PDA

View Full Version : paint

Eddiesanders250
03-06-2005, 04:17 PM
i sanded down some old fenders. how should i paint something like this?

GreenBuds420
03-09-2005, 08:00 AM
sorry man u cant paint the fenders

aviator4
03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Actually yes, you can paint the plastics.

There are professional paints designed for flexable plastic surfaces just like this. the paint is rediculously expensive, but it won't flake off. Sorry, I don't know the name of the product.

The other option would be to try the new Molecu-bond paints from... Krylon... I think. It's designed to paint plastic surfaces and actually bonds to the plastic, at least thats what they claim. people have had good success with it.

03-09-2005, 11:35 AM
i would just sand them down gradually, using a higher grit each time, until you get to about 2000 grit, then shoot some clearcoat over it.. itll be as good as new when your done.

Jesse

watts16
03-09-2005, 08:35 PM
i heard that if you paint the plastics as soon as they flex or bend the paint may crack

Lolli2
03-09-2005, 08:40 PM
If you have it professionally done they add extra plasticizer or something like that in it. It's the same thing they paint car bumpers with, only they add more. It's very expensive to have done. We were quoted $600 to get a set of plastic professionally painted. You can use fusion paint, but it doesn't seem to hold up very well. I would do what Dirt Merchant says and just sand them done with finer sandpaper and clear coat 'em. Maybe plastic renew if you're gonna do all that sanding. We spray our plastic with foaming tire cleaner and they get really shiny, but I'm not sure that'll work after you've sanded them.

Ridin' Jesse
03-10-2005, 02:05 PM
The Krylon works pretty sweet...i used it to paint my x-box :D ..it turns out nice

GoOn3
03-10-2005, 02:37 PM
if you paint your plastics, and do it right, you have more money than brains. just buy new plastic in the color of your choice and add funky stickers.

duke416ex
03-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Go to your local ppg store, if thy are any good at all they can tell you what to use to make it work. Their is a primer that is better for plastic, and like they were saying stuff to put inthe paint to help it be flexible. Not cheap, but not $600. You can probably do it right for 200 or less yourself.