PDA

View Full Version : removing front end/shocks

sdmf665
03-04-2005, 11:48 AM
could i get a detailed list of how to remove the a-arms and shocks ? i should be getting my LT setup soon and want to have the bike ready.. thanks

schulte_85
03-04-2005, 12:08 PM
basically unbolt front end, take shocks off. The hardest part will be getting the ball joints out of the spindles, I usually loosen up the castle nuts and leave them on enough to were I can use a brass punch and hammer to force the ball joints to pop out of the spindle. There is also a ball joint puller you could buy too. Have fun

aviator4
03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Once the bike is on its' stand, you can unbold the shocks and remove them.

then remove the tie rods by popping out the joint on the SPINDLE side then unscrew the tie rod, leaving the inboard joint alone.

With the shocks out of the way remove the castle nut that holds the top A-arm on then spin it back on the ball joint backward (with the castelated side facing the spinde. then loosen the bottom nut and bring it flush with the top of the threads Next, I put a piece of steel square tubing (or any other hard object that size, like a large socket would work) that will fit between the two ball joints. spin the backwards castle nut down, putting pressure between the two ball joints with the square tubing.. With the right amount of press, the top joint will the pop out. by bringing the bottom nut flushs with the top of the threads, you prevent marring the threads or mushrooming them. putting the top castle nut on backwards lets you use the smooth side of the nut to push down on the wedge in between.

Now, you can do the same with with the bottom joint by using a bigger wedge (square tubing, socket etc.) that goes between the bottom ball joint and the top of the spindle.

With the spindle removed you can unbolt the A-Arms and remove them.

Repeat on the other side.

It shouldn't take long, it's pretty easy.