PDA

View Full Version : yfz450 timing advance

sandnmyteeth2
03-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Has any body put a timing advance in ther yfz.Where did you get it and how do you like it? What did it cost? Right now I have A Dr D slip on , a K&N and a dyno jet kit. THANKS

JMX
03-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Im not sure if im thinking of what your thinking of but are you talking about the cam mod? You advance the timing on the cam sprocket a tooth ahead. Doesn't cost anything unless you have to pay somebody to do it.

ketchup
03-05-2005, 08:05 AM
No, no, no...for the cam. mod. you retard the exhaust cam. one tooth. To advance your ignition timing you need either a Dyna or Vortex CDI. Both will allow you to advance ignition timing.

sandnmyteeth2
03-05-2005, 11:11 AM
what does retarding the exhaust cam do?

ketchup
03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
It moves your powerband further up in the RPM range and also adds power in the lower RPM range.

JMX
03-05-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by ketchup
No, no, no...for the cam. mod. you retard the exhaust cam. one tooth. To advance your ignition timing you need either a Dyna or Vortex CDI. Both will allow you to advance ignition timing.

My mistake... I haven't done it yet. I thought I just heard somewhere that you advance it one tooth.

5valves
03-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by JMX
My mistake... I haven't done it yet. I thought I just heard somewhere that you advance it one tooth.
You rotate the ex cam one tooth colck wise, which retards your timing. This is the same timing as the YZf bikes have.

jlhughes750
03-05-2005, 09:21 PM
....if i do the cam mod, will i really feel any difference right away???I've thought about trying it...when i first got the yfz i thought it was scary fast, now after a full season on it, i'm used to it!

Is there a noticable difference??
what was your first thought?

ketchup
03-06-2005, 11:19 AM
You'll def. notice the difference, not as much as aftermarket cams, but it's def. an improvement over stock timing.