PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hipers

PlayHard
03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
New here and new with beadlocks so...

...I received my Hipers this week and unfortunately I have a leaking o-ring (factory joint) on the back side of one of the fronts.

I'm also a little baffled on what size socket fits these bolts. The instructions say to use 7/16" which is too large. I tried all that I have and found a 10mm 3/8 drive socket that sort of works. All my other 10mm sockets won't fit and nothing else either. Is there a special socket for these that I should go buy or should have received. I usually don't have a problem like this but now that I have to disassemble the factory seals on the front wheel I need some help.

Another question. When you tighten down the ring, there is still a slight gap between the ring and the wheel when tight using the I-Razr. Is this normal for some of the thicker tires? I don't think I could crank it down tight even if I wanted too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Troy15x
03-04-2005, 08:39 PM
i don't know because I do not have hipers or the $ for them. But I can tell you if I bought them new they better fit perfect, and not have a problem with lug size or I would be TICKED. If you bought them new I would try and contact wherever you got them from and ask them your questions.

PlayHard
03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Nothing really wrong with them other than the factory o-ring seal leaking. The lugbolt pattern is fine and these are nice looking rims.

The bolts I'm refering to are not the lugs, rather the 12 bolts that hold the ring on.

JOEX
03-04-2005, 09:01 PM
I think you need to use a 6 point socket on the ring bolts. I had trouble getting the right socket in there too.

I'm not sure about the o-ring, I wouldn't be too happy about that either. Have you tried tightening down the center nuts?

The torque spec on both is about 10#

beak7707
03-04-2005, 09:29 PM
You will have to use a 12 pt socket. I just changed out my tires, I think it was either a 3/8 or 11/32. As for the gap between the ring and tire, No there should not be a gap, at least I dont have any gap. If they dont leak though i guess run with it. For the o-ring call hiper they will fix it. I had a bad insert in one of mine when I recieved them and they sent me another one.

PlayHard
03-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Finally found a 12 pt 3/8" socket. That is the right one that fits. 12 pt is the key.

I am a little concerned with the 1/8" gap between the ring and the wheel though. Looks like a good place to collect a lot of dirt.
Anyone else have this gap with any specific tires?

Thanks for the replies guys.

redred55
03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I have Irazrs all the way around with HIPERS also. Mine are tightened down with no gap. Torque the bolts like they say and they should line right up!

mountaineer
03-05-2005, 06:29 PM
I have the same gap 1/8" and my front tire always goes flat the other three I have no problem. But the instructions do say to leave a gap. I think I am going to tighten them down a bit to see if I can remedy my problem. I have had mine for a year and love them:D :D :D :

Ginxd00
03-06-2005, 08:33 AM
I always have to torque my rears down 3x. I go in a criss cross pattern. They reccomend 10lbs on the ring bolts. Remember its a plastic ring and will give false readings untill it is truly seated. Torque each bolt slowly, and you will see what I mean. After I go around each bolt 2x go around in a circle pattern and check the torque. I never had a tire go down due to a bead leak. I still have 4lbs in the rears after sitting for 2 weeks in the garage.

roughrider01
03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
I just mounted some new kenda klaw fronts on my hipers and couldnt get one of them to stop leaking. On my old tires i never used a torque wrench and never had a problem with leaking. I finally decided to use a torque wrench and found out that i wasnt even close to 10 lbs, after i tightened them more they were fine. Id recommend filling up your bath tub with water and checking for leaks, its hard to tell if you have a slow leak without doing this.

motoboy66
03-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Ginxd00
I always have to torque my rears down 3x. I go in a criss cross pattern. They reccomend 10lbs on the ring bolts. Remember its a plastic ring and will give false readings untill it is truly seated. Torque each bolt slowly, and you will see what I mean. After I go around each bolt 2x go around in a circle pattern and check the torque. I never had a tire go down due to a bead leak. I still have 4lbs in the rears after sitting for 2 weeks in the garage.

This did the trick on my buddies too. You do need to go over them at least three times with a torque wrentch. My buddy has all 4 and his do not leak a bit. make sure you have a good torque wrench, inch puonds are the best atthis low setting, just remember the conversion to get to pounds lbs X 12.

Toadz400
03-07-2005, 08:46 PM
I have had absolutely no problems with my HiPers and having them leak. I torqued them both down at least twice, and left no gap. I also had trouble finding the right socket, I didn't have any 12pt's.

walker054
03-08-2005, 09:30 AM
12 point socket for sure, also keep checking the tightness on your beadlocks after the first couple rides unless you used the torque wrench, I have bought 10 hiper wheels in the last year and on one set i had a bad o ring, just call hiper and they will send your dealer a replacement set of o rings for free. no problems with any of my other wheels since.