PDA

View Full Version : best import (help)

Butters
03-06-2005, 09:32 PM
i'm sure you guys don't like imports but i do and i need some constructive help. what is a good import to get if i want to do some minor tuning to?? i'm not talking like massive wings and body kits i'm just talking wheels and tires and some very minor motor work. just something that is a daily driver and it be a hobby at the same time. thanks for the help.

rubiowner01
03-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Old style Honda Civic. Great gas mileage, all sorts of aftermarket parts for it, and you can find them used for a very good price...

alimdar2times
03-06-2005, 09:43 PM
I had a '96 Eclipse that I was particularly fond of. Useless back seat, kinda hit/miss on the fit and finish, but there are tons of parts for these as well.

knighttime
03-06-2005, 09:44 PM
:eek2: :confused:

exatak199
03-06-2005, 09:54 PM
a talon would be a good choice, the turbo charged ones have good power and still get good gas mileage.

Bush0102
03-06-2005, 09:57 PM
civic, accord, or prelude. can't beat honda reliability. The Talon is a DSM car, and that motor is known for grenading

exatak199
03-06-2005, 10:01 PM
not all are bad my moms old 1991 had 220 thousand miles before it was rebuilt and it was drove HARD.
there are some bad apples but they are still a good car.

400exPete
03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Depends on what your looking for. New or used. Turbo or not. Good gas mileage or ok gas mileage, etc, etc. The car I would buy right now is a Subaru WRX. They are starting to really deal with these cars and they haul butt. They also get pretty good gas mileage and are AWD.

AlbaKFX
03-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Stay away from the Civic if you want to tune and turn your car into a hobby... the only thing you'll end up doing is regretting it when you go to buy performance stuff and they do nothing for you.

Like exatak199 said, get a Talon. I had a couple, my favorite was a '94 TSi, and it was absolutely sick. The car will launch hard stock, and with a couple grand in a bigger turbo and decent intercooler with a boost controller, you'll have a domestic-killer unless they have some mods as well. In my experiences with them, the engines held up very well to hard driving, tranny and clutch held up to launches (stock) and everything ran cherry unless you abuse them/dont keep up with maintenence.

Mxjunkie
03-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I say get a toyota supra, but what do i know i like muscle cars

Thump_It
03-06-2005, 11:26 PM
WRX is the way to go if you are into that kinds stuff. If you do decide to go with a Honda I'll sell you a sweet Maxwell coffee can exhaust. It get's much better hp numbers than the Folgers exhausts.

rider250ex
03-07-2005, 06:53 AM
240sx. one of the coolest affordable imports.

TGW_400ex
03-07-2005, 07:19 AM
better run some NOS:devil:

Butters
03-07-2005, 10:52 AM
i was looking more towards good gas mileage. i have an accord right now that my sister is getting that gets 30mpg and i was looking to get at least 25. i was looking into a toyota celica or a hyundai tiburon. what do you guys think about them.

Butters
03-07-2005, 10:59 AM
to further clear things up i am looking at used but i am looking at newer used like 95 and above. i love the wrx but they are kinda expensive.

Bush0102
03-07-2005, 11:30 AM
i'd say no to the hyundai

Butters
03-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
i'd say no to the hyundai

why is that?? they have those really good warrantys

Butters
03-07-2005, 08:03 PM
what about a mitsubishi 3000gt?? anyone ever had one??

rider250ex
03-08-2005, 06:15 AM
i only like the 3000gt VR4. most people have the sl and think they are fast. but a good VR4 is pretty expensive

Bender
03-08-2005, 07:53 AM
2 things that matter most. Turbo and RWD or AWD. Don't waste your time and money with a FWD car. You can mod turbo's cheaply for the amount of HP/torque you'll get over modding a NA car.

250R-Dee
03-08-2005, 10:32 AM
GNX or Typhoon:D

Sorry, those are import cars for me:blah:

I cruise the island in a HONDA Integra (http://www.cardomain.com/id/ruttt) that I built myself. Don't argue with me on the Honda part because right hand drive(RHD) Acuras do not exist. Honda's are easy to build but if you are looking for something sporty and quick from the factory I'd say get a Stupra (Supra), Eclipse/Talon, EVO or WRX. If you have the loot why not snag up an R32/33/34 GTR. Too bad you guys get price gauged to death because a 400~600WHP GTR over goes for the same price as bone stock R32 GTR in the US. All cars/motors have a limit but nothing compares to the 2JZ motor in the JZA80 Supra. Many people have gotten 600~700whp on a stock bottomends but with huge turbos and add-on parts that really hurt the wallet.

Don't forget about the US turbo cars like the Mustang SVO/turbo Capri, Merkur XR4ti, Grand National, Turbo TA, Syclone/Typhoon and so forth.

The Mitsu 3000GT is a PIG that is a nightmare to upgrade. I can ramble on about cars for days. :devil:

Just so you'll know--- My slow little Honda has been known to embarass quite a few AWD and RWD cars with deep pocket tunes. Power to weight ratio is a killa. The newest version of my setup will be cruising next week with 400~550whp. Output will depend on the boost level settings.

Must add this too - If you do get a Honda, make up your mind about what you want to do. Either show or go because a show and go car will totally rape your wallet. N/A Honda's are boring unless you run a high compression, big cam, hybrid setup that you can only drive on the track or from gas station to gas station. Sorry, I told you I can ramble on for a while.

400exPete
03-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Since you are on a budget (just like everyone else) that would change my answer some.
The Eagle Talon/ Mitsu Eclipse/ Plymouth Laser line of cars are a great starting point. They are easy to find, have tons of parts available, and are realativley cheap. The only problem is trying to find one that hasn't been beat by the previous owner. These cars are very easy to get into the 12's in the quarter, can be driven in any weather and get decent gas mileage. Don't shy away from the front wheel drives either, I have seen plenty of them making low 13 high 12 second passes.
Hondas are great cars but are very expensive to modify and even harder to make really fast. There are plenty of fast Hondas out there, but there are plenty of guys with 20 grand on their credit cards, too.
Other older cars that hold up well and are underated are the older 300ZX and Toyota Supra. Everyone wants the twin turbo models, mostly for thier looks, but the older models can be put into the 12 second category relatively easily as well. The nice thing is you can pick up one of these cars cheaply. But they are RWD.
It basically depends on what you want. I would personally pick a turbo car since they are so much easier to make faster. You just have to make sure the car was taken care of. Good luck.

LTZ400rider
03-08-2005, 02:31 PM
id get something with rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. wrx, rx7, supra