PDA

View Full Version : broken k&n...any1 else?

culookn
03-04-2005, 07:48 AM
ive used k&n filters on all of my bikes over the years and never once had a problem. well a few weeks ago i took my 450r out for a ride like i always do and after about 15 mins of normal riding it just shut off. thought it maybe ran out of gas but it had plenty of gas. got it home and i figured i check the filter to see if maybe it was clogged or something but it was fine to so i kept kicking. no luck. then i noticed the filter was loose when it goes into the collar where the carb is. so i took off the other end of the filter and took it out and their it was. a piece of the plastic collar broke off(about the size of a quarter) and made its way into my engine somewhere. called k&n and they said they would cover any damages after my dealer inspects it and gives me an invoice showing the cost in replacement parts along with damage. the piece of plastic has to be in the cylinder right? what kind of damages should i expect ( new piston and rings, cylinder, valves?)

Raptorride
03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Check your carb then you could check your cylinder. It all depends on what it could have tore up.

beak7707
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
I would think it is in the carb too. Probably pluged something up in the carb thats why it died. I dont think it would have made it to your cylinder, could be stuck on a valve. I would look into the carb first.

Matt400ex_17
03-05-2005, 09:55 PM
A screw once somehow got into my motor on the 400ex and never made it to the cyllinder it got stuck in the intake valve area and bent the valve. So the valve would not seat and it had no compression! Dealer wanted $650 for the job. I Bought a new valve compressor from craftsman 4 new valves, keepers, and springs and fixed it for less than $125.

Jersey450R
03-06-2005, 06:42 AM
dam you guys have the worst luck with your quads. :(

450 Racer R
03-06-2005, 07:48 AM
just keep riding it hard. if something breaks, fix it

culookn
03-06-2005, 01:49 PM
tell me about it. seems like one thing after another. oh well. ill have it built by the spring time.