve

aviator4
03-07-2005, 05:44 PM
The LRD is sold guys.