PDA

View Full Version : Stock Shocks vs. Aftermarket.

250-R-250
03-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey,
I am trying to decide on shocks to finish up a project..I realize that I can get Stock shocks for very cheap..Money is VERY limited as funds are low....

Here is my problem...I want to be able to ride the bike as soon as possible...And It will take me at least 2 months to save up the 500 for Used aftermaket shocks....How are the stock 250R shocks and how do they compare to aftermarket..If you have any let me know.
Thanks

nacs400ex
03-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
Hey,
I am trying to decide on shocks to finish up a project..I realize that I can get Stock shocks for very cheap..Money is VERY limited as funds are low....

Here is my problem...I want to be able to ride the bike as soon as possible...And It will take me at least 2 months to save up the 500 for Used aftermaket shocks....How are the stock 250R shocks and how do they compare to aftermarket..If you have any let me know.
Thanks

It's a night and day difference. With aftermarket shocks they are tuned exactly for your specifications, this allows the bike to react to the rider the way it is supposed to. Not only does it make the quad handle better, but if you opt for SSD or ZPS shock it allows the quad to sit lower, preventing two wheeling. I highly reccomend buying aftermarket shocks for your R.

But if you cant wait for the cash, and want 250r stock front shocks. Go with 400ex front shocks rather then R shocks. They are pretty well the same, just a different color, but newer so the shocks wont be garbage.

250-R-250
03-05-2005, 04:25 PM
To be more excact...The shocks I am looking at are TCS Shocks....What are these like....any good...How adjustable are these...I can get front...and back ones for 400

Thanks.

cdrookie
03-05-2005, 07:06 PM
for the money tcs shocks are great. even if money isn't an issue they're still great, but you won't find them for $400. look for a set of cannondale speed or glamis ohlins. they were on ebay for $72 a piece brand new but i think nrel sold all of them. even used you should be able to find a set for under $150. they can be rebuilt and revalved as your budget allows, even can add ressies. and i'd say have your rear stocker revalved.

250-R-250
03-05-2005, 07:08 PM
I got a guy that I can get them from for 400...is that good price or should i go for works or ZPS

cdrookie
03-05-2005, 07:16 PM
tcs for 400 is a good deal but if they need rebuilt or aren't vavled close to your specs you will need to put some $$$ into getting them right. works shocks are good but need rebuilt more often than the other big manufacturers. ZPS stands for zero preload system it's just a term not a shock manufacturer.

250-R-250
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
OH ok ...Thanks for clearing that up:blah: :blah: :blah: I think I will just bite the dust and get the TCS.....According to you I wont be dissapointed....Can some one share their experience with these shocks as far as the product and Customer service?
Thanks

nacs400ex
03-06-2005, 11:01 AM
IMO TCS is great for the money, but not many people use them. I dont know if they still use the works style shock bodies or not, but the top sellers are Elka(SSD springs), Axis, PEP(ZPS springs).

$400 is an OK price, but chances are your going to have to rebuild the shock.

baker250r
03-06-2005, 06:57 PM
are ohlin piggy backs any good?

xlr810
03-07-2005, 08:46 AM
$400 for all 3 TCS shocks sounds like a GREAT deal to me. Even if they need service you are saving a ton of money over new, and they are far better than any stock shocks.

Baker250r-- I run Ohlins piggyback and I really like them. In fact I have them on 3 different quads now. They last forever. I've been trying to kill one of the sets for 10 years, and they still feel as good as ever...

nacs400ex
03-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by xlr810
$400 for all 3 TCS shocks sounds like a GREAT deal to me. Even if they need service you are saving a ton of money over new, and they are far better than any stock shocks.

Baker250r-- I run Ohlins piggyback and I really like them. In fact I have them on 3 different quads now. They last forever. I've been trying to kill one of the sets for 10 years, and they still feel as good as ever...

My bad I thought it was just for fronts.