PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Assembly

QuadMatt
03-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I have to replace some tranny gears on this 400EX motor. It turned out that second gear lost a tooth completely. I noticed it cuz the chain would jump in second gear, like it was too loose. But since it did it in second only, I knew it was internal.

So, I just replaced first and second gears with associated washers and bushings. I did not go past the snap clips. Just parts that slip onto the ned of the shafts.

I have the left case half with the fully assembled shafts, shift drum and forks along with the shifter shaft. Now the CLymer manual states that once you put the right case half on, you should check the tranny for proper operation. I did this and found that in certain shift drum positions, the tranny would bind, like two gears where engaged simultaneously.

My Question - when the tranny is in the left case half, should i be able to go thru each gear by turning the shift drum. I can go thru some of the gears, but first gear binds. ALso, it appears that fifth is always engaged.

If someone with ALOT of experience in this matter can help me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks