PDA

View Full Version : cracked axle carrier?

nemesis
03-05-2005, 12:16 PM
I am putting in a G-force axle and when I took out the axle carrier I noticed that it had quite a bit of stress cracks. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I get a new carrier?

wheeltrax
03-05-2005, 12:43 PM
I would get an aftermarket billet carrier. They are much better then stock, plus the bearings and seals are installed already. They come in either tapered or dual row.

standardryder
03-05-2005, 07:24 PM
my bearings were bad in my axel carrier and when i took it off to replace them it was corroded so bad it broke. so i got a lonestar racing axel carrier, its nice. but the axel locknut keps loosening:confused:

FoxRacing81
03-06-2005, 08:40 AM
wrap the locknut and axle with electrical tape. Like start on the axle then go around the lock nut so it stays one with the axle.

-mx

QuadMatt
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
There are cheap bearing carriers available, for like $120. Check Ebay. But be warned, they are like disposable. You cannot change the bearings in them. The reason is that they advertise "Dual Row". They do have dual rows of bearings, but they are often an odd-ball size that, altho not impossible, are not easily found by most people. ALso, the carriers are machined poorly. So you can run into problems like i had. The sleeve that goes between the bearings is made of exhaust pipe. Not the machined sleeve a stock application has. SO, when i took mine apart, i found that the sleeve was cut a little too long. As a result, what they pressed the bearings into the carrier, the sleeve crushed. When it crushed, it went off center and rubbed against the inner wall of the carrier.

I wound up putting single bearings into an old stock carrier. I figure, single bearings are less friction :)