PDA

View Full Version : Will stock steering stem work with protaper bars and clamps?

Metzroth
03-06-2005, 02:52 PM
I have pro taper bars and the other day I flipped my quad and bent the steering stem really bad. The bars actually didnt bend very much, not even noticeable. Anyways I don't know what steering stem I had before because my quad was bought used. Does the stock steering stem work with the pro taper bars and clamps? What other steering stems work with pro tapers? If you have a steering stem that will work with them and want to sell it let me know thru a PM.

Kurt Glore
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
You really have two options. The stock stem will take pro tapers and so will a aftermarket. If you have oversized ( 1 1/8 ) bars you will need to specify that when ordering a aftermarket stem so they will send you the right bar clamps.

Metzroth
03-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I already have the clamps...

Metzroth
03-06-2005, 08:02 PM
So if I have the bushing and the clamp that holds the stem to the frame what all do i need other than the stem itself? Anything? I had the pro tapers mounted before and I have the clamps for them. The only reason i need a stem is because I flipped my quad and bent it pretty bad.

crazyelece
03-06-2005, 08:06 PM
You need a new stem and new cotter pins for the tierod joints.

Metzroth
03-06-2005, 08:17 PM
where can I get the cotter pins, and why can't i use old ones? (I have no idea what they are so that coulda been a dumb question)

Myrtle150
03-06-2005, 08:27 PM
you can get cotter pins at any hardware store (lowes, home depot...)

Kurt Glore
03-06-2005, 08:58 PM
You can use the old ones if you want, but new ones are cheap and I change mine everytime I remove them.

As far as a stem goes, I've raced with aftermarket and stock stems and the biggest difference is the anti vibe bushings in aftermarket stems. The anti-vibe cuts down on your hands getting numb when racing. If you are not racing, I would just throw a stock stem on there, you can get one frow www.planethondaracing.com for $55 - $60. When you go to the site click on OEM parts and your year EX and all of the parts on there are available for purchase.

If you decide to go aftermarket, I have had Aerns and Houser, and I would reccomend either, both worked great.

Here is an exact link to the stock stem for a 400EX. The cost is $57.83. The cottor pin is also on this page, the cost is $.34.
http://www.planethondaracing.com/cgi-bin/hondaparts/results_parts_details?mv_session_id=9cNDq5BJ&mv_pc=153&se=pg_d_id%3d669%20and%20pg_my_id%3d15

TORO1968
03-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Service Honda has the stock stem for $47.

I should know...I had to buy one after rolling my 400 and myself into a 60 foot deep ravine! :eek: :D

www.servicehonda.com

Metzroth
03-07-2005, 02:37 PM
actually im racing this season but I don't think im going to buy an aftermarket one because they are way too expensive for me. I guess i will get one from servicehonda. Thanks for all the help. If anyone has a good shape aftermarket one for pretty cheap let me know. Thanks alot. -Metzroth