PDA

View Full Version : exuast wrap on a 400?

enduro400rider
03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
i was lookin through a magazine and saw some of that header wrap for cars to keep the temp down anyone ever use it on a 4 wheeler do you think it would work?

rubiowner01
03-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I have heard that it works pretty well for utility quads. The heat dosent seem to radiate out as much. Im sure it would work good with a 400ex though...

check it out here (http://www.highlifter.com/store/Heat-Fighter-Kit.html)

JDiablo
03-05-2005, 06:40 PM
60 degrees at the crank it cools it,although that would be nice i doubt that

400exrider707
03-05-2005, 09:05 PM
I always thought it would just hold more heat in personally. It seems like you would rather have the incoming air cooling your headpipes down. Would you wrap your oil tank in it? I know I wouldn't. It's a good question though. Maybe someone with some experience with it could let us know.........

K_Fulk
03-05-2005, 10:08 PM
It keeps the heat in the pipe. Thats what you want, the hotter the pipe the faster the gasses will exit the pipe.

The bad part about header wrap on quad is it gets wet and muddy. And steams like hell and looks bad after you go ride once or twice. Not to mention if you have a steel pipe it will rot away pretty quick. For quads I would just get the pipe ceramic coated. Does the same thing and looks a lot better.

khen
03-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I had header wrap on mine for all of last season. I actually took it off today for the first time to inspect my powerbomb header and there was some surface rust on it so I'm trying to decide if I'm going to put it back on or not. I really like how much cooler it stays around the engine and on my leg with it on. They sell a silicone paint sealant specifically for the wrap that I sprayed on it a couple of times over the season that's supposed to help keep the moisture out.

K_Fulk
03-05-2005, 10:57 PM
I've never heard of that sealent sounds like it would help.

When I used it I kept melting my boots, after 3 rides I would usually have it rubbed through anyway (dmc pipe). It did make a slight diffrence in power. But after awhile it just seemed like more hasssle then it was worth.