PDA

View Full Version : YFZ - 450R - Predator - ATK shootout!!!!!

citizennobody
03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
I am biased....guess who I wanted to win...

ATVsport.com (http://www.atvsport.com/output.cfm?id=934417)

Honda4trax250x
03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
thats odd that they put the pred in there, not at all like the other 3...

rollie
03-05-2005, 09:08 PM
they where talking about how the ATK was "too fast" or something in that :p

DRT
03-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
thats odd that they put the pred in there, not at all like the other 3...

True also they put the pred TLD additoin in there.They had that in a write up a month or 2 ago and said it had different shocks and a different gear ratio in the trans.But complain that the ATK had different shocks from stock.Kinda not right for them to complain about basicly a Cannondale Blaze and a TLD pred that has from the factory differnt shocks and gear ratio from a stock pred.
Oh just have to say I'm very bias on what to buy but what kind of professional test rider quotes himself as calling an ignition system as "Dumb".But then again its not good for an ATK to turn trail riding into trail racing and good for a Yammie in the trails to rev like a two stoke and have an "attack now " attitude.
Are shoot outs like this about who gives the magazine more money for advertizing ???After I read this the only thing they should have complained about the ATK is the HMF pipe .

03-05-2005, 09:36 PM
well that sucks....apparently I should of bought the YFZ for trail riding because this magazine thinks its better. I am glad I didnt get the ATK though because it would of been just too fast

Cody_300ex
03-05-2005, 11:02 PM
All I order quad mags for is the pictures so I can tape em on my walls, I like to read the readers letters tho.

03-05-2005, 11:11 PM
talking about the atk-"This often led to testers riding faster than they had originally wanted to."

So the ATK would be better if it was slower, or if they gave more money in advertisement?

Also,

"Like the Cannondale it was derived from, the ATK also emitted odd noises from its drivetrain or inner engine. Those mysterious sounds never inspired confidence and plagued the Cannondale engineering department for years. ATK says it addressed this issue by hiring former Cannondale engineers and then modified the clutch hub and other parts. "

Did ATK fix this solution or does it still happen??? This quote says both.

SRH
03-05-2005, 11:47 PM
i think maybe they met the atk had so much more power you could over ride the chassis capabilities much easier, and it could benefit from a rear suspension setup more similar to the yfz 450, and perhaps change its frame geometry to aid its cornering better and carry a lower center of gravity making it more comfortable to use the large amount of power it produces, also the technological advancements really show atks dedication to advancing the futur of atvs but is it really necessary, what benefits as of this time are you gaining by its efi ,etc. quads such as the 450r, yfz, predator are on par with it and there much simpler for the average guy to maintain, in our opinion this is a disadvantage to the quad until it becomes apparent this is an advantage over the competition, not to mention i can run to the local yamah dealer and get parts in a matter of hours not wait for them from atk, these things are holding atk from sitting in the number 1 spot

hey...im waiting by the phone atv sport...give me a call:p

danyeo
03-06-2005, 01:55 AM
That was a lot of BS in that shootout. First they said the ATK had too much power for trail rides and they said it felt like a 250r. THEN they praise the YFZ for having strong power and snap whcih makes for good trail riding. SOunds like Yamaha had lots of ads in that magazine. OH yeah, and did you guys notice which quad was fastest. NOT the yfz. ALthough to be fair, the ATK does have an aftermarket muffler on it. If the YFZ had a pipe then the numbers would probably be closer. And at this point i just can't trust ATK or anything made by Cannondale after what i went through.

citizennobody
03-06-2005, 10:14 AM
First, off the other 3 were stock and the ATK was stock modded, it came from the factory with an aftermarket pipe and shocks and etc. Put a pipe on the YFZ and you will see what I see when I race Cannondales, nothing but empty space in front of me. It is possible to get the 450r to that point but you have to stick ALOT more $$ in it than the YFZ just to make them equal....

Second, a quad can be too fast for itself, for example, put a 450kit on a stock Z400 and stock suspension and see what happens. If it isn't built to handle the motor then you cant ride it fast. The YFZ is built to handle itself, but I have managed to take mine too a level where now I MUST get +2 a-arms and a +4 axle, just to handle the new power the way I want......

Finally...the YFZ WON>>>>>AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jb500ex
03-06-2005, 11:00 AM
but when they did a torture test with the real pro racers and not magazine guys the yfz did horrible, everyone got off and said how much they hated the yfz

citizennobody
03-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by jb500ex
but when they did a torture test with the real pro racers and not magazine guys the yfz did horrible, everyone got off and said how much they hated the yfz

Yeah I always find that comment amusing because everyone acts as if tuning a suspension is like McFly trying to rebuild the Flux Capacitor in 1957.....