PDA

View Full Version : Blown Head gasket??

hondardr4life
03-06-2005, 04:29 PM
I was riding my 330 today, and all of a sudden, I lost all my compression. The motor kept running, but it woild not rev up, and it had no power. So I basically know that it has no compression. My engine will still start up and run, and it doesn't smoke. So I think that I blew my head gasket. What does everyone else think?. The only time my quad ever smokes is on startup, and thats just cause the rings aren't %100 sealed yet. So the only thing that i can think of that could be wrong is a head gasket.

2muchquad
03-06-2005, 06:20 PM
you could have jumped time ot a lobe could be rounded off on your cam.headgasket is a possibility as well,but usually once it cools down it'll be hard to start,every case could be different though,good luck;)

400exPIMPN420
03-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Hey, This recently happened to my friend with his blaster....pfffff a blaster thats the main reason...but anyway this may sound kind of off but check your spark plug to see if it fouled, because when the plug fouls all the combustion and nasty grimy **** on the plug can send weird signals and can cause the piston to mis fire.....if it doesnt get that technical tear the top end off your quad to check the top end gaskets..

* if there happens to be any leaking of oil on the top end then it's definately the gasket

hondardr4life
03-06-2005, 06:30 PM
I already replaced my plug, and checked a lot of stuff. I don't think it would run like that if the timing was off. I am going to try to turn the motor over by hand, while having the spark plug in it to see if I have compression.

Aceman
03-07-2005, 06:04 AM
My 330 kit uses a fiber gasket, not a steel one. When I put it together I used a copper head gasket spray, painted onto both sides of the gasket. After I put it together I ended up needing to tear my motor apart again and I couldn't even pry my head off my cylinder, that is how good it holds. No head gasket leaks for me. Have you checked your valve clearances also?

hondardr4life
03-07-2005, 04:04 PM
No, I havent messed with it that much. I think my head gasket was fiber too, it came with the FST kit. But I did not spray it with th estuff you said, where do I get that at? I am going to check EVERYTHING over again and again before I tear into the motor again, because thats not exactly what I had planned this weekend. I hoping its valves or anything but the gasket or piston rings, but like I said, I dont think its the rings. When I put my hand over the exhaust, I don't feel much coming out of it. I will go play with it a little tonite and post if I found anything or not. Just wondering, but why did you have to tear back into your engine?

hondardr4life
03-07-2005, 07:10 PM
This is just a thought, but could it be that my disc's on my pipe are clogged with carbon, and it is not letting enough exhaust outta the pipe. I was hearing that some 2 strokes did this when their spark arrestors got clogged up, and they run liek crap.:confused:

2muchquad
03-07-2005, 07:26 PM
check out your ignition system as well,i have heard the reverse inhibitor units can cause similar symptoms.if you can try a known good one to eliminate that problem.trycdi,coil as well.good luck;)

buildinitnow
03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
On my PWK carb, the circlip on the needle fell off, and it wouldn't rev up either. Who knows...........

hondardr4life
03-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Yea, I tore all my plastics and stuff off yesterday, and all I did to it was turn the motor over by hand. With the plug in, I would have to put some muscle into it when it hit the compression stroke. Now, I dont even know if you should be able to turn a motor with 11.1 compression over by hand or not? I am having my mom pick up a compression tester today, and I am going to run the test on it when I get home, then I will probablly tear down the carb if it has compression.

Aceman
03-08-2005, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
No, I havent messed with it that much. I think my head gasket was fiber too, it came with the FST kit. But I did not spray it with th estuff you said, where do I get that at? I am going to check EVERYTHING over again and again before I tear into the motor again, because thats not exactly what I had planned this weekend. I hoping its valves or anything but the gasket or piston rings, but like I said, I dont think its the rings. When I put my hand over the exhaust, I don't feel much coming out of it. I will go play with it a little tonite and post if I found anything or not. Just wondering, but why did you have to tear back into your engine?

It's a copper head gasket spray you can get from Napa or probably any auto parts store for that matter. If you can't find it on the shelf just ask the parts guy and they will know what your talking about. The reason I tore back into my motor was because the bearing on the end of the shift drum wasn't fully seated in my case when I reassembled it. So when I put the 330 kit in and took it for the first ride the transmission wasn't shifting properly. It kept kicking out of first gear.

hondardr4life
03-08-2005, 04:37 PM
Wow, you even tore into the bottom end. How complicated is that? Did you put in a wiseco rod or something?

Aceman
03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
It's not to bad if you follow the manual. There are a lot of steps but if you're mechanically inclined it's definitely worth doing yourself. Oh yeah, after you've torn into the bottom end once, it's way faster the second time around.;) The reason I tore it down is I had to helicoil the oil drainplug hole. I only wish it was to install an aftermarket rod though.

duke416ex
03-09-2005, 07:40 AM
You can turn an 11.1 by hand, but it is hard, I would check in the carb like the other guy said, I had a friends whos 300 did about the same, they had put a jet kit in it and either the needle or the main jet came lose, but anyway it was like it was trying to rev but couldn't, but it started fine.

hondardr4life
03-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok, I think I figured out my problem:D :D . I am pretty sure I snapped a throttle cable. The slide in the carb will not move up and down when I push in the gas and let it out.

Aceman
03-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Woohoo, an easy fix. And it's cheap too.:D