PDA

View Full Version : Rear spring for 450r

K-Dub
03-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I am rather large person 6'3" 380 pounds and need a stiffer rear spring. I have an eibach spring that I bought 14 years ago and used it on my 88 and 93 CR250 and my 88 TRX250r, but its about 3 1/2 inchs to long to fit on the 450r shock. I have been looking but can not find one listed for the 450r, the 400ex is listed are they the same dimentions? I really dread having to deal with getting my suspension set up on this bike. When I raced my 250r and bought after market shocks I had to send them back 3 times because they couldnt comprehend a person my size doing 75-80 foot triple jumps. One of the techs told me he set the shocks up so I would have a plush trail ride. Finnally I sent them a picture of me over jumping my 75 foot triple bottoming out the suspension and springing the frame down in the middle (man that stock 250r frame was tough) before they would make the shocks and springs stiff enough. Granted this was over 10 years ago and havnt rode in 9 years till a month ago when I bought my 450r. Not planning on catching air like this on the 450r but after seeing the pics of the frames cracking I want to stiffen up my suspension, Ive all ready bottomed it out hard a couple times.

froride1
03-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Damn, I thought I was a big guy on a quad at 300lb. The spring is not the same as one on a 400EX. It is the same length but larger diameter. Eibach makes springs that fit but I don't know which one. I ordered one from C&D racing.

K-Dub
03-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any problem getting one stiff enough. I will give C&D racing a call.

froride1
03-06-2005, 09:03 AM
I haven't gotten the spring from C&D yet. Hope I will get it soon. I also put Works triple rate springs on the front. They had spring rates that work for big guys. You will probably need to have the rear shock revalved. The damping on mine, even full stiff, was way to soft. Mine is out being revalved now. I can't wait to ge the suspension dialed in, now it bottoms everywhere.

K-Dub
03-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Froride1 I called C and D today and ordered my spring. They said they shipped a spring today for a 300 # guy today and said theyed order me 2 sizes heavier. I figured it to be your because theres not alot of us out there. They said Ill need to make the high speed damping stiffer. 9 yrs ago when I used to race I revalved my own shocks and bike forks and my buddys shocks and forks. So Im going to try and revalve it myself first or Ill order a valve stack and do the labor myself. Thanks for the help.

froride1
03-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Yep, thats my spring. I hope it and my shock get here before the weekend. It's 75 Degrees and I want to ride. I can't wait to ride it with the suspension dialed in. WOOT!!
:D

400exvet
03-08-2005, 05:50 AM
I also put Works triple rate springs on the front. They had spring rates that work for big guys. You will probably need to have the rear shock revalved.

hey froride1, did you just put the works springs on without re-valving? I wanted to try that but I only got negative responses from people on here. Right now I have the GTThunder rear link and re-valve and it works great! I would like to get the fronts done sometime but would like to try just re-springing for now. If anything, it would make the front lower so I can level it out. The stock valving is working O.K. now so why would that change with new springs? I weigh about 180# and race XC. thanks for any advice, Doug

froride1
03-08-2005, 08:29 AM
I put the Works springs on the front without a revalve. I talked to the guys at Works and they said the stock front shocks are valved pretty siff and most people would like them better if they were revalved. But, they also said that someone that weighs as much as me might be able to get away with not revalving them. The suspension was so bad for me stock that I can't tell if they need a revalve or not. Once I get the rear dialed in and the correct springs on the front, I can ride it and see if the fronts need to be revalved. If they work ok, I'll leave them. But, if they are still harsh, I,ll get them revalved. Every bike and quad I have owned was a new machine once the suspension was spring and valved for my weight.

400exvet
03-08-2005, 09:13 AM
do you have a contact/number? did you order them by part no.? how much were they? do I need any special spacers or tools to install them? thanks

froride1
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
You can contact Works directly http://www.worksperformance.com/html/home.html
and ask for the triple rate spring conversion for the 450R. They will set you up with springs tailored for your weight and riding style. Most of the quad magazines have ads for the springs.

Install was easy, the directions that come with the springs are good. The only problem I had was the crossover rings were a ***** to get over the shock body. I had to file the inner diameter of the rings a little larger to slip over the shock body.

Here's a thread about the springs with some pictures.
http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=2964&hl=works++spring

froride1
03-08-2005, 09:44 AM
They cost $200.