PDA

View Full Version : do you have to adjust youre 400 ex valves????

whiteknuckle
05-06-2002, 07:00 PM
ok now im worried guys cause that diy valve adjustment review looks really really intimidating!! do i have to do this?? ive had my quad since may 5th! is this nessecary? it looks awfully detailed and id hate to mess it up! i am mechanicly inclined theres no problem there but ive never messed with the insides of motors only replacing the entire engine on cars is my arena of expertise so this is very alarming for me! so is this nessecary? thanks guys!

Ben
05-06-2002, 08:28 PM
May 5th, yesterday? If you have had it since last May you should adjust your valves. It is a really easy procedure that only invloves you taking off your gas tank. Any questions, just ask!

whiteknuckle
05-06-2002, 08:55 PM
oops man i feel stupid i mean april 5th lol ok ill just go smack myself now lol! anyhow ive had it for a month then! do i adjust them??? and it sounded more involved i mean alot more involved than just the gas tank being off. i guess if i had the instructions printed out and was looking at it it would make more sense!

ogryan400ex
05-07-2002, 08:40 AM
hey'
that is how i felt when i did mine the first time but it is not that bad.actually the worst part is taking off the plastic then you are home free. they have the exact directions on the ex tech section. if there is not enough info in that page go to atving.com they also have a page on how to do it. and i would not worry to much about it till it is two months old thats when i first did my valves.
Hope that gave you a little confidense.:D

05-07-2002, 10:17 AM
The only thing that looks hard to me is geting the feeler gauge in there. It looks like you have to bend it to get it in there? I would think if you have to bend it around it would be hard to get a good reading?:confused:

whiteknuckle
05-07-2002, 10:24 AM
yes me too i saw that and it looks difficult! also ive never been in thee before and im not sure what exactly it is that im supposed to be measuring witht the feeler gauge i mean that picture isnt exactly kodak quality there, so im a litlle in the dark! i wish that guy would come over to my garage for a couple hours!!! lol! anyway im not sure if it even has to be done and a torque wrench is expensive and i dont have one yet but im think auto zone does a free tool rental thing so ill check there! if i have to end up doing this job

redzoomer
05-07-2002, 07:57 PM
It's not that hard guys.. Just take your time and you'll be just fine.

R-Crazy
05-08-2002, 09:27 PM
i have had my bike for a year now and have not done that yet. i have not heard any ierd noise, but i guess it is time. how much do you guys usually adjust them?

dave